Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Confusion with Warm Wishes

Confusion with Warm Wishes

I've got the pattern and have looked at others on the web. I've only found one that gave actual strip sizes. Each pattern I've looked at says 6" focal and the 3 strips are to be cut 2", 3" and 2". That adds up to be a 7" block when the focal is 6". I think I'm losing it. Someone help, please?
    Never outsmart your common sense.

Karen

Power Poster
    According to my math, After sewing them together in a square the 2 inch becomes 1,3/4 and the 3 inch becomes 2,1/2. So 1,3/4 +1,3/4+ 2,1/2= 6 but math is not my strong point so I could be wrong.

When you sew the three strips together, the seam allowances will reduce the finished block by 1 inch - equaling a 6 inch block.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

The difference will be taken care of in the seam allowance. Great pattern!!

Umm, guess I could have done the math on that one! Hey, it's a rainy, humid Sunday. I'm allowed a brain fart or two! Thanks Ladies!
    Never outsmart your common sense.

Karen

Power Poster
    When the strips are sewn together -

1.75, 2.50, and 1.75 will be 'showing' = and they will equal 6 inches - you 'lose' one inch to the seam allowances.

(1-3/4 + 2-1/2 + 1-3/4 = 6 inches)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
    Umm, guess I could have done the math on that one! Hey, it's a rainy, humid Sunday. I'm allowed a brain fart or two! Thanks Ladies!
    You just made me laugh, thats a good one. Plus, you are right we all are allowed to have those moments. Actually, some days, I have several an hour. LOL
    Brenda

I'm working on a Warm Wishes right now. My focus blocks are from a panel fabric, 8 inches, will be 7.5 inches finished. I had to do some math to figure out the size to cut the strips, but it works with other sizes than 6 inch focal if that's what you have to work with.

If for some reason you wanted to change the size of the strips, sew them together first, cut a square, then cut the focus blocks the same size.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

It does work out, I promise! I just finished a Warm Wishes top, this evening (lap quilt size). Mine is very purple. LOL
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I never heard of Warm Wishes, somebody post one please?

Here's a picture of the Warm Wishes lap-sized top, I just finished. When I chose the fabrics, I wasn't thinking about all the purple ganging up on it.
    Name:  WarmWishesTop.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  129.7 KB
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Nessie, I love your quilt and of course purple is one of my favorite colors!

Thanks, Crafty Darlene! I fell in love with the green, so got the other fabrics to "round it out." Gonna have to go back and try again, to see more of the green! Yeah, THAT'S why I need to go buy more fabric!
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Neesie,
    What an awesome color combination. I love purple and I am loving your quilt. Thanks so much for sharing the picture of it with us. I love the warm wishes pattern, have done several of them myself.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

Can't help you at all! I don't understand "math" at all!! Just need simple instructions on cutting fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
    If for some reason you wanted to change the size of the strips, sew them together first, cut a square, then cut the focus blocks the same size.
    That's how I do it. Sew the "stripes" together first. Measure. Whatever that measurement is, cut the striped piece into squares; then cut the focus fabric the same size. As Mary Ellen Hopkins would say, "It's YOUR measurement."
    One step at a time, always forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    I never heard of Warm Wishes, somebody post one please?
    Google "Warm Wishes free pattern." A great pattern comes up with good directions and illustrations.
    One step at a time, always forward.

dd
    Guess I did mine wrong. All my strips are the same width. doesn't look bad but I can see the frames in the purple quilt better. Love purple.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quote Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
    I've got the pattern and have looked at others on the web. I've only found one that gave actual strip sizes. Each pattern I've looked at says 6" focal and the 3 strips are to be cut 2", 3" and 2". That adds up to be a 7" block when the focal is 6". I think I'm losing it. Someone help, please?
    a block cut 6" with a 1/4 inch seam each side would end up being 5 1/2" finished. A 2" strip less 1/4" seams would be 1 1/2" and you've got two of them so total for those would be 3", the center 3" strip with 1/4" seams would end up being 2 1/2" added to the 3" from the other two is 5 1/2". So your strip unit is the same size as your solid focus unit.

Personally, I prefer larger focus blocks since most of what I've used so far is a bigger print.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    Guess I did mine wrong. All my strips are the same width. doesn't look bad but I can see the frames in the purple quilt better. Love purple.
    I didn't buy the pattern, just copied it the best I could. The center sort of neutral strip was a bit larger than the two outside framing strips---------so I usually allow about a inch more for the center strip as her pattern called for.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2 View Post
    Neesie,
    What an awesome color combination. I love purple and I am loving your quilt. Thanks so much for sharing the picture of it with us. I love the warm wishes pattern, have done several of them myself.
    Thanks, Myrna! Those fabrics are all from Hobby Lobby.

I really love the Warm Wishes pattern! So easy, yet looks as if it's much more trouble than it is. To top it all off, the pattern is FREE! Win/Win!!!
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Thanks, Myrna! Those fabrics are all from Hobby Lobby.

I really love the Warm Wishes pattern! So easy, yet looks as if it's much more trouble than it is. To top it all off, the pattern is FREE! Win/Win!!!

The Warm Wishes is quite impressive, yet ultra simple. And quick
    U N T I E

It's because of the seam allowances. I've made warm wishes with no pattern. I just decided on width of strips, sewed them together, then cut my focal blocks the same size as the width of the strips already sewn together.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicca View Post
    You just made me laugh, thats a good one. Plus, you are right we all are allowed to have those moments. Actually, some days, I have several an hour. LOL
    That remark is sooooo true in my life!!! ha ha ha I am having more of those days than not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast