Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
could I spray baste the quilt top to my cutting board? >

could I spray baste the quilt top to my cutting board?

could I spray baste the quilt top to my cutting board?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:29 AM

I like to make what I call Stained Glass Portrait Quilts.

I just envisioned an extremely complicated pattern, that I would need to be sure there was no shifting of the fabric as I used the rotary cutter. So, I thought about spray basting it.

Would that work? I would be spraying the fusible side of the fabric to the cutting mat.

Spray baste will just wash off - right?

To understand what I am talking about (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-125355-1.htm), lower down on the page I explain the technique.

But, of course, I won't have time til after Sunday (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-141112-1.htm) - so it gives you time to convince me one way or the other. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 AM

I feel that you will be oh so sorry, because I got just a mist of spray on mine, and it is awful. It spreads through the air and lands on everything. I always hold a large piece of cardboard behind what I am spraying, to catch the mist. You would be amazed at how much there is. Hope you find the best solution for yourself.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

The over spray, and hassle of having to scrub your board each time may be a problem. Especially trying to get the spray out of the cuts in the board.
Some sprays clean off much easier than others too :wink:

I also wonder how the basting spray will interact with the fusible?

Interesting idea though... I will be very curious as to the outcome :D:D:D
Old 07-29-2011, 09:55 AM

Couple questions/comments:
1- If I did the back side of my cutting mat, I wouldn't have to worry so much about it not coming off when I clean it. The mat I would use stays on my cutting table.

2- Would it adhere the mat to the wooden table?

3- Doesn't spray baste wear off after a couple weeks? So, Eventually it would be gone??

4- I could do a test of a small piece of the fusible, to see how it interacts with the spray baste.

Maybe this idea needs a little more fine tuning (or chucked??). I just am trying to think how to hold a large piece of fabric absolutely in place while cutting.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:04 AM

Could you take some freezer paper and press the fabric to the wax side of it, then place it on your mat and use clips to hold it on your mat steady while cutting? Just trying to brainstorm with you.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Maybe buy a second mat just for this purpose?

I would be leery of the spray touching the wood table surface...especially for long periods of time, and yes, it would adhere it to the table. I wonder if the accelerants would eat the finish?

I sprayed some of the Sullivans inside a plastic container and it remained sticky for months LOL it wouldn't wash off, it took a good 6 months to dissapate.

Maybe spray a bit on the back of the board and try washing it off? then decide whether you want to go this route or not :D:D:D
Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P
Could you take some freezer paper and press the fabric to the wax side of it, then place it on your mat and use clips to hold it on your mat steady while cutting? Just trying to brainstorm with you.
I don't think I could press it to wax paper, as it will have fusible on the back, but I hadn't thought of clips!

Especially if I used a smaller cutting mat, I should be able to keep it well secured. I would have to move the fabric a million times - but, oh well! We quilters are used to a million steps, huh?

Hmm, this might work! Thanks. That is what I love about this board - so many great ideas, and everyone is so helpful.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

i would put plastic over the cuttng mat to protect it. If that wold work
Old 07-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandra-P
I Agree with this idea.

Last winter I got overspray on my dining room table and it would NOT come off. Finally used Goo Gone.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM

I actually have a mat that I use spray baste on. It is an old mat that had deep grooves on the right side of it .. so I flipped it , and use the back side. I spray the mat to hold some very long 45 degree cuts that I make ....and the piece has many many seams, and I need to get mutiple "slices" that are all true 45 degree cuts with out the fabric moving when I pick up or shift the ruler.
It works really well for holding it ... another thing I use is painters taper for securing the perimeter of some complicated cuts.
I have washed the mat occasionally in warm water with a bit of dish soap as over time it does get "spray build up" and will collect lots of bits of thread and lint.
Just to put a real twist in ... I sometimes like to cut regular projects on my "treated Mat" when it just a bit tacky ... it really is quite amazing how nice it is to work on fabric that does not shift . But notice I said a bit tacky... if there is to much it will transfer to the fabric.