Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Craft show displays

I like this 'garment rack' www.collectionsets.com item # 115-36-21029 I use it and like how easy it sets up & folds up...they also have 'doubles' ,( but I'm not sure where I saw those.) google them!

I attended a flea market in Knoxville and purchased some flowers. the man put them in a plastic pag and gave them to me with a large (about three inches long) "S" hook. one end went through the bag loop and the other you placed on your wrist to carry the bag "hands free" If you could find these it would be nice to use for hanging just about anywhere, even on tables.

Patty Purple, my daughter and I have been shooting around ideas for ways to display things at craft festivals too.

For your purse displays, this might be an idea you'd like:
    Go to a selvage yard and purchase four inexpensive and visually interesting old doors. Wooden screen doors would be gorgeous, but probably more expensive than indoor doors. Using hinges, connect the doors to each other in pairs. Two pairs, angled in two "L"s, back to back would make a free standing "X", from which you could hang your purses on all sides. Or you could arrange the doors in a zig zag panel, but be careful that they can't be knocked over easily.
    For the hangers/hooks to hold your bags, you have a lot of options. You could hang your purses off of homemade hooks made from old metal hangers bent into curlicues and swirls. These can be attached to the doors with wood screws. Or you could even install interesting old cabinet knobs across the surfaces of the doors. Or mix and match. With these ideas, you would have "green" as in recycled/re-used, purse displays.

Ha! I just realized I wrote “selvage yard” instead of “salvage yard” LOL

You probably don't live too far from me, which got me wondering...what craft shows do you exhibit in? We just missed going to that huge The Letchworth Arts & Crafts Show because it snuck up and passed before we realized it. Anyway, it would be fun to keep an eye out for Pattypurple's Purses at a show someday!

I would love to see photos of some of these ideas. My DD takes my raggy items when she does her Open House for Avon/Tupperware. I really need a totebag display. It has to be inexpensive, though.

I'm going to my first show soon. I embroidered a bunch of euro pillow shams. I'm taking my wire cube racks. You know, the ones that are wire squares and you build them into cubes with plastic corner connectors.

The shams can store inside the cubes and hang over the front of 4 cubes. Then I just lift the flap and there's my stock! Overstock and bags go in bottom cubes.

Woodlandmarketing.com has great displays also storesupplywholesale.com
    These are the places I use to use when I needed displays when I traveled and did shows.

Quote Originally Posted by pattypurple
    "Oh one more tip .. for the tote bags .. I use balloons for a filler in the bag."

I do something similar. I got some 2 gal Ziploc bags and I blow them up with a straw and insert into the purses. That way I can use them over and over.

Thanks for more ideas. If I ever get it "right" I'll post some pictures.
    Me too!

How much do you sell your purses and totes for? I know it will vary, but what to what for instance.
    Thanks

go to www.quiltfrog.com and look up quilt stand. Carrie has made a quilt stand that can be broken down for transport if you don't glue it. It should do the trick for your purses too.

I made a bi-fold lattice one , when I did shows I cut 1x2 sq(no angles) to fit the lattice. I screwed them together using metal corner angles & stapled the lattice on, added 3 sets of hinges. Was good to go !

[quote=Lori S]I recently purchased two wire grid walls for my booth , they made a HUGE differnence ...

Lori, where did you buy your grid walls?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellageo
    I like this 'garment rack' www.collectionsets.com item # 115-36-21029 I use it and like how easy it sets up & folds up...they also have 'doubles' ,( but I'm not sure where I saw those.) google them!
    I actually have that rack that I bought at Joann's. That is what I used last weekend, but the purses only showed from the side for most of them. I do like how it folds up

Quote Originally Posted by KathyPhillips
    How much do you sell your purses and totes for? I know it will vary, but what to what for instance.
    Thanks
    Most of mine are in the $20-35 range. More if they have zippers. I usually cover costs and work for about $1/hr. I really enjoy making the bags and can't justify having so many for my own use, so I sell some.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiat
    go to www.quiltfrog.com and look up quilt stand. Carrie has made a quilt stand that can be broken down for transport if you don't glue it. It should do the trick for your purses too.
    thanks, that look interesting

the lattice could be a great way to showcase your crafts. Contact a local senior center to see if anyone there could build your displays for you. Also most hardware store, wood working clubs, etc., might be the answer for you. Your library may have names available for you.

My DH built a lattice wall for me but it was very heavy and required two people to set up. I would think plastic would make it much lighter (mine was wood) He used 2 x 4 and hinges and then made removable stands for it to sit in. It was very cumbersome but did an excellent job. I used S hooks to hang from the lattice and that little drying rack thingy, not sure where I picked it up, but I pounded nails in it to hang the art work from.

Lattice is in the back with quilts hanging on it
    Name:  Attachment-273083.jpe
Views: 642
Size:  79.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    How about a pole with small dowels inserted at an upward angle, similar to a thread holder, but not that many, and 2x4's (or something similar) on the bottom to make it stand up. Then hang the purses from that. You could have several, if needed.
    I've seen that used at craft shows and also coat racks were used.

more than one way to display, add a coat rack, or mug tree extending the length by raising on a box. I am using a collapsible bookcase type item, it gives me shelves and sides to hang from.
    I bought a folding screen (lattace) years ago, cover one side with fabric.
    good luck

Blog Entries
    Why not use the framework of your canopy? You could hang them the same as always.

Blog Entries
    The plastic lattice does not stand up well. It has a tendancy to bow. I tried it and not happy with it. Also to keep your purses standing up, put a small can ( mushroom can is good or a can of soup) goods in the bottom. Take out when you sell. They stand up just beautiful. You could put steps on your table , covered with a cloth. You can get a lot of purses on a 6 or 8 ft. table if you have them staggered at different heigths. Hope this helps. I also do craft shows.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    You might like some of the wooden shelving here:
    http://www.storesupply.com/c-598-wood-displays.aspx

When I did craft shows, I started out with some very homemade looking display racks. After a few years, I invested in wood racks just like these, and you know what? Since I had a professional looking display, I found that sales went up and fewer shoppers complained about prices.

So if you do a lot of shows... invest in a nice setup. It will pay for itself, plus you get the pleasure of having a good-looking booth. :thumbup:

Be sure to look at the rotating display. It makes excellent use of a small amount of floor space! It also attracts shoppers. They are curious to know what just disappeared around back, when somebody else turned the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by busygranny
    The plastic lattice does not stand up well. It has a tendancy to bow. I tried it and not happy with it. Also to keep your purses standing up, put a small can ( mushroom can is good or a can of soup) goods in the bottom. Take out when you sell. They stand up just beautiful. You could put steps on your table , covered with a cloth. You can get a lot of purses on a 6 or 8 ft. table if you have them staggered at different heigths. Hope this helps. I also do craft shows.
    Thanks for the heads up on the plastic lattice.
    I've been using 1# bags of dried beans for weights. I put them in a zip bag to be sure of no broken bags. After shows are over I can cook them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr
    when I did craft shows in the past with a friend we had peg board with hinges, then we could hang exactly where we wanted to and it was light weight.
    This is what we did also. It worked great

Blog Entries
    I usse a coat rack, the kind that has hooks at the top . Found a wooden one at a yard sale for $2. You can hang several, it is tall so people can see them & takes little room.
    Sandy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast