Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Craftsy BOM

I've done the first 2 months. Haven't looked at March yet. They are fun. As the others said you have to be careful about the seam allowance. I had to do one of the blocks twice because it actually ended up too big.

I am doing the BOM and am really enjoying it. Very glad I signed up. I had some problems with one of the February blocks but it finally turned out. I haven't made the March blocks yet. My color scheme is lime green, white, and black. I really enjoyed looking at everyone's photos.

Blog Entries

Just finished Pictorial Quilting Class through Craftsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by sassyg View Post
    Have you seen craftsy BOM..it's so cool.
    Just finished taking the Pictorial Quilting Techniques Class by Wendy Butler Burns. I enjoyed the class very much and recommend it to anyone interested in turning a photo into a quilt. Has anyone taking Machine Quilting by Wendy Butler Burns or Beyond Basic Machine Quilting by Ann Peterson? Would appreciate your feedback if you have taken either of these classes through Craftsy.
    Marlene

I'm doing them and have not had to pay anything for this class. Maybe you accidentally clicked onto another class?

Blog Entries
    in quilting it's very rare to have other than a 1/4" seam, except a scant 1/4".
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased several Craftsy classes and am doing the free class with Amy as well but have not done the March BOM yet. I have not had time to do any of the paid classes other than the paper piecing and I made a twin quilt top with the first pattern that the insructor taught...I thoroughly enjoyed it! And can't wait to do more.....taxes are interfering with my quilting time!!! As a brand new quilter I am getting a lot of UFO's as I just want to do them all!
    "Seeking God's guidance is the key to success... even in daily living when we learn to LISTEN!"

just finised my march blocks
    Gale
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by memah24 View Post
    If I remember right, there was a time limit that you could sign up for free. After that you have to pay for the class.
    I was just up on the site and it says that you can invite your friends to sign up any time of the year and they can have access to all of the classes including the ones they need to catch up on. This statement is listed under the supplies and resourse section. If anyone is having problems then they need to contact the Craftsy people to help figure it out because there is no time limit to it. Good luck
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    here are a few guides to help you. i hope one of these helps. my understanding of scant 1/4" is just on the other side of the 1/4" mark and i think that is the same thing that the jinny beyer tute is saying. good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSCBzwJ1lB4

http://quilting.about.com/od/machine..._allowance.htm

http://www.scrapquilts.com/accurate_seams.html

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/jinnys-cor...5ABFE737BAF506
    Thanks so much! I will check those out!
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
    Judy,
    I replied to you but somehow it didn't post...
    I joined the group in February and read through some of the comments and found that some complained that their February blocks were too small. Those who said they used the scant 1/4 inch (a thread or two smaller than 1/4 inch) had no problems. So when I made my blocks I used a scant 1/4 inch (maybe 1/32 smaller) and they came out fine. I had this problem with another BOM that I belong to. When I made the seams exactly 1/4 inch, by the time the block was finished the block was too small too.
    I'm going to wait each month to see how things go before doing the block even thought they're nice and it's difficult to wait. I'm not sure that I'll do this month's block yet as I'd rather see what scraps I have from the other blocks. It seems that this should have been one of the last blocks made.
    Thanks. I think that is a good idea--to wait til a few have done theirs. I hope to get to Feb. next week, and I will try it with the scant 1/4" seam and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help, everyone!
    Judy

Here are my March blocks. I used bright colors, because in March, I am always VERY anxious for spring, and the spring flowers popping up.
    Name:  DSC02287.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  133.9 KB

Not really crazy about January's BOM but like February and March's BOM's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 40MPHK9 View Post
    Here are my March blocks. I used bright colors, because in March, I am always VERY anxious for spring, and the spring flowers popping up.
    nice colorful blocks. are all of your blocks following the same colorway?
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

I am loving these classes as I am still fairly new to quilting and I am learning so many new techniques. The fabric I am using is left over from a couple of table topper classes I took as a beginning quilter. Hopefully I will attach a picture of the Jan-Mar blocks I have made.

Quote Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
    Not really crazy about January's BOM but like February and March's BOM's
    No, not in the least. I am beginning to regret this, however, I am using scraps/stash, so it will be what it will be.

I've been doing two of each block each month so I can make my finished quilt a queen size or larger. I like all of the blocks individually, but somehow, when I put the all together for a photo I don't like them so much. Hoping that the sashing and future blocks do something to pull it all together.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpie2 View Post
    I've been doing two of each block each month so I can make my finished quilt a queen size or larger. I like all of the blocks individually, but somehow, when I put the all together for a photo I don't like them so much. Hoping that the sashing and future blocks do something to pull it all together.
    Your blocks are beauiful colors. I think the sashing will pull it all together and make it a wonderful quilt!!!
    Sadiemae

Craftsy BOM

I have finished all my blocks....really like the March scrappy blocks...So far I haven't had any trouble...This is really a nice BOM., since it mainly for new quilters (me)...Each month she teached at least one new techique....I'll try and post my blocks in a few days...I have used a kinda' scarlet red fabric as my background with different black & whites for the other fabrics...

Has taught*

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3