Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Copying patterns --- again

I know the mods may lock this, too, but I NEED to make a comment. Regarding a question asked about making copies of patterns for a friend. I have tons of pattern books, crocheting, needlework, stained glass, painting and quilting (WAAAY too many!). I read them thoroughly and look for info on copying. MOST, except the quilting mags, say you can copy and explain their policy. My suggestion is to e-mail the magazine and ASK if you can have permission. You'll be surprised how fast some of the magazines respond.

Every quilting book I checked said no reproduction at all, or no reproduction except for the exclusive use of the retail purchaser. Copying from a book is just like copying a video. It's stealing from the person who owns the rights to reproduce and sell that article. The same goes for copying quilt patterns that are sold separately. By buying it you have the right to use the pattern, but not to make copies to give away or sell. You can, however, give away or sell the original pattern, provided you don't keep any copies.

Now the patterns in magazines - that's another story, and I don't know the answer.

Blog Entries
    the topic comes up at least once a month. :lol:

i won't lock the thread as long as we're discussing copyrights and not encouraging each other to do what we wish we could but know we shouldn't ... or to pretend we don't know what we know ... and shouldn't ... or arguing about the obvious.

which we do at least once a month. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    The ones I have say no copying without permission from the owner and have an address. If there is something you want to copy only option is to ask for permission and hope they say yes or buy your friend her own version for christmas. :)

Quote Originally Posted by momto4
    The ones I have say no copying without permission from the owner and have an address. If there is something you want to copy only option is to ask for permission and hope they say yes or buy your friend her own version for christmas. :)
    BINGO!!!! You just helped me realize what I can get my friend for Christmas!!!!!! DUH!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Duh! Me! My neighbor is an attorney that does copyright stuff. I asked him about the magazine. He said if I couldn't sleep at night for making a copy of a few pages from a magazine then send the magazine publisher a check for the cost of one magazine. He then dropped his trash in the can and asked me about his roses. 8)

Blog Entries
    so ... it's only wrong if you get caught or feel guilty?

remember ... the subject here is not what we do regardless of the law. the subject here is the law itself.

yes. i'm being a stick-in-the-mud. it's Lesson#1 in Cover Yer Butt 101 for Moderators and Admins.

Is there an exception for out-of-date info? I have a magazine from 1985, for example. Can it be copied?

Quote Originally Posted by saravincent
    Is there an exception for out-of-date info? I have a magazine from 1985, for example. Can it be copied?
    If the magazine is still in business, I'd write them....if they aren't in business, I have no idea.

I guess my feeling is if they do not specify if it is OK or not, you should ask. If they say no, it's illegal and just don't do it.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure this must have been discussed, too, at some point but I didn't see it so I'll ask.

What about if you buy a pattern for a quilt (or whatever), sew one for yourself, and then decide to make more, to sell? Does anyone know what the law has to say about this?

Blog Entries
    you can legally sell what you make from a pattern.

i don't know what the law requires, but i think most quilters include credit to the designer on the label. seems a fair and courteous thing to do.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ

i won't lock the thread as long as we're discussing copyrights and not encouraging each other to do what we wish we could but know we shouldn't ... or to pretend we don't know what we know ... and shouldn't ... or arguing about the obvious.

Yeah but it's fun though, ain't it! :wink: :lol:

Even free patterns that you can find on the net have copyright which I find a bit peculiar. :? You can use the pattern yourself, you can post the link on a forum or send the link to someone else but you CAN'T send the actual pattern. Can someone explain the logic of this? :shock:

I often look online or in mags for inspiration, copy pics, then create something similar. Would that be a copyright problem?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n

Yeah but it's fun though, ain't it! :wink: :lol:

Even free patterns that you can find on the net have copyright which I find a bit peculiar. :? You can use the pattern yourself, you can post the link on a forum or send the link to someone else but you CAN'T send the actual pattern. Can someone explain the logic of this? :shock:
    I think they want you to come back to "their" site to get the pattern, that way you see their other items, advertisers, etc.. as well as a guarantee that they get credit from it.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    :oops: of course, amma that makes perfect sense! Afterall, one of the reasons they give the freebies is to get you to visit in the hope that you go for other stuff too. :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Duh! Me! My neighbor is an attorney that does copyright stuff. I asked him about the magazine. He said if I couldn't sleep at night for making a copy of a few pages from a magazine then send the magazine publisher a check for the cost of one magazine. He then dropped his trash in the can and asked me about his roses. 8)
    :lol: What he said

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Quilter
    I often look online or in mags for inspiration, copy pics, then create something similar. Would that be a copyright problem?
    In many, if not most, cases, a quilt design is not in itself protected by copyright, since the design is not original with the pattern maker. It's the written instructions that are protected by copyright, which is why you can't make copies.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    you can legally sell what you make from a pattern.

i don't know what the law requires, but i think most quilters include credit to the designer on the label. seems a fair and courteous thing to do.
    It would indeed seem fair and courteous... and yet... you run the chance of it being interpreted as trying to gain, by using the fame of the designer.

The reason I bring this up was that about a decade or so ago, when I did lots of craft shows, I had some fabric designed by Debbie Mumm, that I was using for my items. And I contacted her company to ask if it was okay to sell products made from her designer fabrics. What I was told was that I could, as long as it was only myself that was employed in the sewing of the items, and as long as I did not use her name at all in the advertising of the items. This was so that I did not capitalize on the use of her good name.

Granted, this pertains to the use of fabric, not a pattern, but it might be that in the eyes of the law (or some lawyers) the ideas could be quite the same.

Just my two cents (which might not even be worth that much)...

There is a company out there that states right on their website & pattern that making items for sale with their pattern violates copyright policy. I contacted them personally about making & selling their totes, wallets & purses for charity was no told a definite no. I use patterns that say they can be made to sell (usually they put a limit like 50-100 otherwise it's a business) or contact the company. Better safe then sorry.

I do not want to break any laws nor do I want to rob anyone of their due recognition of their talent and hard work but wasnt quilting and sewing and crafting always some thing handed down and taught in families in order to perpetuate the craft? In my husbands family his maternal grandmother made up some of her own crochet patterns and they were passed down to whoever wanted to learn. I also teach and pass many of my tried and true short cuts and ad aptations to my students. I apologize for asking for copies of patterns and such. My thought was to share not steal...