Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could my ruler be to blame? >

Could my ruler be to blame?

Could my ruler be to blame?

Old 03-09-2017, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

After 15 years, a new ruler could be in order as they do wear away. Look into a Creative Grids one...I just started using a new one at work (LQS) and the non slip coating on the long edges are great...
Old 03-10-2017, 02:25 AM

Thank you everyone.
I examined my ruler and it's bowed!!!

So I ordered a new one!

Even though I haven't quilted much (due to many failed attempts) my 24in ruler has been invaluable in my dressmaking so it'll pay it's worth even if I never manage to quilt properly
Old 03-10-2017, 03:23 AM

You probably ate out the side and there is daylight showing in the "bowed" part. I've got a lot of the same trouble. Finally I started buying new rulers, still my 1/4 inch seams (scant???) are off. I combined Bonnie Hunter's and Eleanor Burns' advice into one axiom that I repeat to myself each time I cut something.

"Put the line on the fabric and give yourself another smidge". Bonnie says put the line on the fabric and Eleanor says to cut it a little bigger. So far I've got 115 4 patches for my En Provence. Yes, I've squared them up and there is a couple of threads that I cut off on some of them.

I changed machines too. I had a free arm Bernina that my neighbor says I was getting wonky on feeding the fabric. So I changed to a Janome flat bed which is 20 inches. I took it off a long arm Grace frame, but it won't fit in my wonderful cabinet. Cut out not big enough. So Yesterday!!! I ordered another cabinet just for that Janome. Now I'm really out of money. That En Provence had better come together!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:38 AM

@ EasyPeezy, I also have the slidelock rulers, love them even if they were a little pricey
Old 03-10-2017, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 View Post
@ EasyPeezy, I also have the slidelock rulers, love them even if they were a little pricey

I use the Slidelock for safety on top of all my long rulers. I use the cut resistant glove when I don't use the Slidelock. Have you seen the new Dragonskin ones from Slidelock?
Old 03-10-2017, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by mama3many View Post
Thank you everyone.
I examined my ruler and it's bowed!!!

So I ordered a new one!

Even though I haven't quilted much (due to many failed attempts) my 24in ruler has been invaluable in my dressmaking so it'll pay it's worth even if I never manage to quilt properly
I hope your new ruler brings you more satisfying results! When I was learning how to bind and experimenting with different binding methods (by making a boatload of potholders), I made a couple of striped potholders with deliberately wonky stripes. I figured having them off by a lot looked better than having them not-quite-straight. LOL

Maybe my signature should be, "If all else fails, pretend it was deliberate."
Old 03-10-2017, 06:22 AM

Good advice. If sticky dots are not available, glue sandpaper dots made by yourself onto the back of the ruler or put dots of rubber cement on the back of the ruler where it will not distract your view.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I could never cut all the way straight on a 24" ruler...the last few inches were
always crooked. Since I bought the Slidelock ruler I no longer have this
problem. There's also less strain on my wrist.
I forgot all about my Slidelock. Thanks. I want to cut 1 1/2" strips and this would be the perfect tool. I Googled the Slidelock and Earl and Sharon of (Quilters Slidelock)have a great tutorial for using this.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I could never cut all the way straight on a 24" ruler...the last few inches were
always crooked. Since I bought the Slidelock ruler I no longer have this
problem. There's also less strain on my wrist.
And here's another vote for the Slide Lock. It is a different way of measuring and cutting but I never have slipped fabric. http://www.quiltersslidelock.com/ You have to see it in action. Pricey, maybe but made a big different to me.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:14 AM

Welcome Mama! You'll find the best advice on QB and lots of encouragement too!

Definately get a new ruler. Love my new quilter's select and have no problems with fabric sliding, creative grid rulers are great too. Have heard great things about the slidelock but haven't actually tried it.