Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
contemplating an accuquilt go >

contemplating an accuquilt go

contemplating an accuquilt go

Old 06-23-2016, 08:59 AM

Since being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, I would be lost without my GO. Rotary cutting is a pain for me now.... literally... GO for it. (pun intended)
Old 06-23-2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
All of my sew group have one and we all use each other's dies. We will have a custom die made for a specific pattern we want to make if one is not available. I use the regular Go more then the Go Big or Go Baby. I like the Size of the Go. Easy to move and set up. I bought another Go at Hancocks going out of business sale dirt cheap. I doubt there are any left but wouldn't hurt to look.
Sharing dies would be a great way to go. Oh wait...to answer your question. yes, it is truly worth the money. Do you have any idea how much material I have ruined because of ruler slip when I was using my rotary cutter? I can't even begin to tell you how much. Ugh!

Yes, you can buy used dies, but the cost isn't all that much less than a new one, from what I have seen. I have been looking on Craigslist, Ebay, and on Facebook.

The one thing to keep in mind is, you can always sell a die if you decide it was a one-time use item, and most likely it will sell. A second thought is if you buy the dies from the Accuquilt site, you do earn points for every dollar to be used against future purchases. Yes, it may take a while to add up, but even $5 off is $5! Another to keep in mind is it is always easier to use a smaller die in the medium size (Go!) machine, while many dies will not fit into the Baby. Just my .02 which is really only worth about half of that

Good luck and let us know when you decided.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:23 PM

thank you for all of your insights! i think i will be thinking about this for a bit <g>
Old 06-23-2016, 01:38 PM

Dont buy the baby....its too small. Buy the electric one. My arm gets tired turning the crank. I never would have made my grandmothers flower garden with out it. (more than 1000 hexes). I use the 5" and plate of 2.5 squares to cut up leftover yardage for scrap quilts later (I have a ton of charm packs now), I next plan to use it on the winding ways quilt...that is a pain to cut out. I love my electric one. Go for it.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:33 PM

I have the go and cannot tell you how much time it has saved me in cutting strips and rectangles. Much more accurate than I am with a ruler and rotary cutter. Get it, you won't be sorry.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:44 PM

Another great use for the GO is for cutting scrapes into useable pieces for scrap quilts. That actually was the main reason I bought mine.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:45 PM

The only thing I didn't like about the Go was that you can only use Go dies in it. I sold mine and bought a big shot pro and can use almost every die on the market in it. But it's not electric.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:29 PM

twoxover: If you are a Facebook member, you can request to join Accuquilt and Beyond where you can ask this question or just follow along and look at pictures of quilts and read the comments posted by others.

Onebyone: The Hancock Fabrics by me had two Accuquilt Go boxes sitting on a shelf yesterday. I didn't even look at the price since I wasn't interested in another one. I have the regular Go! and the Go! Big. I should have checked the price and let volunteers know at an organization group in case anyone else wanted one. Oh, well! I did buy a 5" die when it was 40 % off.

Connie
Old 06-23-2016, 03:31 PM

I love my big shot pro. I use a wide variety of dies in it, including the go dies.

I especially love being able to make "precuts" with my scraps. It is a major time saver for me since I tend to generate a lot of scraps.

rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 06-23-2016, 03:54 PM

I love mine too - all it takes to fall in love after cutting out a quilt in record time. My friend wanted to make a DWR quilt for her DD that got married and while she ironed & starched the fabric, I cut. We were done in a bit over an hour for a king size quilt! And I like that all my strips are the same size - no error or accidental slips. I do use the June Tailor Shape cutter too, but when cutting the rest of the quilt with the GO, I use the die. When the dies go on sale that is when I buy more. And if you have other friends, that are interested in getting some, you can group an order and get free shipping.

I bought mine at the Road to California Quilt Show several years ago, they had a special going on. Keep your eyes open, Accuquilt has specials fairly often, and as others have said, check you local Hancock's (If you have one, they never made it to the San Diego area.), and Craig's list.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 06-23-2016 at 03:57 PM.