Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Connecting Threads & Fabric.com

  1. #1
    Super Member fabric_fancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    at my sewing machine
    Posts
    1,975
    i should mention that i shop online for fabric 99.99% of the time.

    when i receive fabric i inspect for flaws and that the length/width is correct the moment i open the boxes.

    Connecting Threads = ordered 9 yards of one fabric - measured it and it was 8 yards - i'm short an entire yard.

    called them and they said i have to send it back because its cut by a machine and its never off.

    i explained that the machine certainly does make mistakes because i'm looking at it.

    isn't it easier to put a yard in the mail to me - i don't care that its two difference pieces - i'm just gonna cut it up any way.

    she says, we have to confirm the mistake.

    i said, don't you think its a tremendous waste of money and time for a fabric that costs $4 a yard.

    i'm going to mail you 8 yards and then you're going to mail me back 9 yards - when just popping a yard in the mail today settles the problem.

    if you think i'm lying about the missing yard wouldn't i just cut off a yard now and send you 8 back???

    this isn't going to prove anything except that its not a cost effective way to do business.

    needless to say, neither her nor her manager saw the logic and they are paying to pick up the fabric and then paying to ship it corrected back out to me.

    shopping experience was a major fail!



    Fabric. com = i ordered 8 yards of one fabric and received 8.5 yards. then i ordered 3 other fabrics all 1.5 yards and received an extra 3 inches on all of those pieces.

    the fabrics look great and i saved either $50 from the other online sellers or $90 if i had purchased it from the LQS.

    plus i received 2 coupons in the package for my next purchases along with a free seam gauge.

    so over the moon transaction.

  2. #2
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,322
    Blog Entries
    1
    i've been shopping with fabric.com for over 10 years! for all kinds of fabrics not just quilting fabric. i have always had wonderful customer service from them- and there was a time when i received fabric that was the wrong fabric- i called ready to send it back- they told me to just keep it and sent out the correct fabric that same day- and the incorrect fabric was an expensive piece of fabric.

  3. #3
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,322
    Blog Entries
    1
    sorry for the double post- hit the button twice i guess ;-)

  4. #4
    Super Member Enchanted Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    porter ok
    Posts
    1,325
    Blog Entries
    3
    Fabric . com is great I really like there material . Good quick service.

  5. #5
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    The only thing I can say is, yes you saved money but Connecting Thread quality is not the same as Moda, Hoffman and the like. I buy from them often, but it's not LQS quality. Or at least MY LQS quality. I've had a few problems ordering from them, but they were always quick to fix it and I've never had to send anything back. But, with such a large amount of yardage I could see why they want to double check. I don't see this as a negative for their business practice. They're paying for shipping both ways.

  6. #6
    Super Member fabric_fancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    at my sewing machine
    Posts
    1,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    The only thing I can say is, yes you saved money but Connecting Thread quality is not the same as Moda, Hoffman and the like. I buy from them often, but it's not LQS quality. Or at least MY LQS quality. I've had a few problems ordering from them, but they were always quick to fix it and I've never had to send anything back. But, with such a large amount of yardage I could see why they want to double check. I don't see this as a negative for their business practice. They're paying for shipping both ways.
    i agree the quality of fabric at Connecting Threads is really bad - this fabric is extremely thin and i will only use it for backing on wall hangings (its that bad). i only purchased it because a customer gave me a gift cert.

    the fabric i got from Fabric.com is from Marcus Brothers and its amazing quality - no different at all from the LQS - i saved $90 compared to our LQS and i got the exact same quality.


    for me Connecting Threads is a negative - if i needed this fabric to start a project right away, it wouldn't happen. i'd have to put off the project and delay delivery to my clients.

    thats bad business for everyone and all over a $4 yard of fabric.

  7. #7
    Super Member oldswimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,234
    I have heard others talk about the fact that the quality of the fabric to come might not be what we are used to because of cotton shortages and high prices......it really bums me out to think about that, but we might be in that boat really soon. I am trying to build up a nice stash of the higher quality fabric now, while it is still around.

  8. #8
    Super Member SherriB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Quilting somewhere......
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    40
    I like the quality of the CT fabrics and thread. I have made a few quilts from their fabrics and they are holding up great and with many washing. I wouldn't be upset as long as they were picking up the tab and sending the correct amount. But if I had to pay to send it back, it would bother me.

    And I love the customer service at Fabric.com!!! I ordered 2 yards of orange flannel a few year ago. It came with a black smudge on a few places. I emailed them to let them know so they could fix what ever caused it. They offered to replace the fabric and me keep the original piece. I thanked them but didn't need it replaced. I was able to cute around the smudges with out any problem. I have been a huge fan ever since.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,736
    I have to go check out fabric.com now.
    Thanks,

    That is a really neat site. :thumbup:

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i should mention that i shop online for fabric 99.99% of the time.

    when i receive fabric i inspect for flaws and that the length/width is correct the moment i open the boxes.

    Connecting Threads = ordered 9 yards of one fabric - measured it and it was 8 yards - i'm short an entire yard.

    called them and they said i have to send it back because its cut by a machine and its never off.

    i explained that the machine certainly does make mistakes because i'm looking at it.

    isn't it easier to put a yard in the mail to me - i don't care that its two difference pieces - i'm just gonna cut it up any way.

    she says, we have to confirm the mistake.

    i said, don't you think its a tremendous waste of money and time for a fabric that costs $4 a yard.

    i'm going to mail you 8 yards and then you're going to mail me back 9 yards - when just popping a yard in the mail today settles the problem.

    if you think i'm lying about the missing yard wouldn't i just cut off a yard now and send you 8 back???

    this isn't going to prove anything except that its not a cost effective way to do business.

    needless to say, neither her nor her manager saw the logic and they are paying to pick up the fabric and then paying to ship it corrected back out to me.

    shopping experience was a major fail!



    Fabric. com = i ordered 8 yards of one fabric and received 8.5 yards. then i ordered 3 other fabrics all 1.5 yards and received an extra 3 inches on all of those pieces.

    the fabrics look great and i saved either $50 from the other online sellers or $90 if i had purchased it from the LQS.

    plus i received 2 coupons in the package for my next purchases along with a free seam gauge.

    so over the moon transaction.
    you did NOT get extra fabric from fabric.com...if you read their info they always sell you a METER, not a yard of fabric, you got what you paid for!

    as for CT, I have never had them tell me that...always just sent me the fabric I was short!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Vickymomof6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    823
    This is the first I ever heard of problems with Connecting Thread.... I have never bought from them. I have done business with Fabric.com and I'm happy every time.

  12. #12
    Super Member fabric_fancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    at my sewing machine
    Posts
    1,975
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i should mention that i shop online for fabric 99.99% of the time.

    when i receive fabric i inspect for flaws and that the length/width is correct the moment i open the boxes.

    Connecting Threads = ordered 9 yards of one fabric - measured it and it was 8 yards - i'm short an entire yard.

    called them and they said i have to send it back because its cut by a machine and its never off.

    i explained that the machine certainly does make mistakes because i'm looking at it.

    isn't it easier to put a yard in the mail to me - i don't care that its two difference pieces - i'm just gonna cut it up any way.

    she says, we have to confirm the mistake.

    i said, don't you think its a tremendous waste of money and time for a fabric that costs $4 a yard.

    i'm going to mail you 8 yards and then you're going to mail me back 9 yards - when just popping a yard in the mail today settles the problem.

    if you think i'm lying about the missing yard wouldn't i just cut off a yard now and send you 8 back???

    this isn't going to prove anything except that its not a cost effective way to do business.

    needless to say, neither her nor her manager saw the logic and they are paying to pick up the fabric and then paying to ship it corrected back out to me.

    shopping experience was a major fail!



    Fabric. com = i ordered 8 yards of one fabric and received 8.5 yards. then i ordered 3 other fabrics all 1.5 yards and received an extra 3 inches on all of those pieces.

    the fabrics look great and i saved either $50 from the other online sellers or $90 if i had purchased it from the LQS.

    plus i received 2 coupons in the package for my next purchases along with a free seam gauge.

    so over the moon transaction.
    you did NOT get extra fabric from fabric.com...if you read their info they always sell you a METER, not a yard of fabric, you got what you paid for!

    as for CT, I have never had them tell me that...always just sent me the fabric I was short!
    here's the link to what Fabric.com says - read our generous cuts section

    http://www.fabric.com/SitePages/WhyShop.aspx

    its 1 inch extra for every yard.

    i got an extra 3 inches on each of the 1.5 yards so that is more then what they say on their website that you will receive.

    it should have been 1.5 inches extra i got 3 inches extra.

    on the 8 yards that i ordered i should have received an extra 8 inches and i got 18 extra inches - that a full 10 inches more then they state on the website.

    it clearly says for every Yard (not meter) we cut you will receive another inch.

  13. #13
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I'm a big fan of Connecting Threads fabric. The quilts I have made using their fabrics from years ago are still very nice, no fraying or shredding at all.
    I have had a few problems with fabric.com which were taken care of but not without wasting a lot of my time getting the problems settled.

  14. #14
    Senior Member sew_southern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Posts
    870
    I've not had problems with either one, although I only buy charms, strips, etc. from CT. I love Fabric.com though because of the selection of designers, the free shipping with $35 purchase and they always send a coupon for a future purchase. And y'all know it doesn't take much to get the free shipping. :)

  15. #15
    Super Member Grandma58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    montana
    Posts
    1,424
    I agree with you about sending it back, your post made me laugh though.

  16. #16
    Power Poster dreamer2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    WHERE THE SUN ALWAYS SHINES
    Posts
    10,097
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i should mention that i shop online for fabric 99.99% of the time.

    when i receive fabric i inspect for flaws and that the length/width is correct the moment i open the boxes.

    Connecting Threads = ordered 9 yards of one fabric - measured it and it was 8 yards - i'm short an entire yard.

    called them and they said i have to send it back because its cut by a machine and its never off.

    i explained that the machine certainly does make mistakes because i'm looking at it.

    isn't it easier to put a yard in the mail to me - i don't care that its two difference pieces - i'm just gonna cut it up any way.

    she says, we have to confirm the mistake.

    i said, don't you think its a tremendous waste of money and time for a fabric that costs $4 a yard.

    i'm going to mail you 8 yards and then you're going to mail me back 9 yards - when just popping a yard in the mail today settles the problem.

    if you think i'm lying about the missing yard wouldn't i just cut off a yard now and send you 8 back???

    this isn't going to prove anything except that its not a cost effective way to do business.

    needless to say, neither her nor her manager saw the logic and they are paying to pick up the fabric and then paying to ship it corrected back out to me.

    shopping experience was a major fail!



    Fabric. com = i ordered 8 yards of one fabric and received 8.5 yards. then i ordered 3 other fabrics all 1.5 yards and received an extra 3 inches on all of those pieces.

    the fabrics look great and i saved either $50 from the other online sellers or $90 if i had purchased it from the LQS.

    plus i received 2 coupons in the package for my next purchases along with a free seam gauge.

    so over the moon transaction.
    you did NOT get extra fabric from fabric.com...if you read their info they always sell you a METER, not a yard of fabric, you got what you paid for!

    as for CT, I have never had them tell me that...always just sent me the fabric I was short!
    here's the link to what Fabric.com says - read our generous cuts section

    http://www.fabric.com/SitePages/WhyShop.aspx

    its 1 inch extra for every yard.

    i got an extra 3 inches on each of the 1.5 yards so that is more then what they say on their website that you will receive.

    it should have been 1.5 inches extra i got 3 inches extra.

    on the 8 yards that i ordered i should have received an extra 8 inches and i got 18 extra inches - that a full 10 inches more then they state on the website.

    it clearly says for every Yard (not meter) we cut you will receive another inch.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    252
    When I've had problems with Fabric.com they correct it right away. Their cuts are at least 1 inch over and several times have been more.
    I have placed 5 orders recently with Connecting Threads. I have found their fabric to be of very high quality, not thin at all and surprisingly thicker than many of the big name fabrics. They have not shorted me either and, as a plus, they are very close to on grain or are on grain. With the Fabric.com fabric, that extra bit is often eaten up or nearly so by the fact that they're not always straight cuts. At Connecting Threads I have ordered fat quarters and very often get an extra piece with the fat quarters. I'm not sure why this is. I have measured to see if the fat quarter is short, but that has not been the case. I do like the selection at Fabric.com better in that they often have some of the latest lines but often not very much of it but with their coupons and free shipping over $35, usually I can get a very good deal. Sometimes I can get the same name fabric cheaper at other sites such as Old Country Stores or Fabric Depot.
    I can't imagine that you were given a hard time at Connecting Threads as they have been so very nice whenever I've called with a question. As I've had no problems with my orders I can't say how they have been when a problem has arisen, however. I would call them again and tell someone else what has happened as it is possible that you and the first person have somehow misunderstood each other. I think with all the positive experiences here with that company that you should try that approach. I know I would do so and state that you think that there must have been some misunderstanding. Good luck.

  18. #18
    Super Member cathylynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,113
    Blog Entries
    1
    hmmm. just received 16 yards of fabric from Connecting Threads and am quite happy with the quality. shipping was free and received the order promptly. will definitely order from them again.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Katia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    658
    I have had nothing but great service from both Connecting Threads and Fabric.com. No complaints here. I usually get over what I order from Connecting Threads and also agree that it is cut on grain more so then other places.I've ordered a lot of fabric from both places.

    I LOVE their thread too, great quality, no lint and excellent value. I learned a long time ago that thread quality is as important and fabric quality, maybe more. And CT thread lives up to that.

    But with all things the people on the phones are only human and could have been having a bad day, or something. I am sure a human had to have operated the machine that cut the fabric as well, so the mistake could have been an input error. Anyway, I hope they correct the mistake and make it right.

  20. #20
    Super Member sak658's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    down Houston way...
    Posts
    1,538
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have ordered lots of fabric from Connecting Threads, and I have loved every piece, excellent quality fabric. Sews up fantastic, lot thicker than mosts. And I've never had anything but excellent service from them..

  21. #21
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,821
    Blog Entries
    11
    That's exactly why I keep my little black notebook full of "goodies" & "never agains".

    I also shop a lot on line & keep a record of prices,shipping charges, taxes,quality of fabric & kind of place it is to deal with.There are great places listed, so don't deal with any other types.

    Very worth the few minutes of keeping records.

  22. #22
    Super Member chickadeee55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Waupaca Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,388
    Since CT told you the fabric is machine cut and no errors happen, they must be keeping track of their yardage (easily since it is done by machine). Why didn't they just check their invertory to see if they were over.
    I would say this is poor customer service, even if they paid for postage, it is a hassel for the customer. In todays market, they should want to make all customers happy and coming back. How much do you think that yard of fabric cost them, not much I imagine.
    I would write a letter, because that would make me feel better and maybe they would treat this situation differently next time.

  23. #23
    deema's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,317
    I have never had issues with Connecting Threads sending a short cut - in fact, I usually get more. And the one time there was an error in my order, they sent me the proper piece and had me keep the mistake. I have never heard of CT giving poor customer service.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    523
    I'm sorry the OP had a problem with Connecting Threads. I've always had wonderful experiences with them and will continue to do business with them. I think their fabric is wonderful and I really love their thread. Nice folks there!

    It may have bothered your sensabilites that they wanted you to send the yardage back to check the amount, but I have to say, they made it as painless as they could by paying postage going and coming. To you this is one incident, but to them, this may be an ongoing problem that they're doing their best to correct.

  25. #25
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    I love Connecting Threads and have no problems with them. I ordered fabric for my sister (we are talking 9 yards of fabric ) and they sent the wrong one. I called......they said I would have to return it but would send out the correct fabric that day. They were going to E mail a shipping label so I wouldn't have to pay shipping. About five minutes later I got an E mail from them. Thought it was my shipping label. Nope it was them saying go ahead and keep the fabric they had sent. I couldn't have been happier.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.