Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Copyrights for closed business >

Copyrights for closed business

Copyrights for closed business

Old 07-28-2015, 07:19 PM

Not any help just interested.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:45 PM

You may give it away, trade it, or sell it. You simply cannot copy the pattern instructions and illustrations and sell them as your own work product.

Does it work if the teacher of the class looks at this design, makes her own pattern and instructions with a little tweak her or there and gives it to her class participants? I've seen so m any quilts that are so so similar but they are sewn up in current updated fabric and called something else, even sold as something else. For example "spools" or "hour glass". I have directions in a book for an "exploding star" that I've seen stitched up and called something else or all the various chevron patterns, just to mention a few.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyB View Post
I would like to teach a class using a pattern that I purchased many, many years ago. In researching the company and pattern for class members to purchase, I cannot find them! I have exhausted all my resources to find them. My assumption is that the creators of the pattern have gone out of business and the pattern is out of print. It was copyrighted in 1995.

Does the copyright law still apply? Can I photocopy the pattern for my class?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
I designed patterns for 2002 - 2006 and had to stop because life happened. After becoming a professional
pattern designer, I learned a lot about copyright. The fact is that the designer owns the copyright until 70 years after her/his death, and then it becomes public domain. So, yes, the copyright still applies and the patterns should not be photocopied. I, too, am out of business as far as actively marketing my patterns, I still get orders for one in particular, and when I get an order, I fill it promptly. If you have the name of the designer, you might could get in touch with her and she might either be able to send you enough patterns for your class or she might release it to you to photocopy.
Marcia

Last edited by patricej; 07-29-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:28 PM

marciacp
I would love to know/see your patterns. I am always looking and buying patterns. I would love to buy one from someone I "knew". Maybe I would be more motivated to get busy and finish one! Will you do a show and tell?
Old 07-29-2015, 05:44 PM

http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/quil...istmas-sewing/

http://www.favequilts.com/Tree-Skirt...mas-Tree-Skirt

http://tattotatouage.com/search/Dres...Skirt+Pattern/

check some of these out too ... free online