Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: corduroy

watch it it walks--i used my walking foot +tacking--also tied it not quilting it --i also used 1/2 inch seams --i did love the look + the feel of it sorry no pics

blondeslave, that is cute! How did it 'rag up'? Did the corduroy work as well as the flannel? I have a lot of the no-wale corduroy scraps, and flannel squares from a swap that would go together well for a kids quilt. Looks like you have a great idea there. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    corduroy 'rag's up just fine as long as it is 100% cotton and you clip fairly close, it is a tighter weave than plain or flannel cottons. i used 1/2" seams instead of 1/4" and clipped about every 1/4" ... i don't measure at all, i just clip, clip clip

Blog Entries
    Be sure to wash before you cut or sew...had some old material of my Mom's...I wash anything I don't buy new...and it shredded apart in the washing machine...so glad I had not wasted time on it.

I made a corduroy quilt for my Sister for Christmas. She loves it.
    Used corduroy on the top with half squared triangles and used denim in a coordinating color for the backing.
    It is very warm and is great for the winter months.
    Just be sure to sew in the ditch so your seams don't fray.
    Laura
    I am just wondering whether any of you have ever done any quilting with corduroy. At the thrift store the other day, I passed up several yards of blue, brown and red cord fabric because I didn't know what I would do with it. This was small wale I think it is called.

It makes wonderful quilts and lap robes for our troops.
    They really appreciate them.

KansasBarb

I saw several cool log cabin quilts done in with corduroy when I was in Norway this summer. I imagine that they are warmer than some might be - which is fitting for that climate.

Cheers, K

Interesting! I have seen a lot of really cute prints made out of this material and my first thought was "I wish this was cotton". Hmm, maybe it doesn't have to be! :) Food for thought!

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    I am just wondering whether any of you have ever done any quilting with corduroy. At the thrift store the other day, I passed up several yards of blue, brown and red cord fabric because I didn't know what I would do with it. This was small wale I think it is called.
    I use corduroy for backings. Then don't use batting.

I turned down a donation of corduroy just the other day...now I think I'll try and get it back...three colors, small wale, very pretty. Seems I made a rash decision.

Could what you have be 'clipped corduroy'? I haven't seen any for years but it looked somewhat like velvet but is corduroy? I am guessing that is what you have. Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Sew
    I have wanted to try it on a rag quilt and see how it does. Just haven't tried it yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work for either type of quilt. Some types are much heavier than others, so I would stay away from the heavier weights I think.
    My daughter used cord on a rag quilt. One side was flannel & the other side was cord. It was beautiful & frayed nicely. Her only problem was getting her little machine to sew through the layers. I sewed it on my Bernina just fine.

Corduroy cut into squares and sewn to a flannel backing makes a great car quilt for teens.

Blog Entries
    i did the card trick king size quilt i love it it is heavy and you will have a lot of lint but just clean up machine afterwards i love mine made of corduroy

You can do anything and try anything that you want. Be creative. Right now I'm working on a wall hanging that has cottons, upholstery fabric and leathers in it. Very unconventional, but it's beautiful! Go for it!!

I made a tied quilt for my daughter from scraps of corduroy that were left from making garments for her from age 5mos to 10 years old. She says its one of her favorite quilts, she helped to tie it. I backed it with a very lightweight denim fabric(it was in my stash).
    I used a walking foot and a size 16/100 denim needle to sew it and a poly/cotton thread; also a 3/8" seam allowance just in case the corduroy ravels(it will).

Blog Entries
    I doubled over laughing reading King's Daughter reply. In our area we called it brushed corduroy. I did a lot of sewing then and still picture my "boys" wearing the thin and heavy wale cords that I made. My daughter wore brushed cord jumpers

I also have used corduroy to back quilts. It adds weight, and washes really well.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltbugs
    Question about corduroy: I had some corduroy that I bought a really long time ago that had no "wale" at all...in other words, it was just smooth, almost like a velvety texture on top. Does anybody know what that material was called? I backed a quilt with it, and it was just great. It was almost like a real heavy flannel. The fabric was 60" wide, and I would love to get some more, if they still make such a thing.
    It's called waleless corduroy. I had a pattern years ago using it that was just beautiful, the blocks were turned so the nap went different directions and it made it look like different colors.

When my children were little I ran into a treasure trove of remnants of corduroy that were big enough to make apair of pants for my boys. Well, some of them got sewn up ( a very few) and the boys grew. I passed the rest on to my friend whose children were younger so she could make pants. She used them to make a Kings Crown quilt and it was beautiful!!! It was heavy and warm She used it for some 30 years and loved it.

Blog Entries
    I made a twin size Log Cabin with strips from corduroy pants. I backed it with 1 giant Log Cabin, also of corduroy. It was so heavy that I tied it instead of quilting. My daughter requested it when she was chosen to be an RA at her college. She wanted something warm & welcoming on her daybed for kids who needed someone to talk to. She still has it (20+ years later), and it's still heavy!

If I were to make another quilt from corduroy I would choose a pattern with very few seams, and I wouldn't use corduroy as backing!

I'm so glad I asked this question. I have learned so much. If that fabric is still there when I go back on Monday after my Dr. appt., I'm getting it!
    Thanks so much for sharing all your experiences and memories everyone. I can see that corduroy quilts are not only warm, but create warm and special memories too.

I took all my kids old bell bottom cords and used the legs. I made just simple big squares and made my son a quilt. I used a matching striped bed sheet for backing. and made dk brown binding. Makes a great quilt. I hand quilted it with just simple criss cross lines. Added a few purchased or begged for (Can I have a peice of that?) brighter colors to help offset all the browns and blues. He was in his 50's when I gave it to him. His younger brother wants one now too.

Senior Member quilting librarian's Avatar
    I have a rag quilt, lap size, that I made with 9" corduroy squares for the top, and flannel for the back, and Warm & Natural for batting. I love it!

Its not usually used in quilts. The seams would be really bulky.
    Would work OK in a rag quilt. Some machines wouldn't be able to sew through the several thicknesses using corduroy in a rag quilt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast