Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A couple of questions for those of you that own the Martelli rotary cutter

A couple of questions for those of you that own the Martelli rotary cutter

I just bought one from Amazon and got it today. I think I might have gotten a defective one. It feels very comfortable in my hand and I like that a lot. However, when it rolls I can feel it grinding and it seems like every 4 or 5 inches it does not cut through the fabric. I thought maybe the blade might have a flat spot but I took it out of the cutter and it looked OK. Also I tried loosening the bolt and that did not seem to help any.

If you own one can you please tell me if it is smooth when it rolls? And if it cuts through the fabric consistently without leaving any uncut spots. I'm trying to figure out if I should return it or exchange it.

Thanks!
    D.

Blog Entries
    Yes, mine is smooth.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Call Martelli, I had a problem with one of mine(I have 3) and they sent me a new one. Mne acted like it wasn't rolling.
    Toodie

Yes, give them a call. A friend of mine had the same problem and they sent her a new one that work's great.

My works great. I don't know how I ever used the straight ones. I am less then 5' tall and I am really tickled that I found mine. You could try a new blade before calling them. I would not tell them where you got it. Hope they make good on it. I really like their cutting mat too.

Blog Entries
    My first blade in my 60mm had bad spots and didn't roll smoothly-not right away but after about 3 or 4 cuts. I swapped out the blade and now it seems to be working fine. The blades are pretty expensive to be going bad so quickly.

Blog Entries
    martelli are famous for their excellent customer service.
    if you have any problems with any of their products - including blades - i recommend you contact them.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

This may sound dumb but is the shield fully retracted?

I also have gotten a bad blade and had no problems getting it replaced at no charge.

Interesting. I have one of these cutters – have had it a few years now – and I love it. However, in the past month, it's been acting just as you described. Maybe I should contact the company as well. I miss having it work well.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Blog Entries
    I honestly have had to contact them so many times I didn't bother for the blade. Frankly I was tired of calling. But because of a different messup I got a blade for half price, at least (plus shipping so it still cost plenty).

Have you checked out their website. They have an informational video that might help you. Do don't use the Martelli like you use the other cutters.

Definitely watch the video if you haven't already.

I bought the giant monster mat, a rotary cutter, and two guides during the Red Line sale before Thanksgiving.

I love it all and the rotary cutter cuts through fabric like butter. You definitely need to contact them if watching the video doesn't solve the problem with your cutter.
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

I have this cutter and recently it is giving me the same kind of problem.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    When I changed the blade on mine, I noticed that fuzz gets up inside where the blade goes. There doesn't seem to be a way to clean it out, other than shoving the blade in and using that to push the fuzz out.

Use a fine pin. I use a glass head quilting pin.

I found a little set of brushes used for cleaning small areas or machines (set of 5) at Amazon for under $2 that fit anywhere for cleaning my fine sewing areas:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tattoo-Machine...achine+brushes

Possibly places like Harbor Freight might have them, too. Don't let the Tatoo Machine description throw ya! :-) The set is under $2, free shipping, but it takes a few days to get them. Just an idea. They help a lot in small, hard-to-reach areas.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Is this one of the ones that runs on a track on the new rulers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marysewfun View Post
    I found a little set of brushes used for cleaning small areas or machines (set of 5) at Amazon for under $2 that fit anywhere for cleaning my fine sewing areas:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tattoo-Machine...achine+brushes

Possibly places like Harbor Freight might have them, too. Don't let the Tatoo Machine description throw ya! :-) The set is under $2, free shipping, but it takes a few days to get them. Just an idea. They help a lot in small, hard-to-reach areas.

Marysewfun
    I bought two inexpensive sets of brushes ( one stiff, one slightly softer) for cleaning my machine nooks and crannies, and the one that works best I dipped in sewing machine oil and dabbed it off on a paper towel to pick up fuzz in the bobbin area. Works great. I use a mustache comb to pull the fuzz out of the bristles.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I love mine, I had it for years, when it skips it usually means the blade needs sharpening or changing.

Here's a Youtube video showing how to properly use the Martelli rotary cutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWcs2MEDPD0

Blog Entries
    A pin might work but a brush won't do anything for cleaning it out. There is literally only enough room for a blade, and it's a tight fit. You might fit a hair or two from a brush in there but I don't think it would get the fuzz out.

The cutter does come apart for cleaning. Remove the screw and blade. Then slide the plastic blade cover off.

I've used a Martelli rotary cutter for many years. In the first year, the spring broke. I brought the cutter back to the quilt shop I'd bought it from. They contacted the company and I got a brand new cutter, no questions asked. It's been working perfectly since then - many years.

NEW blade in mine and it cuts through like butter.
    Syl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast