Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Puff/Biscuit Quilts question >

Puff/Biscuit Quilts question

Puff/Biscuit Quilts question

Old 01-01-2023, 03:36 AM

Default Puff/Biscuit Quilts question

I have a "lot" of flannel....I want to make a puff/biscuit quilt......Can I use flannel for the back piece of the puff and cotton for the top piece of the puff? I understand the flannel will have to be pre-washed and shrunk but wonder if there any issue in combining the two and stuffing with fiber fil? I plan to back the entire quilt with flannel. I did a search of the forum and never saw where cotton and flannel was combined in a puff/biscuit quilt.
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
Murphy
Old 01-01-2023, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Why not? If it is good quality pre washed flannel, it should wear at the same rate as the cotton top.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:22 PM

I made a sort of puff quilt thirty years ago. think they were all cottons though. looks like 4 patches but i do remember doing them individually into blocks. then sewing together after stuffing with poly. reversible too. dark buttons on one side and light on the other. for my hubby's grandson at that time.
Attached Thumbnails p1020217.jpg  
Old 01-02-2023, 03:41 PM

Just be aware that a "puff" quilt is VERY heavy and don't over stuff. I made one from all cotton and cannot use it on the bed. Only time I use it is when it's very, very cold and the electricity is off, & I use it as a lap robe while sitting in my recliner.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:18 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Have to share a funny story:
A long time ago I was visiting a rather elderly retired nurse and noticed a lovely quilt on the back of her couch. It was made from individual little puff pockets. I asked her about it and she told me when she was working at the hospital they would have to take the sanitary napkins used For the new mothers and put them in the auto clave to sterilize them before using them. Of course there were always a few napkins which were scorched because the auto claves in those days were less than accurate in their temperature settings. She hated to have to throw them out so she took them home and covered each one with fabric When she had enough to make a row she sewed them together and then eventually into a full lovely scrappy quilt. Of course she said she could never wash it as it would fall apart so she would just throw that one out and start another!
I smile every time I am reminded of that quilt . Thanks for todays smile!