Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Corner triangles won't line up

I need some help...I'm working on the Garden Twist pattern and can't for the life of me get the trellis to line up. (The corner triangles) I've sewn and ripped out a dozen times. What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kas
    Pin more. Put a pin through the intersection, but just put it straight through so it is sticking out the back. Then put a pin on either side of the set pin and secure the fabric with those. Now remove the first pin. See if that helps with keeping it in place. If you have already been doing that, then I don't know! LOL! Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slhager
    I need some help...I'm working on the Garden Twist pattern and can't for the life of me get the trellis to line up. (The corner triangles) I've sewn and ripped out a dozen times. What am I doing wrong?
    Can you back the camera up and show a wider shot of your corner? It would help to see what comes before and after your triangle.

Edit: you could trim an 1/8" off the blue and bring the triangle up where it should sit. Pinning or tacking is also good to get it to meet well.

I'll try that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Can you back the camera up and show a wider shot of your corner? It would help to see what comes before and after your triangle.

Edit: you could trim an 1/8" off the blue and bring the triangle up where it should sit. Pinning or tacking is also good to get it to meet well.
    Bigger shot of the corner
    Name:  Attachment-271700.jpe
Views: 42
Size:  50.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Pin more. Put a pin through the intersection, but just put it straight through so it is sticking out the back. Then put a pin on either side of the set pin and secure the fabric with those. Now remove the first pin. See if that helps with keeping it in place. If you have already been doing that, then I don't know! LOL! Good luck!
    Great advice! I'm going to note this in the "quilting hints" notebook :-D

Sorry, the blue is the ironing board cover. Gotta work on my photography. LOL

Where I'm off is the lower corner of the dark green. Where the long dark green meets up with the dark green corner.

Blog Entries
    Where I'm off is the lower corner of the dark green. Where the long dark green meets up with the dark green corner.
    That corner is where you need to place the straight pin, and then the two securing pins.

Looks like you need to "ease" in the longer piece. Keeping it on the bottom will help a little.

It would also help to sew from the top of that corner -- less sewing before you get to the crucial corner. You still need to pin the other end and "ease" in the longer piece to have everything work out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    Great advice! I'm going to note this in the "quilting hints" notebook :-D
    i learned this from alex anderson's tv show years back

Make sure you starch the heck out of the material before cutting (if you are not done cutting). Sometimes the bias on the HST can stretch.

Second - watch your seam allowance. I've had this same problem with this pattern and usually the seam went slightly "Wonky" in the area where the overage occurs. It only takes one or two threads width difference in the seam to add up to that amount of difference on the edge.

Love your use of the prints and the green trellis/twists.

Blog Entries
    Are you sure you made the diagonal seam of the dark green and foral right? If this seam is off, it won't allow you to match up the other junctions.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia
    Are you sure you made the diagonal seam of the dark green and foral right? If this seam is off, it won't allow you to match up the other junctions.
    I'm thinking the seams for the corner diagonals (triangles) might be just a tiny bit too wide/deep. Try making them about 1/16 inch narrower. (or a bit less)

Blog Entries
    I agree with the pinning advice. Gosh that's beautiful fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by VickyS
    Make sure you starch the heck out of the material before cutting (if you are not done cutting). Sometimes the bias on the HST can stretch.

Second - watch your seam allowance. I've had this same problem with this pattern and usually the seam went slightly "Wonky" in the area where the overage occurs. It only takes one or two threads width difference in the seam to add up to that amount of difference on the edge.

Love your use of the prints and the green trellis/twists.
    "Ditto". You might also want to check the measurements of each block to see if you are a little bit off and then you can fix it. I would guess it may be your seam allowance. This pattern is much more difficult than it looks. You have picked VERY lovely fabrics for this quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks everyone...I got it...they finally line up. What did it was starch, PINS (I was trying to sew without pinning. afraid it would poke holes in the fabric) and put a governor on my foot pedal. If you don't sew with "the pedal to the metal" things work lots better.

Blog Entries
    Glad you worked it out, I did my fair share of unpicking when I made that pattern

Blog Entries
    pin- right at the intersection as described above- then start at the intersection and stitch out toward the outside-instead of outside in.

:thumbup:

Sometimes when that happens to me it is because I made the seams to wide somewhere in the block or on the piece when I sewed it to the other piece of fabric.

Pinning more might be the cure but when all else fails simply tack the intersections together and then sew.

What is the name of your fabric?

Looks like the triangular corner down from the problem is also not lined up. Perhaps it started below somewhere.

yay! Glad you got it now.

Blog Entries
    Can't wait to see the whole quilt. It is going to be beautiful. I used a hint from someone on here and tacked (with thread) the corners on my latest project and it came out perfect. I tried the three pin method but I hate dealing with pins when I'm sewing. If you tack with thread then you can just sew right through. I also pinch my seams per Jenny Beyer's advice. Get them between your fingers so you can feel exactly where they meet. And, I use the "peek" method too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast