Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Craftsy BOM

ok so i watched the video for the 3rd time lol i will go 1/4 past my dots
    off to make it wish me luck
    post picture later
    loved seeing everyones block
    Gale

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    Ann, you do need to sign up for the class but it's free.
    It is free to sign up, but then you have to pay to see the videos. I started watching the first one, and it cut off just when she got to the important part. I kinda felt like it was false advertising. Not interested in paying to watch something on my own computer.

Blog Entries
    I have finished jan and feb. Didn't have trouble with Feb at all. I haven't seen March yet, hope to get to it next week. Maybe we should start a topic thread.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

FLQ
    I found the first and second block links but I have signed up and I think they are not available unless you sign into the BOM web area. I believe the sign up is still available.

This class is free! You need to sign up for this class. I haven't paid anything for it. You can watch the videos, participate in the class discussions all for free just as if you had paid. It's their other classes that you have to pay for.
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
    It is free to sign up, but then you have to pay to see the videos. I started watching the first one, and it cut off just when she got to the important part. I kinda felt like it was false advertising. Not interested in paying to watch something on my own computer.
    Last edited by GrandmaSewNSew; 03-03-2012 at 06:40 AM.

I signed up for it and it looks like fun. I haven't made my blocks yet but I think this would be a fun project.

Gale,
    I found these tutorials that may help. The first one has music.
    http://alamodefabric.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html
    http://quilt-it.blogspot.com/2009/01...spiderweb.html

Quote Originally Posted by grma33 View Post
    i have them all done in xmas except last
    will post a pictuer later i did a very scant 1/4 on the march 1st one as i found the foundation shrunk a little after sewing the strips
    i`m very confused about starting the sec one as you`ve all said in your thread about 1/4 and 1/2 are you talking about seaming?
    when you draw your line from the 1/4 up from the bottom middle and draw your line to the 7 inch do you move your ruler a 1/4 inch?clear as mud for me hope someone can answer
    i too love this bom as learning new things
    Thanks Gale

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
    This class is free! You need to sign up for this class. I haven't paid anything for it. You can watch the videos, participate in the class discussions all for free just as if you had paid. It's their other classes that you have to pay for.
    Thanks for that info, but I couldn't seem to get the classes to run the full length. I tried several times and finally gave up. I saw that the others you had to pay for, so I deleted the site.

Quote Originally Posted by scrapngmom View Post
    I have watched the videos but haven't started on my blocks. I hope do start "one of these days." LOL
    Me too! Plan to get started soon

Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar

Smile Jan/Feb Craftsy BOM

Haven't got around to March yet! Fun and easy to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapngmom View Post
    I have watched the videos but haven't started on my blocks. I hope do start "one of these days." LOL
    What she said!! Lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Damsel in DisDress View Post
    Haven't got around to March yet! Fun and easy to do.
    oooohhh so purdy!!!!! i luv your colorways damsel.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 03-03-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    nice pics everyone. i feel so inspired now i just gotta pick some fabrics. i wanted to use up some of the fabrics i have in my stash instead of buying more fabrics. hmmmm. i gotta see if a can accomplish this.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)

Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    oooohhh so purdy!!!!! i luv your colorways damsel.
    Thank !you so much

Blog Entries
    Ok. Now I'm confused. I have done the January blocks and they went together nicely, except for a little puckering. Are you all saying the Feb. and March blocks need to be pieced with scant 1/4" seams on all the seams? Also, please refresh my memory on what a scant 1/4" seam is. Thanks.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Ok. Now I'm confused. I have done the January blocks and they went together nicely, except for a little puckering. Are you all saying the Feb. and March blocks need to be pieced with scant 1/4" seams on all the seams? Also, please refresh my memory on what a scant 1/4" seam is. Thanks.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JudeWill View Post
    here are a few guides to help you. i hope one of these helps. my understanding of scant 1/4" is just on the other side of the 1/4" mark and i think that is the same thing that the jinny beyer tute is saying. good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSCBzwJ1lB4

http://quilting.about.com/od/machine..._allowance.htm

http://www.scrapquilts.com/accurate_seams.html

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/jinnys-cor...5ABFE737BAF506
    My Quiltboard Blog

If I remember right, there was a time limit that you could sign up for free. After that you have to pay for the class.

The only thing I can think of is that your computer may need a clean out. I do mine weekly using (the free) ccleaner, then I do a search for "prefetch" and delete all of those items, run the usual control panel's disk cleanup, then reboot.
    Thanks for that info, but I couldn't seem to get the classes to run the full length. I tried several times and finally gave up. I saw that the others you had to pay for, so I deleted the site.

I didn't find the site until February and saw that a lot of people complained that their blocks for February were too small. Others suggested that they needed to use a scant 1/4 inch (meaning not exactly 1/4 inch but a few threads short of that). For another block of the month that I'm doing I found that if I sewed the seams at exactly 1/4 inch they came out too small too. So when I made the February blocks, I used the scant 1/4 inch seam and mine came out to 12.5 as they should have.
    I think each month I'll wait until I read what others have to say before jumping into the blocks in case there is a problem. Also, I'm not sure I'll do this month's yet as I may want to wait for more scraps.
    It is a lot of fun and amazing to see how different the blocks look with different fabrics!!

This is the tutorial I'm using. So far so good.

Blog Entries
    No you don't pay. it's entirely free. So no false ad....ing here.

i may do a catch up in a few months
    always give back and forward

Judy,
    I replied to you but somehow it didn't post...
    I joined the group in February and read through some of the comments and found that some complained that their February blocks were too small. Those who said they used the scant 1/4 inch (a thread or two smaller than 1/4 inch) had no problems. So when I made my blocks I used a scant 1/4 inch (maybe 1/32 smaller) and they came out fine. I had this problem with another BOM that I belong to. When I made the seams exactly 1/4 inch, by the time the block was finished the block was too small too.
    I'm going to wait each month to see how things go before doing the block even thought they're nice and it's difficult to wait. I'm not sure that I'll do this month's block yet as I'd rather see what scraps I have from the other blocks. It seems that this should have been one of the last blocks made.

I like your blue | yellow theme. I tried to follow colors in the family she used. But those are not my colors. I thought I needed to learn about color choices.

Quote Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
    Here are my blocks...the string ones are the March blocks... I do recomend that you use a scant 1/4" seam when joining the units and a consistant 1/4" in the unit construction. You may gues I am using a blue/yellow theme...
    Hope you have a super weekend.

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Carol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast