Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Connecting Thread thread question.... >

Connecting Thread thread question....

Connecting Thread thread question....

Old 04-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TacoMama
Lady T, I don't know why the thread is not working for you. I love it and so does one of my quilting buddies. Are you going to sell it?
Will try a bigger needle as EasyPeezy suggested but if not.....it will have to GO!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:25 PM

I love their thread! I buy the spool not the cone. Price is good and they last a long time. Their fabric is fantastic and their customer service is great :thumbup:
Old 04-21-2011, 03:38 PM

I am using my first spool of thread from Connecting Threads. I like the thread very much. I have been using Guterman (sp) for quite some time now and didn't think I would like anything else but I think I will continue with Connecting Threads. As far as I know the price can't be beat for the same quality.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:07 PM

We purchased a few spools to try, and found that we loved it. All of our machines like it. It's a great value, and they have plenty of different colors. I buy the 1200 spools. The cones are not really a much better deal than buying 4 spools, so to me it isn't worth the extra hassle of using the cones with the sewing machines. Cones are fine for the quilter; it's made to handle them.

I also use CT in the bobbin of the quilter. It does make more lint than my second choice, Maxi-Lock 100% polyester, but I clean the bobbin area with each change anyway, so that's no big deal to me.

If I were you I'd order a spool or two and see how you like it. It's easy to get a $50 to get the free shipping. Check out their clearance fabric for $2.50 or $3.50 per yard. I have ordered some of that also, and it is silky smooth and a great weight.

Darren
Old 04-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnmom
If you go to the website for Superior Thread (www.superiorthread.com) they have an education tab. it will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about thread and then a whole lot more. Basically what I got from their site is that it's a personal preference. There is no right or wrong. According to their website if you ask alot of people why they use only cotton they will tell you that's how they learned and it was a tradition thing. Back in the day there wasn't any such thing as polyester or rayon. So, check out their website and I think you will find the right answer for YOU.
I just started quilting (FMQ) and love the Superior threads (King Tut). They sew very nicely, look nice and do not break nor throw off a lot of lint. We are quilting on a Juki machine...
Old 04-21-2011, 06:16 PM

I use the little spools and the cones from CT and love them both. I get white, black, beige, and gray in the cones and the small spools in colors.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:07 PM

I love CT's thread!!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:12 PM

[quote=yomomma43]One more question..... What is connecting thread? I'm new to quilting and have never heard of this. When I started machine quilting Joann's had thread for 1/2 off and I bought 8 spools of the cotton quilting thread. I hate it. It is as curly as curl ribbon. I wish I hadn't bought so much of it, but 1/2 off is a good bargain. Like my hubby says, it's not a bargain if you don't like it.[/quote

It sounds like you may have bought hand quilting thread, which is glazed, so that it won't knot up while quilting, it is kind of wirey. It should not be used in a machine.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 PM

connectingthread.com is the website that sells thread and other quilting supplies..........
Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lady-T
I purchased the Essential BRIGHTs and the FRESH thread collection sets. ($65.70) Beautiful thread.....
BUT
I've tried it and my machine does NOT like it! It kept breaking.
Soooo....I thought, OK, I'll use it for sewing on bindings. etc. It tangles & knots up constantly!

Never again will I buy anything other than Guttermann!!

And now I'm stuck with 30 spools of thread I can't use!
(only 4 opened and maybe a yd used on those)
Ditto for me. I bought several packs. I still haven't tried them again with my new machine and a bigger needle..