Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Copying patterns --- again >

Copying patterns --- again

Copying patterns --- again

Old 10-10-2009, 08:21 AM

I know the mods may lock this, too, but I NEED to make a comment. Regarding a question asked about making copies of patterns for a friend. I have tons of pattern books, crocheting, needlework, stained glass, painting and quilting (WAAAY too many!). I read them thoroughly and look for info on copying. MOST, except the quilting mags, say you can copy and explain their policy. My suggestion is to e-mail the magazine and ASK if you can have permission. You'll be surprised how fast some of the magazines respond.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Every quilting book I checked said no reproduction at all, or no reproduction except for the exclusive use of the retail purchaser. Copying from a book is just like copying a video. It's stealing from the person who owns the rights to reproduce and sell that article. The same goes for copying quilt patterns that are sold separately. By buying it you have the right to use the pattern, but not to make copies to give away or sell. You can, however, give away or sell the original pattern, provided you don't keep any copies.

Now the patterns in magazines - that's another story, and I don't know the answer.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Administrator

the topic comes up at least once a month. :lol:

i won't lock the thread as long as we're discussing copyrights and not encouraging each other to do what we wish we could but know we shouldn't ... or to pretend we don't know what we know ... and shouldn't ... or arguing about the obvious.

which we do at least once a month. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 10-10-2009, 10:58 AM

The ones I have say no copying without permission from the owner and have an address. If there is something you want to copy only option is to ask for permission and hope they say yes or buy your friend her own version for christmas. :)
Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by momto4
The ones I have say no copying without permission from the owner and have an address. If there is something you want to copy only option is to ask for permission and hope they say yes or buy your friend her own version for christmas. :)
BINGO!!!! You just helped me realize what I can get my friend for Christmas!!!!!! DUH!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 10-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

Duh! Me! My neighbor is an attorney that does copyright stuff. I asked him about the magazine. He said if I couldn't sleep at night for making a copy of a few pages from a magazine then send the magazine publisher a check for the cost of one magazine. He then dropped his trash in the can and asked me about his roses. 8)
Old 10-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Administrator

so ... it's only wrong if you get caught or feel guilty?

remember ... the subject here is not what we do regardless of the law. the subject here is the law itself.

yes. i'm being a stick-in-the-mud. it's Lesson#1 in Cover Yer Butt 101 for Moderators and Admins.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:52 PM

Is there an exception for out-of-date info? I have a magazine from 1985, for example. Can it be copied?
Old 10-10-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by saravincent
Is there an exception for out-of-date info? I have a magazine from 1985, for example. Can it be copied?
If the magazine is still in business, I'd write them....if they aren't in business, I have no idea.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

I guess my feeling is if they do not specify if it is OK or not, you should ask. If they say no, it's illegal and just don't do it.