Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Corduroy >

Corduroy

Corduroy

Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
have never liked corduroy. If you wore it, noisy. People could hear you coming. never been crazy about how it feels.
Hummmmmmm! And I love how it feels.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM

I have used it as both backing and binding on a small quilt I made for our little Jack Russell , I wanted to see how it would go together on something small before I attempted anything sizable ! I LOVE how it came out, and so does she !! I have some kid size throw quilts I am putting together for my nieces for Christmas and they will all have corduroy bindings on them ! It gives them a nice soft fuzzy edge . As for using it for the backing, Solvy Water Soluble stabilizer or a heavy starching ! It really helps keep the stretching to a minimum!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I've used it in quilt tops (I've never experienced 'stretchy' corduroy???) been sewing with it for 40 years or more. I've not used it for a whole back before- mainly I guess because it is so expensive- not that it would not make a fabulous back. the batting would be a personal choice- if I were using it I would use batting- if the top of the quilt is already quite heavy I would use a lightweight batting- might even use a wool batting (which is by far my favorite batting- lightweight but lofty- and oh so wonderful to work with- but I might just use a thin cotton too- would depend on the top-
Old 08-22-2013, 01:55 PM

Yes, for a backing on a smaller quilt meant for outside on the ground or to tuck around baby in stroller. Really durable and good protection. I used a piece of flannel instead of batting and the top was just 4 bandanas sewn together. Cute quilt.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
I have used it as both backing and binding on a small quilt I made for our little Jack Russell , I wanted to see how it would go together on something small before I attempted anything sizable ! I LOVE how it came out, and so does she !! I have some kid size throw quilts I am putting together for my nieces for Christmas and they will all have corduroy bindings on them ! It gives them a nice soft fuzzy edge . As for using it for the backing, Solvy Water Soluble stabilizer or a heavy starching ! It really helps keep the stretching to a minimum!

I've used corduroy for ages. Never experienced stretching.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I've never experienced 'stretchy' corduroy, either.

I've found it to be one of the more stable fabrics to work with.

Maybe now there is a stretch corduroy like there is a stretch denim available????
Old 08-25-2013, 08:44 PM

there must be, this corduroy I have I inherited from my aunts stash so lordy only knows where she got it from , but it definatly has ALOT of give !
Old 08-25-2013, 10:37 PM

I have made a quilt out of corduroy, but on the front...
Old 08-25-2013, 11:28 PM

I've used it as a border and in a quilt. It was small whale and I used 1/2" seam allowances for that quilt. Everyone loves it, I mixed flannel, fleece, homes puns, jean and corduroy