Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Connecting Thread thread question.... >

Connecting Thread thread question....

Connecting Thread thread question....

Old 09-20-2010, 03:19 AM

I buy their thread and I love it. It isn't linty like other threads I've used in the past. It's also so smooth - I believe it's 100% Egyptian cotton if I'm remembering right.

I use both spools and cones. In fact, my friends and I are waiting for a sale... waiting... waiting... I know they'll have one sooner or later....
Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by trif
Im a rebel when it comes to quilting rules. when i sew or quilt with my bernina I love the look of the sulky rayon thread, and no big lint problem. However, My Bailey machine does not play nice with the sulky, so I buy the connecting threads brand which is much much cheaper. The downside is more lint and less shine,I dont think varigated thread has made it to connecting threads maybe someday.
They do have - or did - varigeted threads.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 AM

http://www.connectingthreads.com
Old 09-20-2010, 05:18 AM

For me, it was way more linty than any other thread I've tried and it broke constantly. Mainly when quilting or doing fusible web applique though-for piecing it's not too bad but I still have to keep an eye on it to make sure it's not getting all thin and about to break. Weird how it works differently on different setups.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:18 AM

Gale- I think that's the whole trick, different machines like different threads. Well, we do name our machines so just like people we are all different. LOL I also think it may have to do with our choice of needle size, tension, our sewing styles vary, why shouldn't our threads?!

So my best advise for a new quilter or new machine is to buy or borrow a spool of thread and try it out before you stock up.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:40 AM

I love Connecting Threads. I've ordered from them with no problems and they deliver in a couple days. I always wait untill I can put in a fifty dollar order so I can get free shipping. Love their thread and their fabric. I have also bought kits from them when they are on sale and have been very happy with them. I buy the smaller spools and they last a long time. A lot of thread on there.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:18 PM

Not only machines make a difference in how different threads act but the needle choice - style and brand. So just keep experimenting on your machine for the best results. I had a Kenmore that was a workhorse and would use any thread in a universal needle. Passed it on to DD when my Viking QDesignerll moved in and is it picky! A dream to sew and quilt with but must use Sulky or CT thread - No Coats and Clark.
Often if you're using 'good' thread and it is still breaking or shredding it is the style of needle. Eye too small or not elongated enough. Sometimes I have used a metalic needle with regular thread if the fabric is speciality fabric and the thread is breaking.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:29 PM

www.connectingthread.com is a wonderful website. They have a sale every week and I love their thread and fabric. I use the tubes which are 1200 yards per tube.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:32 PM

What is contraindicated? I am NOT in the nursing field.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:07 PM

contraindicated means not recommended.