Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton prices from Clark Howard on HLN >

Cotton prices from Clark Howard on HLN

Cotton prices from Clark Howard on HLN

Old 04-11-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
Does this mean I have to stop shopping before the prices go up? Darn, I was having so much fun.
Now we don't have a good excuse for building our stashes. LOL
Old 04-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
Does this mean I have to stop shopping before the prices go up? Darn, I was having so much fun.
Now we don't have a good excuse for building our stashes. LOL
LOL! I didn't realize we needed to have an excuse. It hasn't stopped me.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:27 PM

I saw that a month or so ago. and started stash building again. You mean i didn't have to? gosh darn. welcome back.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I was really trying to put a positive spin on the cotton issue since so many of us were bummed at the prospect of rising fabric prices. I'm also a realist. So, there is always a chance that something might not work out, but in the meantime I'd like to steer clear of the Negative Nancys. Of course nobody can predict the weather with 100% certainty, but just like sunshine after rain here's looking toward a brighter future with lower cotton prices. I'm keeping a smile on my face and a positive attitude in my heart. I hope it rubs off on the rest of you.

i'm with you, its so nice to see someone being positive - all the negativity should stop.

the forum should promote positive energy which translates into positive creativity.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
and just how can he predict what the weather will do to these crops?
and has he also figured in the fact that many states where the farmers are planting cotton are doing so for the very first time so NOBODY knows if it will even grow..and if it does, they still do not know how they will get it to a GIN or storage area because not all states have them, so if they have to truck/train it out that expense will be added to finally cost of the goods....and in states like TX which grows the most already, if it can not be shipped out to the gins right away or if the gins and storage places are full it has to sit in the fields and MOLD so it is of lesser value when it does get to the gin...so....really....

That is like predicting whether or not the wind will blow in OK on any given day....
I am not a "Negative Nancy" but a realist. I agree that it is highly unlikely that prices will go down to the levels they were before. And Clark (the dear man) is not able to predict what will happen in agriculture next year. I work in a business stongly connected to agriculture - and connected somewhat to cotton. Even the ag "experts" always hedge their predictions.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I was really trying to put a positive spin on the cotton issue since so many of us were bummed at the prospect of rising fabric prices. I'm also a realist. So, there is always a chance that something might not work out, but in the meantime I'd like to steer clear of the Negative Nancys. Of course nobody can predict the weather with 100% certainty, but just like sunshine after rain here's looking toward a brighter future with lower cotton prices. I'm keeping a smile on my face and a positive attitude in my heart. I hope it rubs off on the rest of you.
HERE HERE!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D
Old 10-31-2011, 02:18 PM

There may be no cotton in the fields where you live... But there is a huge 40 acre field of it ready for harvest just across the street from me. And many more in my neck of the woods: SW Georgia.

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Here is the link to his report..http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/shop...me-reco/nCHdC/

there is NO cotton in the US fields right now, and what is being planted here in the US won't be ready until FALL....

so maybe the cotton that is produced over seas will be done and might drive prices down some, but we won't see it in fabric for another year or so!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:42 PM
QKO

I don't want to be a "negative Nancy" either, but I believe in being realistic. The fact is that raw cotton constitutes only about 5-10% of the cost of finished fabric.

With all of the other price pressures on cotton goods, I doubt you'll see any decrease in the prices of new quilting fabric any time soon.

Here's why:

Transportation costs continue to rise.

Wages in China, where literally all the greige goods are made, are increasing as the population becomes more upwardly mobile.

Increasing demand for cotton products by growing and upwardly mobile populations in various parts of the world will continue to divert the goods used in niche markets like quilting fabric to other, more profitable uses. Manufacturers of quilting fabrics will continue to be forced to either lower quality to hold prices, or go to more expensive greige goods.

A shortage of printing facilities in So. Korea and Japan, where most quality fabrics are printed and finished, will continue to cause supply problems and resultant price increases in finished goods. Some manufacturers will continue to move printing to China, however rising wages there will continue to put price pressure on finished goods.

Prices of greige goods have been artificially low for a number of years as China subsidized the manufacture of them to corner the market. Now that they own the market, they'll let prices continue to rise until they reach natural levels.

There are other reasons, but I think the most we can expect is a slowdown or temporary stop in the price increases.

Even this would be a good thing. It's been really depressing the last couple of years to go on buying trips and wonder what the new increased prices will be for the next 6 months. I'd like for once for the reps to say "no price increases this time!"