Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Continuing Quilting Board Quilt Contests

Blog Entries
    Scissor Queen - When the site was changed it disrupted the contests. Patrice was too busy for about a month and couldn't deal with it. So the last two didn't happen when they were supposed to. I changed the enter date for the Applique to accomadate the site changes. We didn't have anyone enter so it never happened.

then I set up the last one Kaleidoscopes for March. Since we didn't have any entries for the Applique contest I was reluctant to set up any more contests til I had time to think this through. So this is why I am asking for your opinions now. So I can make some decisions for continuing the contests.

We did have some beautiful entries in all of the contests except the Applique one of course. I would like to continue.

Blog Entries
    Can a broad PM ( like can be done with email) be sent out to all board members by either you or Patrice as to when each of these are starting, or is the system too restrictive?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
    Can a broad PM ( like can be done with email) be sent out to all board members by either you or Patrice as to when each of these are starting, or is the system too restrictive?
    to my knowledge that isn't a possiblity. On the old site I had the activity pages to use but this site doesn't have that. I can check into it again and see if there is something. But I doubt it. If there was I would use it for my Quilt Block Swap. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Blog Entries
    In what section of this board are the contest posted. I usually only read "What's New" area.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

How about Paper Piecing
    FancyFoot

I generally only read the Main board and the Vintage Sewing Machine board. I occasionally go to the others. I just joined in January and nothing that went on this year appealed to me. If I had already been a member and seen the list when it was formed I might have done one or two of the first ones.

Like everyone else, it is timing. I couldn't do one right now because of the graduation gifts I am making and all the dresses I am altering for prom and graduation. I wouldn't give but I think we have to accept there will be highs and lows in participation. JMHO

Mary

Blog Entries
    I don't always see the contests but have begun looking more carefully now. I would certainly consider entering if it is something I think I could do well enough. I love the '30's look and/or scrappy and would jump on those for sure! I do intend to watch more closely.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I've held back posting my last couple of projects in hopes i'd be able to do a contest. It seems like i always miss out on the ones i'd enter because i don't realize one is going on. Now my son is born i'm afraid i won't be able to enter and i should just post my old projects from the last year; once i get the adaptor for my camerato mac upload. I appreciate your efforts rhonda. I've had trouble figuring out the new look of the site too. I'm still used to the old look i guess

I'm a newbie to not only quilting but to TQB. I found the panel contest entry via a QB e-mail, but find that many of the contests seem to have "disjointed" links, meaning that they are found by accident.

I see the post on the main board page for contests and challenges, but I don't see the panel contest entered on that page. Maybe I'm missing it?

If i'm reading correctly - it sounds like between the Board changes and life, that many people don't know about the quilting contests. If that's the case, then the question that needs to be answered is How does the message get out?

And yes, the current board w/ the contests only has 11 threads on it and there just didn't appear to be enough time to complete an entry.

Anyone else see it differently?
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    Okay here are my thoughts on this so far

Size restrictions will be understood by what kind of contest it is. As in a doll quilt will be small not a queen size quilt etc. I won't put any numbers to the size.

As for timing I am thinking of setting up a list that would be for 12 months. Possibly with 2 months between contests instead of a monthly thing.
    Info for each contest could be posted again right before that contest is to start. That posting would be a reminder that it is coming up soon.

I will discuss with Patrice some ways of getting this more noticed.

Now here is what I have for ideas. I would love to get more suggetions to add to the lists.
    Do you want to see contests that are technique in nature or are type in nature? or maybe alternate between the two.

Type of Project

Doll Quilts
    Table Runners
    Hot pads
    Miniatures
    Accessories
    Kid Quilts
    Mug Rugs
    Wall Hangings/Tabletoppers etc

Techniques

scrappy
    10 min block
    applique
    handquilted square
    FMQ square
    Traditional Pieced
    Paper Pieced
    Bargello
    Kaleidoscope
    Half Square Triangles
    Rhonda's Cut Down Method
    Design a Quilt Block
    Strip Quilts
    Quilt Block
    One Patch Block Quilts

Blog Entries
    Rhonda~It looks like you've got a good list of contest possibilities going there! I like the idea of having them posted out for 12 months as it gives us more time to get things ready. I also would like to see contests alternate between types and techniques because I think it might encourage more people to enter.

It is so nice of you to go to all this work on our contests; thank you!
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    I sooo appreciate all your comments and suggestions. I need them to help me improve. I really want to try this again for another year and see how it goes.

As for getting the contests more noticed -

To keep it in the recent topics the threads need to be posted on. So if you are interested in helping then watch for the threads and post if you would. This way it will stay active and be seen better.
    I will try to post more often about the contests to get some threads into the recent posts.
    I am going to ask Patrice if we can get something about the contests in the newsletter that goes out every week.

Once you know about the contest threads then you can click on subscribe and you will get notices when something new is posted on that thread.

Any other ideas?

Blog Entries
    I would love to join some of the contests but every time I've looked they were past ones or it was the kaleidoscope and I was no way ready to tackle that. If there was a better way of getting it noticed would be great, many times I forget to look and I miss out.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

How do I get on the email list for the contests? TIA

Power Poster
    I,too, have occasionally looked at the contests - and then at the requirements. Actually, for me, getting the final item photographed and the image on to the QB has been one of my big stumbling blocks.

How about a few themes being color based?

Such as green dominant or purple dominant?

Are "holiday-themes" discouraged? (Such as Christmas, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, etc?)

How about quilts made from old jeans/denim? I've seen some great ones on the QB - that were NOT rag quilts.

Or innovative rag quilts?

The size restriction - seems reasonable to me - somehow putting a potholder in competition with a bed-spread king-sized creation/quilt seems unreasonable to me.

As to the skill level issue- I consider myself an accurate advanced beginner - I look at some of the projects and totally ooh and ahh over them.

Maybe contests with limits as to the total number of pieces in the finished item (excluding backing and binding)?

I forgot to add that i too only handquilt so it takes me longer to finish a project.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I have never seen the posts, I might have joined in if I had....

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I have never seen the posts, I might have joined in if I had....

Blog Entries
    I would also like to join, I've only been quilting for a 14 months now and still learning the ropes, the reason I didn't join in the contest were, I don't want to compete against another quilter who's been doing it for years, I don't think thats fair.
    Maybe you could post Beginners 1-2 years quilting experience
    Intermediate 3 to 5 years experience
    Advance Quilters 6 to ? years experience
    Maybe something like that I really wouldn’t know how you would break it up to be fair…
    Love what I see so far as contest sounds great...
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ Donna♥¨¯`•.¸¸.♥

Happy Quilting!

Power Poster
    I don't know if "years of experience" is a very accurate way of determining "skill level"

Some "first quilts" are truly awesome - and some quilts made by people with "years of experience" still look like they have "room for improvement"

Some of us are very unadventurous in what we do - some of us have physical limitations that impair what we do with what we want to do - some of us are limited to what we have available to work with

I think the guidelines should be: type, style, size

I've seen "simple" quilts that I loved - I've seen quilts that I know were very complicated to put together - and while I respected the work that went into making them - I did not particularly like them very much.

Blog Entries
    You've given me a lot to think about. Thank you all for your input.

Blog Entries
    I would love to join in, but I never see the announcements until they are over! And I've been looking, too. Where are they listed?
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Where do I find the contests?
    Thank you!

I would like to see something for FMQ on a domestic machine but maybe divided into catagories for newbies to FMQ and others that are more advanced. I think the main reason there has been little participation is most of us haven't seen the contests posted.

Maybe having the link posted in the daily newsletter would get more particiation. I don't know about others but I rarely go to the Main page. I click on the items of interest in the newsletter.
    Last edited by MaggieLou; 04-16-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: additional comments
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast