Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Confused on terminology >

Confused on terminology

Confused on terminology

Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Exactly what is the definition of a scrappy quilt? If you buy the material just for that quilt is it a scrappy quilt? Does it have to be made from leftover scraps? Can it be called a scrappy quilt if it is made according to a strict pattern and color scheme if it is still made from scraps? The term "scrappy quilt" sounds as if the design or effort isn't as first class as other quilts. Surely that can't be correct. Are scrappy quilts as hard to make as other quilts? And, second question, what is a string quilt? Thanks for the help on clearing up my confusion.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Scrappy to me, means using a lot of different fabrics. Whether you buy them or pick them out of your stash or scrap bin is irrelevant.
These used to be made by dipping into the scrap bag, but the end result is the same :wink:
Some are totally random in the fabric placement, others may be separated by lights/darks. There are some who try not to place to like prints/colors side by side.
There are those who literally reach in and blindly grab a piece from a shopping bag... what ever they grab is what is used next. Others need to plan a bit more than that, or totally separate their scraps out by color. Personal preference seems to determine just how scrappy a scrappy quilt turns out :D

String quilts are made by using narrower strips of fabric, usually but not always scrappy. :D:D:D
Old 02-04-2011, 10:20 AM

Good answer.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 AM

Scrappy to me is using what you already have on hand, or your stash and to include variety of what you want to incorporate to make it look scrappy.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....+Quilts&u=&s=5 This link is to a lot of scrappy quilt photos.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:47 PM

I'm a grabber.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 AM

I did a paper pieced 16" star block quilt with narrow, leftover strips or strips cut as needed from small scraps. I discovered in the process that the less attention I paid to which strip next, the better the finished block looked--and the clashing colors actually added to the overall effect. With the random choice method, the eye isn't directed into any one place, so the overall design once the blocks were sewn together shows as a unit rather than as blocks of color.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 AM

I love scrappy, more different fabrics in my quilts the better I like them, & enjoy making them. For me they are more work, cause I mostly cut out bunches as I go, & being each one is different, you get the picture. You just have to find what you love making, & go with that...
Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Scrappy to me, means using a lot of different fabrics. Whether you buy them or pick them out of your stash or scrap bin is irrelevant.
These used to be made by dipping into the scrap bag, but the end result is the same :wink:
Some are totally random in the fabric placement, others may be separated by lights/darks. There are some who try not to place to like prints/colors side by side.
There are those who literally reach in and blindly grab a piece from a shopping bag... what ever they grab is what is used next. Others need to plan a bit more than that, or totally separate their scraps out by color. Personal preference seems to determine just how scrappy a scrappy quilt turns out :D

String quilts are made by using narrower strips of fabric, usually but not always scrappy. :D:D:D
Well put. In however, can NOT do scrappy....I tried. About drove myself even more crazy! Lol. Guess I must have a touch of OCD. I will try again though. I took an accounting class at the local college just because I don't like accounting. So I am sure I will challenge myself again with a scrappy. :)
Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Gal

And then there is controlled scrappy..... being an artist I just can't seem to be able to get passed organizing my scrappy into colour co-ordinated designs, I know what I should be doing but I drive myself crazy changing things around when I don't like how they have come out of the bag! I guess it is all about colour for me! Scrappy is my fav tho!

Gal