Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Cotton prices from Clark Howard on HLN

  1. #1
    Super Member quilterguy27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,452
    Woo Hoo! I just watched Morning Express with Robin Meade this morning and Clark Howard had plenty to say about the price of cotton. He said the prices are soaring right now, BUT so many people anticipated the price going up and over planted the crops. Now there is an abundance of cotton. So, if the prices for clothes and fabric are too high right now, just wait until the fall and the prices should drop dramatically since the market will be flooded with cotton. Sounds to me like this is the news we've been waiting to hear. How exciting! Now I can't wait for the prices to drop so I can hit the fabric stores and come home a WINNER! LOL! I couldn't resist the Sheenism.

  2. #2
    Senior Member sassyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Stone Mountain Ga
    Posts
    619
    Thanks for sharing....I will wait til fall to see what happens

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    and just how can he predict what the weather will do to these crops?
    and has he also figured in the fact that many states where the farmers are planting cotton are doing so for the very first time so NOBODY knows if it will even grow..and if it does, they still do not know how they will get it to a GIN or storage area because not all states have them, so if they have to truck/train it out that expense will be added to finally cost of the goods....and in states like TX which grows the most already, if it can not be shipped out to the gins right away or if the gins and storage places are full it has to sit in the fields and MOLD so it is of lesser value when it does get to the gin...so....really....

    That is like predicting whether or not the wind will blow in OK on any given day....

  4. #4
    Super Member JenniePenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,532
    Good news - thanks QuilterGuy 27. Clark Howard usually puts a good amount of research into things.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Here is the link to his report..http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/shop...me-reco/nCHdC/

    there is NO cotton in the US fields right now, and what is being planted here in the US won't be ready until FALL....

    so maybe the cotton that is produced over seas will be done and might drive prices down some, but we won't see it in fabric for another year or so!

  6. #6
    Senior Member MamaHen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    967
    I don't think you will ever see the price of cotton goods drop. With cost of transportation being what it is, that will make up for any difference in drop in cotton prices. From my view point, when the consumer is willing to pay the prices at present levels, they will continue to do so, then why should they drop the prices. I think we can see the current levels of cotton fabric and cotton goods stay at present levels or even inch up. With the world wide demand for cotton, I won't be holding my breath for yesterday prices. I'm stocking up now, on good quality fabrics at 40 to 50% at LQS. 95% of the time I always just buy from the sale racks.

  7. #7
    Super Member quilterguy27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,452
    I was really trying to put a positive spin on the cotton issue since so many of us were bummed at the prospect of rising fabric prices. I'm also a realist. So, there is always a chance that something might not work out, but in the meantime I'd like to steer clear of the Negative Nancys. Of course nobody can predict the weather with 100% certainty, but just like sunshine after rain here's looking toward a brighter future with lower cotton prices. I'm keeping a smile on my face and a positive attitude in my heart. I hope it rubs off on the rest of you.

  8. #8
    Super Member quilterguy27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    Good news - thanks QuilterGuy 27. Clark Howard usually puts a good amount of research into things.
    EXACTLY what I thought. He seems like someone you can put your trust in. He doesn't strike me as the type that would deliberately point us in the wrong direction. His motto is: Save more, Spend less, and AVOID getting ripped off.

  9. #9
    Super Member michelehuston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,043
    I agree...any hint of good news in the economy is worth a smile!! Being unemployed for 2 years takes a toll so I relish a chance for good news! Thank you!! :thumbup:

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    262
    Blog Entries
    5
    Does this mean I have to stop shopping before the prices go up? Darn, I was having so much fun.

  11. #11
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8,161
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
    Does this mean I have to stop shopping before the prices go up? Darn, I was having so much fun.
    Now we don't have a good excuse for building our stashes. LOL

  12. #12
    Super Member quilterguy27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
    Does this mean I have to stop shopping before the prices go up? Darn, I was having so much fun.
    Now we don't have a good excuse for building our stashes. LOL
    LOL! I didn't realize we needed to have an excuse. It hasn't stopped me.

  13. #13
    Super Member sewNso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S C michigan
    Posts
    2,037
    Blog Entries
    1
    I saw that a month or so ago. and started stash building again. You mean i didn't have to? gosh darn. welcome back.

  14. #14
    Super Member fabric_fancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    at my sewing machine
    Posts
    1,975
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    I was really trying to put a positive spin on the cotton issue since so many of us were bummed at the prospect of rising fabric prices. I'm also a realist. So, there is always a chance that something might not work out, but in the meantime I'd like to steer clear of the Negative Nancys. Of course nobody can predict the weather with 100% certainty, but just like sunshine after rain here's looking toward a brighter future with lower cotton prices. I'm keeping a smile on my face and a positive attitude in my heart. I hope it rubs off on the rest of you.

    i'm with you, its so nice to see someone being positive - all the negativity should stop.

    the forum should promote positive energy which translates into positive creativity.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southeast Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    and just how can he predict what the weather will do to these crops?
    and has he also figured in the fact that many states where the farmers are planting cotton are doing so for the very first time so NOBODY knows if it will even grow..and if it does, they still do not know how they will get it to a GIN or storage area because not all states have them, so if they have to truck/train it out that expense will be added to finally cost of the goods....and in states like TX which grows the most already, if it can not be shipped out to the gins right away or if the gins and storage places are full it has to sit in the fields and MOLD so it is of lesser value when it does get to the gin...so....really....

    That is like predicting whether or not the wind will blow in OK on any given day....
    I am not a "Negative Nancy" but a realist. I agree that it is highly unlikely that prices will go down to the levels they were before. And Clark (the dear man) is not able to predict what will happen in agriculture next year. I work in a business stongly connected to agriculture - and connected somewhat to cotton. Even the ag "experts" always hedge their predictions.

  16. #16
    Super Member wuv2quilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Morganton, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    I was really trying to put a positive spin on the cotton issue since so many of us were bummed at the prospect of rising fabric prices. I'm also a realist. So, there is always a chance that something might not work out, but in the meantime I'd like to steer clear of the Negative Nancys. Of course nobody can predict the weather with 100% certainty, but just like sunshine after rain here's looking toward a brighter future with lower cotton prices. I'm keeping a smile on my face and a positive attitude in my heart. I hope it rubs off on the rest of you.
    HERE HERE!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

  17. #17
    Senior Member DeneK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Commerce, Ga
    Posts
    844
    There may be no cotton in the fields where you live... But there is a huge 40 acre field of it ready for harvest just across the street from me. And many more in my neck of the woods: SW Georgia.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Here is the link to his report..http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/shop...me-reco/nCHdC/

    there is NO cotton in the US fields right now, and what is being planted here in the US won't be ready until FALL....

    so maybe the cotton that is produced over seas will be done and might drive prices down some, but we won't see it in fabric for another year or so!

  18. #18
    QKO
    QKO is offline
    Super Member QKO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western Nevada
    Posts
    2,528
    I don't want to be a "negative Nancy" either, but I believe in being realistic. The fact is that raw cotton constitutes only about 5-10% of the cost of finished fabric.

    With all of the other price pressures on cotton goods, I doubt you'll see any decrease in the prices of new quilting fabric any time soon.

    Here's why:

    Transportation costs continue to rise.

    Wages in China, where literally all the greige goods are made, are increasing as the population becomes more upwardly mobile.

    Increasing demand for cotton products by growing and upwardly mobile populations in various parts of the world will continue to divert the goods used in niche markets like quilting fabric to other, more profitable uses. Manufacturers of quilting fabrics will continue to be forced to either lower quality to hold prices, or go to more expensive greige goods.

    A shortage of printing facilities in So. Korea and Japan, where most quality fabrics are printed and finished, will continue to cause supply problems and resultant price increases in finished goods. Some manufacturers will continue to move printing to China, however rising wages there will continue to put price pressure on finished goods.

    Prices of greige goods have been artificially low for a number of years as China subsidized the manufacture of them to corner the market. Now that they own the market, they'll let prices continue to rise until they reach natural levels.

    There are other reasons, but I think the most we can expect is a slowdown or temporary stop in the price increases.

    Even this would be a good thing. It's been really depressing the last couple of years to go on buying trips and wonder what the new increased prices will be for the next 6 months. I'd like for once for the reps to say "no price increases this time!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.