Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Continuing Quilting Board Quilt Contests

I have not seen very many of them. Do you think we might have an announcement in Main to let people know that it is taking place and the deadline. I am on the forum every day and apparently I have missed them. If I was aware of them, I would have surely entered a few of them, although I am not as qualified as many on the board.

Blog Entries

contests...

Rhonda, I would love to be in one of your contests, but my time is already filled. Don't know just what it is filled with, but I guess quilt guild and making a quilt for our daughter's wedding gift.
    I have seen several I would love to take part in, but it wouldn't be fair to you or me or anyone else to not get the project made.
    Good luck!
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue View Post
    I know for me, it has been a lack of time. The contests I remember looking at had a restriction about it being a quilt that hadn't been posted on here before. Since I post pictures of all of mine as soon as I make them, I didn't have any already made that could be entered, and no time to make a new one just for the contests.
    same here -soon as it is quilted I post on here
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

How about something for handquilters?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue View Post
    I know for me, it has been a lack of time. The contests I remember looking at had a restriction about it being a quilt that hadn't been posted on here before. Since I post pictures of all of mine as soon as I make them, I didn't have any already made that could be entered, and no time to make a new one just for the contests.
    This is my issue also - I post pictures to my blog as I'm working on a project, so I get disqualified from entering here pretty quickly.

Cheers, K

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
    Thanks for all of your comments. I hope to hear a few more.

I will always include the restriction of the item not having been shown before. something that has been oohed and aahed over would have too big of an advantage over someone who is showing theirs for the first time. We don't want anyone to vote because of favoritism. we want votes based only on the merit of the quilt or entry.

So no size requirements but we WILL continue to have the Not Shown Before rule. It makes everything fair for everyone.

I understand your reasoning behind the "not shown before" and making it fair for everyone, but that also means that I'm not likely to ever be eligible as I use my blog as to document my progress. I could totally get behind a "not shown before on the QB" rule.

Cheers, K

I would love to - but my TO DO pile is growing by leaps and bounds. I'm afraid to commit to anything because every time I think I'm caught up someone decides to give us another grandchild, or one of our 2 military children's families is deploying (again and again) and we have custody of the GD when that happens.

I love to live vicariously! And NEXT YEAR maybe I can get ahead of myself and join in the fun.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
    I understand your reasoning behind the "not shown before" and making it fair for everyone, but that also means that I'm not likely to ever be eligible as I use my blog as to document my progress. I could totally get behind a "not shown before on the QB" rule.

Cheers, K
    Well now, that's a really good point. I DO post my progress on work on my personal facebook page and sometimes on my personal web site.

Does the "not shown before" rule only apply to QB, or does it apply to other places I post for my non-quilty friends as well?
    Wendy

After seeing all the beautiful quilt photos, I know that I have a long way to go before I could make anything worthy of entering a contest. Having said that, I love seeing all the beautiful quilts that others are entering in the contests. I hope you continue the contests.

I agree with simple, I work full time and I don't like to do these for fear of not finishing but if it were something simple or do one for beginner and one for more advanced then I would love to join in. I'm trying to participate and be more involved so I would be open to smaller simpler projects.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Blog Entries
    All the ideas and comments posted for the contest are realistic but I think that it's losing the popular votes or entries due to the restrictions on voting and the time frame allowed for contending.

For the voting that is an issue there too because the voting process is not understood by most members....if it was then you'd have more voters. The voting process needs improvement in my opinion, something to the matter that it can be done efficiently without going through multiple steps just to cast a simple vote. Something simpler, ...voting is important that's how we get the winner/winners.

The contest does need a little more time for projecting the entry and finishing.

What about that being the size. Is a doll quilt not the same size as wallhangings? Also what about taking the next upcoming holiday as the theme and the time limit being two weeks before the actual holiday. That would give a frequency of contests in just this area and more timeliness as well.
    Life is Good!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
    After seeing all the beautiful quilt photos, I know that I have a long way to go before I could make anything worthy of entering a contest. Having said that, I love seeing all the beautiful quilts that others are entering in the contests. I hope you continue the contests.
    More food for thought:

I'd sure like to figure out a way to address Carrie's statement here. How can we have contests to fit more people's skill levels and encourage more people to enter? Would a self-classified "novice" category help? I'm not a "professional" but I think I'm more than "novice" and certainly don't want to discourage other folks from entering just because I've been practicing more... (Random thoughts...I know...)

And the voting problem is another issue. I'm VERY comfortable with computers, and have to follow the directions quite carefully in order to ensure that I vote correctly each time. The number of PM's on this site are pretty limited, so I don't think voting by PM is an option.

What about a "mailto" link for each entry that automatically put the correct info in the subject line for voting on that entry, and only having to actually add your board name in the body of the message? I realize this would still be problematic for those who don't have an email program set up on their computer though, so there would still need to be an alternate method of emailing a vote similar to what we have now.
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    I would love to see another contest with purses and tote bags. I didn't know about the last one until it was over.

For me, I also post photos of all my quilts as soon as they are finished, so I rarely or never have one that hasn't already been posted here on the board. Also, having only been a quilter for 2 years, I don't really consider myself qualified as a contest entrant.
    All of the quilts I have finished have gone off to new homes so I can't measure them and I haven't kept records of their exact sizes. I know if they were throw, twin or full, etc. but that's about it.
    I do enjoy seeing the quilts entered tho, and if I happen to see the contest info, I like to cast a vote.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I've never seen the contests until they are over. I would like to be added to a list if you make one.
    A quilt is a hug for future generations.

Quilting Board Quilt Contests

Rhonda:

I stumbled upon the contests information simply by chance about a week ago. I don't feel that I have enough experience or understanding of what I am doing to join in a contest. I do my quilting for relaxation and for fun. I have not created any quilt by a pattern or kit.

I will be honest to admit that I am scared to death that if I join one of the contests and I am not able to complete the task in time. I don't understand the RR either. I do not want to commit to something and not be able to live up to that comitment.

Plus with times as they are financially I cannot afford to create a huge quilt. I can do a small scrappy table runner or some other small thing out of my scrap pile. I'm currently a full-time student striving for my Associates Degree. I have two semesters (I'm keeping my fingers crossed) before I complete my degree plan. That is my priority right now.

I love looking at the wonderful creations and thoroughly enjoy the Quilting Board. I'm not making excuses; excuses are for losers. I am merely stating the facts.

I always see the contest at the end of the run. I'd be more than happy to join in. So there has to be a better way of announcing the contest early enough for folks like me to participate. I generally check in at least once a day. Just not the right section - I guess.

Blog Entries
    the problem I have with saying the not shown before rule only applies to the QB is that alot of QB members follow other members' blogs. So we still have the problem of favoritism. If someone knows which one is yours they will vote for you and not so much for a quilt they liked the best. Not fair at all. So sorry but the not shown rule will have to stay. It is the only fair way to do it.

I will look at the voting rules and see if there is an easier way. but she will need your board name and a title that will stand out from other emails. I don't remember the rules Patrice set for that right off hand. I thought at the time it sounded pretty reasonable.

As for skill level I will think about how to deal with that. I do want to encourage more beginners to enter.

Blog Entries
    It isn't hard to find the Contest section. Go to Home and click on it. The contest section is the second one listed. You will always be able to find the info there.

Here is the link
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...-contests-f21/

When I post threads pertaining to the contests the more people post on the threads the more it shows up in the recent topics. But because this is a good size forum the threads will get buried pretty quickly. The only place you can be sure of finding any new info is in the Contest section.

Also once I post a thread on a contest you can subscribe to that thread. If you need help to figure out how to do that just let me know. Once you subscribe you will get an email every time it is posted on if you are signed up to get email notifications. You can also check your subscriptions in your quick links. If you need help to figure how to check there just let me know. I use the quick links all the time.

I will make more of an effort to post more on the contests once we have started them again. Thanks for all of your input. I will reread and hopefully cover all the points raised here.

I really appreciate all the comments and that you took the time to share your thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Okay here is what I am thinking.

One Quilt Block Contest
    Entry June 1st to June 10th
    Patrice time to process pics - June 11th to 13th
    Voting - June 14th to June 28th
    Winner announced - June 31st.

This is of course conditional on Patrice's approval

It will be any quilt block and any size.

Next

Beginners - style not sure yet
    Enter August 1st to Aug 10th
    Patrice time Aug 11th to 13th
    Vote from Aug 14th to Aug 28th
    Winner announced Aug 31st

I've read through the thread and noted all the ideas and issues Rhonda is so thoughtfully addressing. I've been trying to think as I read what I might enter if I could and a couple of ideas came to mind.

1- a contest where everyone makes the same pattern, such as Carpenters Star. Or a quilt made from the same square pattern. Size wouldn't matter if you used four Ohio Stars or forty, it's still Ohio Star and we'd see color and placement ideas.

2- (sort of like 1) I've been following a mystery quilt and we've all been posting our work as each clue is given. But how about a mystery where we don't post progress just the end product. I think that would be fun to vote on. Everyone's mystery quilt is turning out so uniquely wonderful!

3- My final idea has been suggested. To make themed contests such as 4th of July, Christmas, Princess, ... anything really. That way we can use stash if we have it or not.

Just my own ideas here. Thanks Rhonda for trying so hard to pull everyone in.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

I tried to join the queen/king applique contest but something went wrong and PatriceJ apparently didn't get my photos (I had arranged with her that I could send them in early since we were leaving for an extended trip in Africa). I had a friend inquire for me about the contest and was told that NO ONE had entered! I might have used PatriceJ's "other" address.
    Also, our computer service was really bad at that time, although my photos seem to go OK. Who knows?!

Even if we have the same contest again I won't enter because I love sharing my quilts with friends and family over the internet and I finished that quilt just before Christmas and wouldn't let anyone take a picture so there would be no chance it would be displayed on the internet. Now, if my service allows, I intend to share it with friends and family. It is an awesome, done with draped fabric with appliques that are individually quilted, dabs of paint, flying butterflys.... all sorts of fun stuff. Four people who saw it, at different times, gasped and said "AWESOME".. that's why I can say it is!

But without the contest I might have diddled over details for the next year, so I'm not sorry I tried to enter it. But I also stumbled on the contest by accident, couldn't find it later when I tried, and was upset by the strict size rule (PatriceJ said I was close enough.... but maybe a helper found me a few inches short (it was 7'x 8').

Maybe there should be a section label that says "Contests". Anyway, it's good to be back home (after 4 months!). Now I've got to get back to my first "African" quilt. Bought fabric in Ghana. Beautiful stuff!!

Sierra

Rhonda, I think the one year lead-time is a good idea, but it can't be just once! How about a "contest" page, updated monthly with all the upcoming contests included? That way, those of us with duller brains would be reminded. Of course, we have to be able to figure out how to get on to that page. I've only hit it by accident, although I do use the search bits I figure out how to use. I may be a quilter but I'm not a computer nerd! Darn. Sierrra

Blog Entries
    I don't know if I will do the larger quilt contests as it is hard for people to enter. We shall see.

There is a contest section on the home page. CLick on Home and you will find the contests are the second section listed. All threads pertaining to the contests are there.

I am also trying to post to keep these two contests in the Recent Topics lists but it isn't easy to do.

I have asked about getting a dedicated spot in the Daily Digest for the contests but haven't received an answer. Patrice is following up on that for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3