Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Country Quilts

quilt bugs i think your quilt looks country..is really pretty... :-D

For some reason when I hear 'country quilt' I think of log cabin quilts. Maybe it is the name.

But lots can be done with a log cabin quilt in the colors your dd wants.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Go to Connecting Threads and see the new line of fabric and the quilts they have made from all of it. If that doesn't get your juices flowing nothing will.

I made three quilts for the weddings of my two boys and the wedding of their best friend. My boys I did turning twenty and used for one a lot of Aisian themes (he was married in Thailand to a very nice girl of Chinese and Thailand heritge.
    My other son and his wife likes to fish and the outdoors so I bought many pieces with thoses themes. It was very country as it was almost patchwork.
    The third I did the garden wall using 7 1/2 by 4 inch blocks with a 4 by 4 inch block in every row.(looked like a brick wall) and again used a lot of the personalities of the two and had John Deere tractor, coffee, hiking, canoeing etc. They all had their personalities and all a little patch work which to me says country.

This is a beautiful quilt. I was also thinking of Jo- Morton and her fabrics. She has some beautiful and simplier designs

I agree thimbleberries has wonderful dark color fabrics and patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn
    I think of D9P or any quilt done with squares or strips. I wonder what a double wedding ring (traditional wedding quilt) done with a darker background and lighter ring pieces might look like.
    I was thinking double wedding ring as I was reading, my suggestion for the background would be an antique off white such as, tan, biege, ecru...
    and for the pieced the nice warm rich reds, rust, blues, hunter greens, golden yellows.

even a log cabin one side done with the off whites and the other the rch colors would be beautiful... <3 Keep us posted <3

QM
    Before you do anything else, make sure you are on the same page she is. There are hundreds of choices at various skill levels, such as schoolhouse or friendship star. You might go to www.quilterscache.com for ideas.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnya's Mom
    My daughter is getting married this summer. She has asked me to make a "country " quilt as a wedding gift. She wants darker colors - rusts, browns, blues, greens, etc. I need help with a pattern. What do you consider a "country" quilt?
    Buggy Barn has some cool patterns that are easy and fun to make. They also have their own fabric line that is very earth tones and darker colours, much like Kansas Troubles. With the Buggy Barn Patterns, you layer 5 fatquarters, cut out the pieces, shuffle the layers and sew. It is fast, and very unique as each block is totally different.

Blog Entries
    If it's in your comfort range, McCalls has one called Grma's Quilt....or some such.

My daughter is getting married this summer. She has asked me to make a "country " quilt as a wedding gift. She wants darker colors - rusts, browns, blues, greens, etc. I need help with a pattern. What do you consider a "country" quilt?

Perhaps a quilt with folk art things,or something like the Goose ,or the folksy hearts may please her. You can use a pattern from long ago as there are a lot of really good ones out there. Marvel

Blog Entries
    the nine patch is quick easy and there is so many variations of the nine patch you can't go wrong.

Blog Entries
    thats easy, a wedding ring quilt is beauitful for a wedding gift to her

I really enjoy Bonnie Hunter's way of quilting scrappy but nice looking quilts. They do remind me of county. Here is one link for her, LOTS of free quilt patterns and tuts on left of page. Maybe you will find something there? :) wish you luck. :)
    http://quiltville.com/cathedralstars.shtml

Beautiful quilt Theresa

Since it's a wedding gift, 'country' probably means a comfy cozy quilt that can be spread in whatever they call that part of a barn that stores hay, starting with the honeymoon night! Dark colors so the dirt won't be so noticable

Kansas Troubles fabrics by MODA seem country to me,and I would pick out a few patterns for her to chose from.

Blog Entries
    I agree. I would have her pick out the pattern. Everyones opinion of country is different.

Blog Entries
    When I think of country I think of Sampler quilts and the Churn Dash. Go with the "classic" blocks.

Also this collection says Country to me. http://www.connectingthreads.com/cff...d=121&show=all

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3