Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cop Quilt 3 >

Cop Quilt 3

Cop Quilt 3

Old 12-11-2022, 04:01 PM

Default Cop Quilt 3

Ok everyone. I need some info on panels. I went to the Hobby Lobby yesterday (12-9-2022) and I found what else but fabric. There was a lady following me and I HATE anyone following me that close. But I digress. I found it. It was/is perfect for Matthew’s Cop Quilt. The backing. But it is 45 x 2-3/4 yards. It is also a one-way design of various seashells.

Now my twin bed mattress is 39 x 75 inches, but I want Matthew’s quilt to be 45 x 90. Using the 45” size, the backing will fit the bed almost exactly. BUT I would like the standard twin quilt size of 70 X 90. Has anyone here ever made their own panel type backing. I cannot use this fabric due to it is a one-way design and I really don’t want side stipes of multiple pieces as that would take an enormous amount of time to get them cut and sewed perfectly in line with the pattern of the fabric.

ALL suggestions greatly appreciated. Pop is now changed to being called Matthew as his father passed Thanksgiving Saturday very unexpectedly. So, Chad is now Matthew 1 and Matthew is now Matthew 2. They are coming here for Christmas week. 1 has to be back on patrol the 8th of January. It will be fun to have 2 open one gift every day for the week of Christmas. It is a tradition of their family so the holiday spreads over the entire week. I like it as I will be able to see the excitement in his eyes every day for those seven days rather than being just one day.
Attached Thumbnails cop-quilt-back-2.jpg  

Last edited by MaryKa; 12-11-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKa View Post
I want Matthew’s quilt to be 45 x 90. Using the 45” size, the backing will fit the bed almost exactly. BUT I would like the standard twin quilt size of 70 X 90.I really don’t want side stipes of multiple pieces.
Okay hang on. You want the quilt to be bigger but you don't want to add borders. Other than adding blocks instead of borders to make it bigger, I really don't know what to tell you.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:07 AM

No No. I don't want each border to be nultiple pieces. Someone said I don't want to do a piano boarder--if that makes sense.

Last edited by MaryKa; 12-12-2022 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

You could get a solid that goes with the sea shells and add it to each side.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:17 AM

I want to thank everyone who has commented on Matthew 2's Cop Quilt. It will never be assembled as I received a horrible phone call @ 2:49 this morning from Matthew 1. My baby is gone. He passed sometime during the night. He was never sick. No know medical problems. He called me yesterday and when we were getting ready to end the call he asked me to make certain his baby sister had a beautiful quilt by the end of the month as he thought she was cold. I made him that promise. I will make the quilt that he picked out for her but that will be signed With Love, Your Big Brother in Heaven. Some day I hope to be able to tell her about how much he loved her and how he planned the quilt she has. I am changing one thing about her quilt. It will also become a twin bed quilt as I will add some of the cut-outs that I have done for his quilt.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:32 PM

Oh my Dear, I'm so sorry to hear this. I am sending hugs and prayers to you and your family. This quilt will be loved, so stitch many, many hugs into it plus tears. (())
Old 01-02-2023, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

So sorry to hear of your loss-----hugs and prayers for all of you
Old 01-02-2023, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

Oh no! I'm shocked to hear this and so very sorry for your loss! Words fail me....