Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Could this fabric be 100 years old?

Question Could this fabric be 100 years old?

I was talking to my sweet brother a couple of weeks ago about trying to quilt. He remembered that he & my sister-in-law had bought this fabric 20+ years ago. At that time they liked to accent with red in every room. So they saw a show about this fabric & they bought this table cloth. (He' doesn't remeber where) He also thinks it is called "Turkey Red". Since it isn't a red/red they packed it away. Anyway I recieved this wonderful surprise from him today. The funny thing is that "Iris's" are my favorite flower & he didn't even notice that was the design on it. Does anybody know anything about this fabric? I hate the thought of cutting up something so old, but I don't want to pack it away either. I don't know that you could use it for a quilt, any suggestions???
    Last edited by TnBecky; 01-18-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Sorry the picture didn't work

Have you got a picture? I'd love to see it
    Happiness is a form of travel...not a destination.

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    if it's a tablecloth, use it.... there's a lot of red fabric out there...and newer fabrics with better dye solutions and therefore more colorfast....

I am still trying to upload a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finally got the picture to load. This fabric is not a tight weave. Keep in mind I know that it is very old.

Perhaps you should just use it as a tablecloth and get to enjoy the iris that way?????
    God Bless,
    Rachel

The fabric is so unique that you certainly don't want to mess it up. Take it to your LQS and ask their opinion of whether it would be suitable for quilting. They may be able to advise you as to what you can do with it to showcase it's uniqueness. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by BSKTLOFR-QUILTER View Post
    The fabric is so unique that you certainly don't want to mess it up. Take it to your LQS and ask their opinion of whether it would be suitable for quilting. They may be able to advise you as to what you can do with it to showcase it's uniqueness. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Good idea. Thank you so much.

It's beautiful fabric, maybe you could just drape it creatively over a chair or something? Maybe a back for a small quilt. Pillows? If red fits in your house there are so many things you could do with it.
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

Thinkk I would use it as a table cover......it's beatiful and does look old, if you have a quilt museum somewhere you will be visiting take it with you and ask a conservator.

delma

Quote Originally Posted by TnBecky View Post
    This fabric is not a tight weave. Keep in mind I know that it is very old.
    If the fabric is not a tight enough weave, when you sew seams and put any tension on them, the threads could pull apart. I think the table top idea is wonderful. I might even put a piece of glass on top of it to protect it from spills.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    perhaps you could use a lightweight iron-on stabilizer. it's really beautiful. i'm partial to red. if you do decide to do a quilt, maybe use the fabric as a single large center block. Something like this
    Name:  single block quilt.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  42.4 KB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

cool, make a special wall hanging. it would be perfect.
    Vicki Mc in SC
    www.jacksonpatchquilt.blogspot.com

That looks like a linen tablecloth to me. I have seen similar in different colors and designs through the years. Drapes well and washes up like a dream. Great find!

Blog Entries
    I don't know if it is 100 years old or not, but it sure is pretty. I too, would use it as a tablecloth, only I would put a clear plastic tablecloth over it ( the kind you buy at Wal-Mart) so it doesn't get ruined.
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

There are also a couple of really good books on dating fabric. I'm not sure the name of the authors but if you check out amazon you should be able to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    perhaps you could use a lightweight iron-on stabilizer. it's really beautiful. i'm partial to red. if you do decide to do a quilt, maybe use the fabric as a single large center block. Something like this
    Name:  single block quilt.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  42.4 KB
    That's a good idea. Thanks.

Is the pattern woven or printed? If woven it might be a type of "damask" and used for table linen. Older would be natural fibers and more modern may have synthetics. It looks 1940-50ish to me. The iris pattern looks like decorator fabric, not dressmaking goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
    Is the pattern woven or printed? If woven it might be a type of "damask" and used for table linen. Older would be natural fibers and more modern may have synthetics. It looks 1940-50ish to me. The iris pattern looks like decorator fabric, not dressmaking goods.

It is a woven print. I now believe that this is a coverlette for a bed, not a tablecloth.

Blog Entries
    Turkey reds fade to brown due to the chemicals even if kept in a closet. I have several from my childhood that were in my grandmothers stash. They are still lovely to me but others think not so. It looks to be from the 20's. I would back it and bind it and lay it across a chair back or couch back and enjoy it. Maybe cut a large square frame it with an info card down in the corner about it. JMHO

There is quite a lot of history behind Turkey Red.....read here

http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/...urkey-red.html
    When I look at this it feels kind of Art Deco to me 1920's-1930's Its a real gem!

My Mom made a skirt with that fabric for herself and it is at least 100 years old.

Blog Entries
    Looks like it could be Damask to me. I would keep it as a tablecloth...it is lovely.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

How about a quilt back? Then you could see it and not have to cut it up (at least not too much).

How about a table runner. the fabric is stunning and like you, I love it. What a neat piece to get from your brother!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast