Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Martelli rotary cutter questions >

Martelli rotary cutter questions

Martelli rotary cutter questions

Old 03-31-2018, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Question Martelli rotary cutter questions

I went to the doctor a few years ago and learned that the thumb joint in my right hand needs to be babied if I want to avoid surgery. For the most part, I have been able to do that. However, recently I have noticed that cutting with my regular 60mm Olfa is causing some aching at the base of my thumb that persists for a day or two. So, I am looking at the Martelli.

Years ago I purchased the 45mm Martelli and might have gotten used to using it. However, I realized pretty quickly that it did not work well in my June Tailor strip cutting mats, which I use often. So that cutter got forgotten and is lying in a drawer somewhere in the house, waiting to become a vintage collectible.

I know that Martelli has changed their cutters since that experience. This video shows the differences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ACuhS53ko

I do almost all of my cutting with a 60mm cutter because I just find that size easier to use than a 45mm. That's why I am thinking of getting the 60mm Martelli. I figure the blade casing will sit high enough so that I will be able to use my June Tailor cutting mats with it.

The price for the 60mm is pretty good on Amazon. Some of the reviews complain about the blade, but others say that replacing the blade that comes with the cutter eliminates that problem.

Anyone have comments before I make the plunge? I am not looking forward to changing my cutting habits, but looking closely at the videos and experimenting with my thumb and hand positions, I do think the Martelli would relieve pressure on my base thumb joint.

Edit: p.s. How do you like the safety shield mechanism? One video showed the Martelli guy opening and closing it by running the cutter over the mat in a certain way. Is this easy to learn and do? Otherwise I noticed a complaint that it is awkward to open and close the shield because you need to use the opposite hand to do that.

Last edited by Prism99; 03-31-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:57 PM

I love my Martelli cutter; I could no longer use my Olfa because of the pressure it requires from the first finger. I found the youtube videos very helpful, showing how to clean and explaining the proper dynamic of cutting.

I have accidentally opened my cutter a couple of times by running it over the mat having forgotten it was closed. I prefer to do it with my finger, but you don't have to use the other hand, it is easy to put the shield back with the first finger of the holding hand.

I've never tried the 60mm, as the 45 works fine for me. I have found the blades to be nice and sharp. My cutter developed a glitch after about three months, so I sent it to them with a note, and received it back promptly with two replacement bolts and an explanation that my bolt had developed a groove because I was pressing too hard. It's back to working great with the replacement bolt.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

I know this is not an answer to the question you're asking, but I hope it's okay if I chime in. I had carpal tunnel surgery in 2001 in both hands (about 6 weeks apart). My thumbs had just started to ache at the base, and my hands frequently got tingly and/or numb at night. I didn't have the intense pain that many people associate with carpal tunnel syndrome. I was told at the time that the longer I put off having surgery, the more nerve damage I was likely to sustain. I don't know if that is your situation, but it's something to ask the doctor. There are also exercises that really help with carpal tunnel symptoms. I might have tried those before surgery if I had known about them, but I have never regretted having the surgery.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:40 PM

I love my Martelli cutter. I think it is the 45. I have very small hands and I find it really fits my hand. Sometimes the pressure I needed to do on the other cutters was a pain in my whole arm. I will admit, I do not have the proper table height either. A few months ago I was in a class and needed to replace my blade in my Martelli and the man that helped me turned the screw the wrong way. So when I tried it, it locks up. Martelli told me to send it in and they will replace it for $12.50 so I have my box ready to go. I miss that thing so much and I had to finish a quilt so had to revert back to the other kind. I would recommend it highly but be sure to mark which way the screw is to be taken off.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:52 PM

I've not gotten used to mine and find I wander too much cutting with a ruler.

However I love it for using with my Stripology ruler. It's got more exposed blade so I can cut through more layers than with my other cutters (all 45). I also have a June Tailer ruler, but it's not as thick and sturdy as the stripology ruler, so that may make a difference using the Martelli cutter.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:07 PM

I love my Martelli cutters. You do NOT have to use the opposite hand to open or close. It doesn't take very long to learn to do it with one hand.
I say go for it!
Old 03-31-2018, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, dunster. The specific problem I have right now is not carpal tunnel syndrome, but rather deterioration of the basal thumb joint due to arthritis. The surgery to correct the joint is very different than surgery for carpal tunnel and, as far as I can tell, much more radical because it involves reconstructing the joint, replacing the joint, or shaving the bone ends and inserting a ball. That is the surgery I am hoping to avoid.

Thanks for all the comments about the Martelli cutter. I'm especially relieved to know it works well with the Stripology mat.

On a different note, does anyone know how to get on Martelli's email list for sales notification? The only link I found for that does not work.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

So sorry the problem is more severe. I did have a big toe joint replaced due to arthritis, and that was an easy surgery for me, but I don't know how it compares to replacing a thumb joint. Thumbs are much more complicated than big toes.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:45 AM

Prism99
Here is the link for Martelli's website. When the page first loads up, there is a popup box that asks if you want to subscribe. If there is no popup box, go to the bottom of the page and there is a link to sign up for their newletter.
I will also add that I love my Martelli cutter. It took some getting used to (think retrain of brain) but it is worth it.
Good luck with your thumb problem. Arthritis in the finger joints can really alter some activities.
Murphy
https://martellinotions.com/
Old 04-01-2018, 04:51 AM
Administrator

when carpal tunnel was the "chic disease" and it seemed everybody at work "had it" to some degree, i taught myself to mouse with my left hand instead of my right. that one simple step seems to have prevented the CT - more so than any of the so-called ergonomic devices on the market.

because of that i also taught myself to cut with both hands.
practiced on scraps.
so i rarely get any discomfort from cutting marathons.

martelli makes distinctly different cutters for left and right hand use.
try getting one of each in the size you will use most.
it might help.