Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Couldn't respond >

Couldn't respond

Couldn't respond

Old 05-26-2021, 03:38 PM

Default Couldn't respond

I took 2 - 2 gallon zip lock bags that held a pieced full size quilt, fabric for back and binding fabric to the post office. I have known the post master for many years and I was going to mail it priority mail in the postal boxes to my cousin who quilts it with a long arm. He was nice and even packed the box for me. Then he said, "This comes with a $50.00 insurance, you won't need any more than that for this." I, who always have responses, just stood there taken back, and said, "OK."
So...do you insure your quilts that you are mailing? Thanks for your response.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:57 PM

I actually just mailed a finished quilt to my 89 year old Great Aunt today. The insurance coverage will never replace the time, effort and $$ put into the quilt, but yes I went with the free $50.00 insurance. I doubt that if the USPS actually lost it that I would get the $$ back, but I guess it made me feel a little hopeful.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:58 PM

I have sent quilts through the mail without insuring them but looking back, I should have. The materials alone are worth more than $50. I’m not sure how I would have responded to his statement.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:34 PM

I never reveal that it's a quilt, I call it a blanket. Take the insurance. If something happens it's better than nothing. I always track the shipment and call the recipient when it is due to arrive so they can keep an eye out. I've never had one disappear but I did have one delivered to the back door instead of the front door. I was grateful to the driver.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:38 PM

I just shipped a quilt to my niece for her high school graduation. I insured it for $300 which I figured would be enough incentive for me to re-make the quilt if something happened to it.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:46 PM
mkc

The problem with the insurance stated value is that if there were to be an issue, you'd better have receipts showing the actual value or amount paid for the contents.

Just because you insure something for, say, $200, the post office (or FedEx or UPS) is not going to automatically pay you that full amount if it's lost or damaged. You'll be required to provide proof of value.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
The problem with the insurance stated value is that if there were to be an issue, you'd better have receipts showing the actual value or amount paid for the contents.

Just because you insure something for, say, $200, the post office (or FedEx or UPS) is not going to automatically pay you that full amount if it's lost or damaged. You'll be required to provide proof of value.
Absolutely right. They will want recent receipts. If you used fabric from your stash, you are out of luck.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I don’t insure but call the box fabric scraps.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:33 PM

My husband sells and ship truck parts mostly thru USPS. He has had a couple boxes get lost. He says he doesn't have to show a receipt to prove that what was in the box was worth the $50 or $100 that he insured it for.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:17 PM

I don't trust USPS with my work. FedEx or UPS is better priced for both commiting to time, tracking, and insurance. I use a baseline if $300 insurance, but fir something that took me months (like full sized, hand pieced epp) I decide what financial gain would dull the pain of its demise... heaven forbid the day!