Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: corduroy

I am just wondering whether any of you have ever done any quilting with corduroy. At the thrift store the other day, I passed up several yards of blue, brown and red cord fabric because I didn't know what I would do with it. This was small wale I think it is called.

I think it will add wonderful texture to a quilt.

Power Poster
    it's wonderful for a utility quilt or a car quilt.

I have only used it for texture quilts, and bedding for my fur babies. But it worked very well for those, just be sure to wash it first, mine really shrunk in the dryer.

Blog Entries
    that would make a nice arm quilt for college kids but i'd use at leat 1/2 seams. Or even a donation quilt. if the price is good, try it. you may start a new trend

You need to use fairly large pieces and it's a lot easier if all of the corduroy is the same wale width. The UFO one I need to get back to is several different wale widths, which means different degrees of stretch on the crosswise grain, which can create problems if you aren't careful...hence mine currently in UFO status. Also I had tried to do it with 1/4" seams and narrow strips for part of it...NOT recommended!

Random large squares, big squares for a D9P, Around the World...all would be great...log cabin NOT a good plan!

I saw a patchwork quilt on Design On A Dime one year. It was all corderoy & it was just really large patches going in opposite directions. Like one patch the corderoy was going up & down & the next patch it was going sideways. It was tans & browns & it looked really pretty. She didn't quilt it but I think she tied it. Could be quilted though.

I have wanted to try it on a rag quilt and see how it does. Just haven't tried it yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work for either type of quilt. Some types are much heavier than others, so I would stay away from the heavier weights I think.

Blog Entries
    I made a quilt using 7" inch corduroy squares. I serged the seams and it made a nice quilt for the trailer.

I use all kinds of fabrics, and I love corduroy! The texture is awesome! I have mixed it with squares of old jeans, and it makes a wonderful warm quilt!

I've made a couple of quilts out of corduroy, but I didn't quilt them, I tied them. I think it would be very hard to machine or hand quilt corduroy.

I've made quilts using corduroy and mixed it with denim, heavier cottons or upholstery material. It does shrink so washing before you start is necessary. Make your seams a little wider and just use simple patterns. I machine quilted mine as I find ties eventually pull out with heavy use. Sometimes I use fleece on the back with no batting as the quilt is heavy enough. I also had some old pillow ticking that I used on the back of another. These make good camping quilts or quilts to take to a hockey game to sit on the cold bleachers (there's no heat in our arena!). I also use corduroy in the touch and feel fidgit quilts I make for the Alzheimer's patients at our local nursing homes.

A lot of good suggestions! I am going to have to try this with corduroy scraps left from making my DDs' clothes.

Question about corduroy: I had some corduroy that I bought a really long time ago that had no "wale" at all...in other words, it was just smooth, almost like a velvety texture on top. Does anybody know what that material was called? I backed a quilt with it, and it was just great. It was almost like a real heavy flannel. The fabric was 60" wide, and I would love to get some more, if they still make such a thing.

Blog Entries
    i am working on a Phesant quilt for my sister (for her boyfriend) and she sent corduroy with the fabrics to use, she has the center stained glass phesant done and a border around it with 1/2 square triangle blocks with corduroy and flannel; that is as far as she got, then it has set for something like 3 years...she finally decided she will never get it done and brought it to me to finish.
    i made a raggy quilt a few years ago that the back was 7" corduroy squares, the front flannels...boy is it ever a heavy quilt! very masculine, warm and has washed up very well.

Blog Entries
    you can find a wonderful selection of 100% cotton corduroy fabrics from fabric.com; they have everything from pin-wale (like the smooth corduroy you used) up to heavy wale(12) the great things about using corduroy is i have not had any color run issues or shrinkage. it washes up well and is made to last!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltbugs
    Question about corduroy: I had some corduroy that I bought a really long time ago that had no "wale" at all...in other words, it was just smooth, almost like a velvety texture on top. Does anybody know what that material was called? I backed a quilt with it, and it was just great. It was almost like a real heavy flannel. The fabric was 60" wide, and I would love to get some more, if they still make such a thing.

[quote=ckcowl]you can find a wonderful selection of 100% cotton corduroy fabrics from fabric.com; they have everything from pin-wale (like the smooth corduroy you used) up to heavy wale(12) the great things about using corduroy is i have not had any color run issues or shrinkage. it washes up well and is made to last!

Thanks! I am looking at fabric.com.....They have something called "uncut corduroy". I wonder if this is it, because it sure looks like it. Thank you for the suggestion!

[quote=quiltbugs]
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    you can find a wonderful selection of 100% cotton corduroy fabrics from fabric.com; they have everything from pin-wale (like the smooth corduroy you used) up to heavy wale(12) the great things about using corduroy is i have not had any color run issues or shrinkage. it washes up well and is made to last!

Thanks! I am looking at fabric.com.....They have something called "uncut corduroy". I wonder if this is it, because it sure looks like it. Thank you for the suggestion!
    I made clothes with that a loooong time ago, and I think it was called brushed corduroy. It made cute jumpers for my girls when they were little.

You almost had the name .. its called unwaled corduroy. It is still made and sold in alot of fabric stores.

Power Poster
    Cotton velveteen - I loved that fabric - and it did wash up well.

[quote=King's Daughter]
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl

I made clothes with that a loooong time ago, and I think it was called brushed corduroy. It made cute jumpers for my girls when they were little.
    YES! Way back when, I also made a jumper out of it. (this was probably back in about the 1970's). And I think I bought the fabric at JC Penneys, believe it or not, when ALL the stores sold fabric...probably paid about 99 cents a yard for it.

:-D

I made clothes with that a loooong time ago, and I think it was called brushed corduroy. It made cute jumpers for my girls when they were little.[/quote]

YES! Way back when, I also made a jumper out of it. (this was probably back in about the 1970's). And I think I bought the fabric at JC Penneys, believe it or not, when ALL the stores sold fabric...probably paid about 99 cents a yard for it.

:-D[/quote]

Yep, that's about when I was sewing for my girls! And all the department stores did have a fabric section. Those were the days...

Years ago when we lived in a drafty old farm house without central heat---just coal and then later oil stoves, Mom would use old corduroy pants and denim ones too. She'd cut them into simple squares, rather large, and sew them together. She never tried to quilt them, just tied them. They're very warm, very heavy but if you live where it gets really cold there's just nothing much nicer. Also, in a "cabin" style home they look great on the back of a couch, on a chair or folded on the foot of the bed. If you don't want it to be quite so heavy, don't use batting. You can back them with flannel or muslin, and use a lightweight sheet blanket for batting for a medium warmth.
    And if you alternate the way the wale is running it will give it a great almost woven look.

Corduroy is just like velvet in the fact that they both have nap.
    They are both considered a one-way design fabric.
    When you brush your hand down the fabric, you can feel that it is going with the way you rub, or against it.
    One direction will look darker than the other, so if it matters to you, have the direction all going the same way.
    Our group in Midland sends quilts all over the world so there is a lot of donated fabric.
    There were several boxes of already cut squares done by a gentleman in the group.
    Some had tried to sew them together, but after trying to stitch them on a regular machine, gave up.
    I brought the boxes home and stitched them together on my serger. You just hold both ends together as you serge.
    These turned out very nice and was shipped out to some very happy teens that needed them for warmth.

A couple of years ago coned my friend Amanda who has quilted for years into helping me make a rag quilt for our annual basset hound rescue Pawction. I had been given precut flannel squares with hounds and I had collected mini wale corduroy in red and black-some with beautiful embroidered roses. Plus this brushed corduroy fabric for the border with fabulous embroidery and sequined flowers. We had flannel for the back. She said it couldn't be done-I made a sample square. Here is a picture of the result before the border and seam clipping if I can load the picture. Learned alot-I'm more fearless than know what I'm doing so you may not want to try this at home.

rag quilt using corduroy and flannel
    Name:  Attachment-99371.jpe
Views: 68
Size:  64.5 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast