Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craftsy class >

Craftsy class

Craftsy class

Old 01-11-2014, 05:33 AM

Yup, agree w/all the above. I have several paid classes waiting for me and I've taken the BOM for 2012,13 and now 14. I always wait for a sale...never pay full price way to expensive most being 39.99...My limit is 14.99
Old 01-11-2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
I just signed up for this class because I have absolutely no sense when it comes to choosing colors for my quilt projects. I didn't purchase the kit because I have a stash that's way too big and need to learn to use it. What is the sense of buying fabric in colors that already go together if they're supposed to be teaching you how to do it?
I am feeling like such a dumb belle ;o) this morning. I can't find the place to sign in. There was one place that highlighted sign up but some sort of pop up came instead with a survey to fill. I don't do those things (and this was about education loans!). I've already signed into Craftsy 2012 and 2013. I am feeling very disabled this morning.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
I just signed up for this class because I have absolutely no sense when it comes to choosing colors for my quilt projects. I didn't purchase the kit because I have a stash that's way too big and need to learn to use it. What is the sense of buying fabric in colors that already go together if they're supposed to be teaching you how to do it?
Me too! Plus the fabric in the kit ends up costing much more than I can buy locally. I have signed up for the class since I too need to learn more about colour, but I have to say I'm not too keen on the quilt in the background. It seems way too busy and irratic for my tastes.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I am feeling like such a dumb belle ;o) this morning. I can't find the place to sign in. There was one place that highlighted sign up but some sort of pop up came instead with a survey to fill. I don't do those things (and this was about education loans!). I've already signed into Craftsy 2012 and 2013. I am feeling very disabled this morning.
Please don't feel that way. I followed an e-mail link that took me right to the sign-in page. But if you will go to Craftsy and type in "Block of the Month 2014", the link will come up--it was the first to come up when I searched.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM

I agree. I signed up for the 2014 BOM and I agree the quilt they have is very busy. I don't like the looks of it. I am hoping to pick up a tip or two on the quilting.
Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Me too! Plus the fabric in the kit ends up costing much more than I can buy locally. I have signed up for the class since I too need to learn more about colour, but I have to say I'm not too keen on the quilt in the background. It seems way too busy and irratic for my tastes.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:33 AM

I think the featured quilt is way too busy and I agree that purchasing pre-selected fabrics kind of defeats the purpose of a color theory class.

The explanations on color are fine but I think the construction portion is very poorly presented.

I'm enrolled in a number of Craftsy classes and have found them to be excellent but, so far, I'm very disappointed in this one.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:34 AM

I have done the other BOM and many classes. Used my own stash in many. If the fabric was really calling me then I used their kit. Can color and values to suit you. There are no rukes except enjoy and have fun! As far as guilt in sewing verses study- un in the same boat. However for me sewing is my "therapy" and found I concentrated better better papers and was less stressed when I incorporated sewing in my schedule. Find what works for you.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:15 AM

Thanks everyone for your input! I did think it was defeating the 'figuring out color' purpose if I bought their fabrics! I recently moved and I miss my old LQS - the owner could put colors together like nobody's business and she 'got' me and my color tastes.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:06 AM

I have taken many Craftsy classes and never purchased any of the kits. I usually go to my stash and if I need more I can fill in by buying only the fabric I need. It is much cheaper and besides that you can get rid of stash and that is always a plus as far as I am concerned.
And I have gone back to classes I signed up for a couple of months later and if there is a problem (which there was once), you can contact them and they will immediately fix whatever the problem was. So, yes, you can take the course for a long time.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 AM

I enjoy Craftsy classes very much. I purchase classes only when on sale; haven't purchased fabric/supplies and don't anticipate doing so. They offer a 30-day refund for classes if you're not satisfied for any reason and IMHO their customer service is excellent.
In my case, purchasing their fabric kit would defeat the purpose of the BOM although some quilters will no doubt find it helpful.