Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Control freak vs. FMQ

This may sound crazy, but I found some examples of stippling that I liked that looked like water rippling, printed them out, and tried to duplicate them on squares of fabric. It was sitting down and not knowing where to go that was driving me crazy.

Also, even tho' I have the Bernina with the BSR, my machine also has an On/Off button and a speed control. So, I unplug the foot control, use my needle up/needle down button to bring the bobbin thread up, then hit the On button. Then I move the fabric around. When I'm finished, I hit the off button and I'm done.

If you do your practice squares using the Insulbrite or using the teflon fabric as your backing, you can put a narrow binding on them and you have handmade potholders.

I agree with the practice, practice, I do a practice piece every time just before I work on my project, to try to get in the rythym for that day! I'm still not very good at all and am taking a class next week so hopefully that will improve it. And Yes to the wine! One glass relaxes me a bit (or like my first time, 1 glass relaxed me a bit, 2 glasses relaxed me more & the 3rd glass made it so I didn't much care what it looked like! Oops)

Quote Originally Posted by sewsewquilter
    I'm not a control freak (I don't think). :lol: But I did find it hard to let go. I took a class from a school teacher who has won awards with her art quilts. I did a lot of practice squares in class. She was a GREAT help. I am still not good but I'm having fun FM now. :D One she she had me do over and over was writing my name. After a few trys you could reading what I was writing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Yep, that's one thing about us teachers -- we have them do it over and over until it's right. :lol:

Blog Entries
    You hit the nail on the head. I haven't made a fm quilt yet but I have been practicing and I do not breath. I have to stop to get air. How funny is that! I'm glad I'm not the only one that did that. Will I at some time start breathing? Someone told me to practice doodling it on paper and that gives you a feel for where to go next. And I've been doodling away.

Quote Originally Posted by JCL in FL
    You hit the nail on the head. I haven't made a fm quilt yet but I have been practicing and I do not breath. I have to stop to get air. How funny is that! I'm glad I'm not the only one that did that. Will I at some time start breathing? Someone told me to practice doodling it on paper and that gives you a feel for where to go next. And I've been doodling away.
    I think one of the people suggested working at it for a few minutes every day.
    I am highly analytical, and I don't remember all the reasons I was afraid of making mistakes when I first started quilting.
    Forget the free motion aspect, for awhile. Just practice free wheeling straight lines, although, believe it or not, moving it from side to side actually is a better use of the machine, I think.
    Just take comfort in the fact that others have done it before you, so you know it can be done ... the only thing to decide is how you are going to do it, but do it, you must ...
    The breathing thing will come. Take a few deep breaths before you start and you will have enough oxygen to sustain you for quite awhile ...
    You all will do just fine.
    I am not a big one to say, "I did it, anyone can do it" ... but, I will say ... others have done it, you know it can be done, all you have to decide is when you are going to try.
    And, don't be so hard on yourselves ... we are our own worst critics! Maybe someday I will do a job that I absolutely know is perfect, but I am never sure that it is really good ... but, I am better today than I was last week, and most certainly a lot better than I was five years ago when I tried it for the first time.
    Trust yourself to be able to learn, and be excited because you are about to start accomplishing something that will make your quilt more useful and maybe even prettier!
    You will do a good job. And, you will keep breathing

I too had trouble learning how to better control FMQ my break through was to wear gloves. It helps move the fabric easier. I bought a pair of gardening gloves that have rough finger tips and they work like a charm. I understand fons and porter have gloves to sell but the everyday gardening gloves works fine for me.

You can FMQ with the feed dogs up and the stitch length set at zero. I find I actually stipple better this way than with the feed dogs down.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita
    I too had trouble learning how to better control FMQ my break through was to wear gloves. It helps move the fabric easier. I bought a pair of gardening gloves that have rough finger tips and they work like a charm. I understand fons and porter have gloves to sell but the everyday gardening gloves works fine for me.
    Yes, I find the gloves essential for control. I have the cotton ones with the little pimples on the finger tips.

A pitcher of margarita's helps wonderfully with the practicing :)

but seriously I am a doctor diagnosed perfectionist and I have just started FMQing and I freaked when the 1st,2nd and even the 3rd tries looked horrid. The instructor at the Quilt shop where I took the FMQing class said, "honey, you need a stiff drink, a margarita or wine cooler or something to relax you."

So hey I may turn out the be the best FMQing lush ever now...lol

I guess the real answer is _ we all didn't learn to walk in one day so why do we expect to be a expert at FMQ the first or second time. The old saying "practice make perfect" applies.
    And do I need a lot of practice. :oops: :oops:
    I have a bernina 200 and was able to get the BSR fitted to it. It really helps but I still need to practice. Am pretty good at the borders - still have a fair bit of trouble in the center areas with all the bulk.

How about a glass of wine if you don't like whiskey?

Blog Entries
    Lots of people FMQ with the feed dogs up. Try it and see if it helps.

I can FMQ much better standing up. Have a cutting table the right height, so I put my sewing machine on that.

Having the right surface helps enormously. Try making the inexpensive quilting table in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM

It has helped a lot of quilters. This is what I'm going to make for myself before my next FMQ session (standing up, of course!).

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99

I can FMQ much better standing up. Have a cutting table the right height, so I put my sewing machine on that.

Having the right surface helps enormously. Try making the inexpensive quilting table in this video:

It has helped a lot of quilters. This is what I'm going to make for myself before my next FMQ session (standing up, of course!).
    Thank you. Very informative video. That is something I could do myself.

I did this by mistake the other day.... and found my stitches came out a LOT better than normally. But everyone is so rabid about putting the feed dogs down... is it bad for the machine to leave them up?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    I did this by mistake the other day.... and found my stitches came out a LOT better than normally. But everyone is so rabid about putting the feed dogs down... is it bad for the machine to leave them up?
    It doesn't hurt the machine at all.

RELAX...and breathe... Lots of practice makes a big difference (darn, I hate that learning curve-I want to do it great right now!) :lol:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2