Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Copy right...what's the bottom line? >

Copy right...what's the bottom line?

Copy right...what's the bottom line?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 AM

I am not a pattern designer, but I am a quilt maker. I don't think a pattern designer should have any say on what you do with a product made from their pattern - you did buy it afterall. They have made their money on the sale of the pattern, if they want to make money on the sale of the product, they should produce it and sell it themselves.

That being said, I don't sell my quilts or handbags that I make, I give them away. I think the only time I ever got money for a quilt was when a friend wanted a quilt I had made and I let her pay for the longarm quilting.

We could all use a little extra money (or a lot - lol) and I think as long as you don't sell a pattern that you purchased, then you should be able to do whatever you want with it.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
you can sell trademarked fabric...you can NOT sell items made from that fabric! Especially Collegiate fabrics..OY do they love to take your stuff if you don't pay them $150 a year per school to sell your UNIQUE handcrafted items using their licensed fabric!
She is completely off the mark when she says you can't sell items made from licensed fabric. Yes, you CAN sell items made with licensed fabrics. What you can't do is weave new fabric and add identical copies of the team logo. In other words, you can't copy their fabric, and then use your fabric copy it to sell items you've made.

I think she's confused about "copying"... it is illegal to make identical collegiate logos and sell the identical collegiate logos. For example, you can't embroider an identical copy of the teams logo onto a sweatshirt and then sell the sweatshirt. If you do, yes, they will "take your stuff" you are selling and take you to court.

All this fighting will die down as soon as more and more quilters realize what their rights are. On this thread alone, it shows the word about harassment is getting out and ladies are becoming informed. Keep on keeping on... the harassment by a few will stop ruining it for the rest of us eventually!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
bottom line is---if you are using a commercial pattern---check the pattern for the permissions given-often the designer will include permission to sell, display, personal use only ect-
if there is no such permission anywhere to be found- send an email & ask- it doesn't cost anything to ask permission to use someone's design- and always give credit where credit is due- include the name of the pattern or designer on your label- don't try to claim it as your own.
This is incorrect advice... well meaning, yes, but you're wrong. "Permission" printed on a designer's pattern is harassment of the consumer if the designer is trying to imply that their copyright controls what can the buyer can/can not do with a product made from the pattern. Implying that the buyer needs to "ask permission" is a scare tactic and harassment.

Your comment "it doesn't cost anything to ask permission" can be explained this way....
Let's say a pattern designer puts permission on her pattern that says "you may jump in a lake no more than 3 times when using my pattern." And when someone asks a question about the restriction allowing only 3 jumps into the lake, you pop up and say "you should ask for permission before jumping in the lake, it's the polite thing to do."

As soon as well-meaning folks learn the truth about copyright issues, all this fighting will die down. I, for one, am more than weary of explaining the truth to people, but it's worth it to trudge forward because quilting is so much fun!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 AM

Red face

I am so grateful for all the discussion on copyrights. I can now feel confident I am doing the "right" and "legal" thing when I get to the point of making things for sale. I think the thread contributors did a pretty good job of correcting erroneous information without offending. We have a great forum.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 AM

Question: For those of families that know nothing about fabric , patterns or quilting-----their quilting member dies--so they sell all there quilting items incl. those copyrighted --what then---No, if you buy with money an item it is yours incl. the patterns. If you don't want to brag and publish your patterns for others to use--keep it secret and don't publish it. How real unfriendly. A method can be copyrighted and licensed. Too many people out in the world sewing and quilting.. Where does the arguing and bickering stop! This is also killing Guilds. Some people are so afraid they are loosing money when they are loosing their friendly personality and good works rewards. You people can sue if you want but you can not get blood from a turnip.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:21 AM

Copyright laws can be vary confusing. There has been so much written and none seem to be clear cut.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:21 AM

If you cannot make and sell items with trademarked or lic. fabric---Why bother to buy it???????? thats rediculous you can make and sell what you want other wise why print and market the fabric for sewers and quilters?????????? Doesn't Wash----------
Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 AM

Christine- BRAVO!!!!!! Around of APPLAUSE!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM

I'm learning a lot but at this moment, I think I'm more confused than ever.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 AM

This is what I am understanding. I cannot copy patterns and make my own pattern book and sell it. I can use the patterns and make quilts and sell them.If I mass produce quilts I need to
make my own pattern and copyright it. I cannot copyright my quilts.

Last edited by TanyaL; 04-16-2012 at 11:23 AM.