Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Convicted by Lurker Alert  :) >

Convicted by Lurker Alert :)

Convicted by Lurker Alert :)

Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 PM

Now that I feel bad about lurking and not posting.....I have a question for you. I have some absolutely beautiful fabric just begging to be used. My problem is that I agonize over what to make of it so it shows off the fabric at it's best. I know it sounds dumb, but I want to do it justice. Does anyone else have this problem. I study patterns but it becomes a huge decision and I'm paralyzed!! Someone please help me over this hump. Do you have this problem, and if so, what motivates you to actually start cutting on it??
Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM

Welcome to the board from Minnesota!! You are not the only one that agonizes over cutting into your fabric! There are some good patterns out there that do a good job of showing it off. The first one that comes to mind is "Just Can't Cut It" just do a google search, and you'll find it!
Glad you came out of hiding! :D
Old 06-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

Don't over think it. I pick a pattern I like and know it will be something I can finish. Remember there will be scraps left of favorite fabric to play with again.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 PM

Here's what I do. I cut some openings in paper at different shapes and sizes. Then I lay them on the fabric. The fabric usually will "speak" to me in a certain shape/size. Then I look for a pattern that highlights that shape.

If that doesnt happen I use it for sashing or borders where you see more of it.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 PM

You are not alone. I do the same thing with some pieces of fabric. I just enjoy looking at it and petting it and then put it away for later........ A pattern or idea will show up sometime......later, too.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:48 PM

I used to be like that. I collected 30's reproduction prints for years. This past winter, I dug them out and was petting them and oohing and awing over them. That night I was having trouble sleeping and I had the the thought.."how much longer are you going to let those gorgeous fabrics sit in a box? They deserve to be show cased."

I'm not getting any younger and I decided that I want to see them everyday so I searched till I found the pattern I wanted and now they are getting used. I am making a bed spread with them, hand appliqueing so when I am done, they will be on display instead of sitting in a box.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 PM

I understand totally. I have floral fabric that I just love and I bought it a few years ago.

One quilt that sticks out is like a snowball quilt. You use large pieces of favorite fabrics and corner them with basic fabrics.

Now that would mean you'd have to collect other fabrics that you just love in order to make the quilt! LOL
Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 PM

No ideas...it will come to you. just had to let you know that I LOVE your avitar! Sew cute!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Carol in Colorado
Now that I feel bad about lurking and not posting.....I have a question for you. I have some absolutely beautiful fabric just begging to be used. My problem is that I agonize over what to make of it so it shows off the fabric at it's best. I know it sounds dumb, but I want to do it justice. Does anyone else have this problem. I study patterns but it becomes a huge decision and I'm paralyzed!! Someone please help me over this hump. Do you have this problem, and if so, what motivates you to actually start cutting on it??
First off, welcome!! And no, you don't sound dumb at all! I have several fabrics that I bought simply because I adore them. I have no clue what to do with them and someday, when I come across just the right pattern, I'll know. Until then I simply enjoy them, taking them out frequently to pet and fondle them before lovingly putting them back away. It may be that you simply haven't found the right pattern for your fabric yet. ;)
Old 06-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Welcome! You are not alone! I think we all face that at one time or another. I've got one I just had to have a few months ago, but it's still sitting there staring me in the face. Each time I thought I picked a pattern I change my mind...so there it sits until the right one comes along.

Why not post a picture and see what others are inspired to do with it?