Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Couldn't respond >

Couldn't respond

Couldn't respond

Old 05-27-2021, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by tlynnc View Post
I don't trust USPS with my work. FedEx or UPS is better priced for both commiting to time, tracking, and insurance. I use a baseline if $300 insurance, but fir something that took me months (like full sized, hand pieced epp) I decide what financial gain would dull the pain of its demise... heaven forbid the day!
yep, if sending a pricey quilt, I always go with UPS or Fedex. Especially with the problems USPS had over the holidays.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:09 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by janiebakes View Post
Absolutely right. They will want recent receipts. If you used fabric from your stash, you are out of luck.
And you can't claim value for your time on handmade items (like quilts).

3.2 covers Proof of Value, 4.3 covers Nonpayable claims, of which the last item states personal time to make hobby, craft, or similar handmade items.

USPS Postal Regulation 609, article 3.2 Proof of Value
3.2 Proof of Value

Either the mailer or the addressee must submit acceptable proof to establish the cost or value of the article at the time it was mailed. Proof of value should be submitted electronically or attached to the claim form under 1.5; otherwise, the claim cannot be processed. Other proof may be requested to help determine an accurate value. Examples are:

a. A sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer.

b.Paid repair bills; if the claim is for partial damage, estimates of repair costs or appraisals from a reputable dealer. Repair costs may not exceed the original purchase price.

c. Receipt or invoice for the costs incurred to buy a surety bond required to reissue a lost item.

d. Receipt or invoice of costs incurred for the reconstruction of nonnegotiable documents.

e. A copy of a credit card statement or other documentation indicating the amount paid.

f. For Internet transactions conducted through a Web-based payment network that offers payment services through a stored value account, provide a computer printout of the online transaction identifying the purchaser and seller, price paid, date of transaction, description of item purchased, and assurance that the transaction status is completed. The printout must clearly identify the Web-based payment network provider through which the Internet transaction was conducted.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
And you can't claim value for your time on handmade items (like quilts).

3.2 covers Proof of Value, 4.3 covers Nonpayable claims, of which the last item states personal time to make hobby, craft, or similar handmade items.

USPS Postal Regulation 609, article 3.2 Proof of Value
3.2 Proof of Value

Either the mailer or the addressee must submit acceptable proof to establish the cost or value of the article at the time it was mailed. Proof of value should be submitted electronically or attached to the claim form under 1.5; otherwise, the claim cannot be processed. Other proof may be requested to help determine an accurate value. Examples are:

a. A sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer.

b.Paid repair bills; if the claim is for partial damage, estimates of repair costs or appraisals from a reputable dealer. Repair costs may not exceed the original purchase price.

c. Receipt or invoice for the costs incurred to buy a surety bond required to reissue a lost item.

d. Receipt or invoice of costs incurred for the reconstruction of nonnegotiable documents.

e. A copy of a credit card statement or other documentation indicating the amount paid.

f. For Internet transactions conducted through a Web-based payment network that offers payment services through a stored value account, provide a computer printout of the online transaction identifying the purchaser and seller, price paid, date of transaction, description of item purchased, and assurance that the transaction status is completed. The printout must clearly identify the Web-based payment network provider through which the Internet transaction was conducted.
I think I heard that you would need a recognized quilt appraiser to have placed a value on your quilt and have proof of that.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:08 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I think I heard that you would need a recognized quilt appraiser to have placed a value on your quilt and have proof of that.
Yes, that would be "a",
Old 05-27-2021, 09:20 AM

I usually take the free $50 insurance sending them out but depending on the quilt I insure it's return at up to $1000.