Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could just bawl!!!  Please give suggestions! >

Could just bawl!!! Please give suggestions!

Could just bawl!!! Please give suggestions!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:32 PM

I don't know what I'd do without those borders.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by mommabear62 View Post
I could just bawl and tear my hair out. I have been working on a quilt for my 7 year old granddaughter. One block is entirely applique. Have never done this before and if I never do it again that will be too soon! Well anyway, I have put everything on the background and ironed everything on. Looks ok but really need lots of practice with this. I was to cut the block now to 12 1/2 inches. I made one cut and realized I should not have done this!! Now my block is way off center because of the way I made that one cut. Can I just take the applique's off and spray baste them onto another piece of background? I do not have enough material to cut everything out and start all over again and after the trouble I had I really wouldn't want to do this either. Can the applique pieces be saved!!!!
Can you make a sashing for this particular block and place it where it would make sense? Good luck, you will probably find many good ideas here on the board.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
Can you cut the block square to the largest measurement possible, then add sashing/borders to make it the size it needs to be to finish out your pattern? Or cut the background fabric as small as possible and applique it to a larger block of the correct size? If you can lift the pieces off, I see no reason why you couldn't replace them onto a new background block! Linda
I agree with all these suggestions!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:40 PM

You should be able to take your iron and reheat the applique. The pieces should then just lift off the fabric. You can then reply the applique. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
you could just cut around the design and put them onto a new back ground piece if that will work for you- or you could simply add a piece back onto the background you cut- maybe add some more appliques to disguise the add on- but really you probably wont even be able to tell the added piece when it is all done and quilted- it does not have to be perfect- it only needs to be done with love- so, don't bawl---just compromise and carry on- she will love it!
many of our errors just lead to new design features
if you choose to add back onto the area you cut off you could then (after centering/squaring) add a frame border all the way around to distract- but i bet it will be just fine...
I totally agree with this post. Carry on. ..and good luck!
Old 01-28-2012, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by mississippiqltr View Post
Cut block a smaller size square and border it would be my suggestion. It would be the easiest solution.
Take a break have a chocolate bar and something to drink, relax then go back to it.
Agree. Good luck. We all know how you feel.
Annie
Old 01-28-2012, 03:56 AM

Great ideas! I use wonderunder and have had to remove and reiron on, it wasn't so bad, just be careful and remove slowly. My BIL is a carpenter and he said to me years ago that there is no mistake that can't be fixed. Sometimes the fix is easy, sometime not so easy, but it will work out.

Last edited by bubble951; 01-28-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:06 AM

Take it to your local quilt shop and ask for their help and opinion. And remember, this isn't the end of the world. It could be a teaching lesson for you to give to your granddaughter about how there are many ways to handle a problem.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:06 AM

Love these suggestions~ we really do need one another sometimes. Good luck with your new creation.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:06 AM

If u can't reapplique it then I agree with Tartan. I would machine applique it .