Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Continuous Curve >

Continuous Curve

Continuous Curve

Old 04-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Question Continuous Curve

I have tried to do some continuous curve quilting in the past but the results were disappointing. I did FMQ but I think maybe I tried with walking foot as well. I went on line to find a you tube and all of them were done with a template. Does anyone on this board do freestyle continuous curves. If so, how do you keep the line of quilting equal in distance from the seam? Is it just eyeballing? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

mark registration marks along the lines -top & bottom of the curves to use as a reference- place to go up to-down to-
be sure and test what marking tool you use to be sure it will come out- i use either a pencil or chalk most of the time but there are many options.
even when doing free motion quilting often registration marks will be added to give you a guide to fill a certain space- or make curves the size you want.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

even with fmq I would use a stecil to mark. Free Motion doesn't mean you never use a stencil or other design for the quilting. Why make it hard for yourself. Get the stencil.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:26 PM

I chalk a point at the apex of the curve for guidance. I don't care to work with stencils.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:30 PM

free motion really refers to how you set up the machine, and how you are able to move the fabric. Definitely use a stencil to follow at least until you figure out what you want to do freehand. Free motion involves a darning or other special foot and dropping the feed dogs to allow the fabric more freedom and ease of movement.

another thing is to practice first using your finger instead of a needle, tracing and retracing the design until it becomes muscle memory. that way, you are in automaton mode as you move the fabric. This then means you can focus on machine speed, and consistency of your movement without thinking 'where do I go next?'
Old 04-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

I have to use a template. I've heard of people doing them free hand, but I'm sure it's after lots and lots of practice.