Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
craigslist singer sewing machines >

craigslist singer sewing machines

craigslist singer sewing machines

Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 AM

Hi, I am a newbie and just starting to learn about vintage machines. Today i decided to search the local cl and see what was out there. Any info/opinions on these postings would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 1. 1940's singer.runs, table model with original stool $50 2. Antigue singer sewer with table everything works.$180 or bo. 3. 1909 D108612 mfg. 1908-1909 with cabinet $75 ...I am just learning as I said..should i write back and ask for serial numbers, model numbers...any advise would be greatly appreciated..thanks, again
Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 AM

Well, you need to know what you want. Singer 66, 99, 15-91, 201, 221 Featherweight and 301 are straight stitich. 401, 501 rocketeer have build in stitches, Singer 237 has zig zag and this is not a complete list of old Singers out there..I stay away from Touch and Sew (Touch and throw) due to plastic gears but your milage may vary.

So I decide what I want (I have all of the above except 221) and then take thread and bobbin and scrap and make it sew. I can fix tension issues and I can clean and oil myself so there is no take to service man. If it don't sew, don't go. That happened to a FW I looked at once.

You always take a risk. I rarely have been bitten on Singers. I love the old stuff. I quilt, piece and machine quilt and fmq. Read more about it? Yahoo has a vintage singers group that is VERY extensive in its files, so read before you ???. Oh and try to pay $50 or less, these machines were mass produced. I have paid more but never more than $100 (FW excluded). The bit about straight stitch machines worth a mint is only in the eye of the beholder. CL sellers should keep their overpriced, stuck, filthy, beat up, abused singers. For the right price and the right machine, I will do spa treatment. Good luck....
Old 08-30-2011, 08:14 AM

My sister found an antique singer with cabinet at a yard sale for me. I don't know how much she paid, but it couldn't have been more than $20 or $30--she doesn't have a lot of money to burn! Look around, hit the estate sales and garage sales and the right machine will turn up. :)
Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Serial numbers are not needed, you knowing how to id machines based on pictures is needed. Model #s aren't always on the machine. These machines are worth owning because they sew so nicely and were so well engineered, a much better option than a plastic Walmart model. Again, my opinion.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 AM

I would want more information. You can find out the model # if you have serial #'s from the Singer web-site. I would base what I would pay on location, model #, shape of the machine/cabinet, if all parts are there etc.

You will learn to identify machines and decide what you like and don't like only by jumping in and doing it. What I enjoy most is the challenge of getting an old beat up dirty machine to work - doesn't matter what the model is.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

If you post links to the actual ads, people can give you better advice based on the photos.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:39 AM

Thanks, i'll try..not all of them included pix but i will try and post the ads.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 AM

I have found several on CL also and found out they are negotiable. Check around and do your research. You will receive some good advise from this board.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by pebbles
Well, you need to know what you want. Singer 66, 99, 15-91, 201, 221 Featherweight and 301 are straight stitich. 401, 501 rocketeer have build in stitches, Singer 237 has zig zag and this is not a complete list of old Singers out there..I stay away from Touch and Sew (Touch and throw) due to plastic gears but your milage may vary.

So I decide what I want (I have all of the above except 221) and then take thread and bobbin and scrap and make it sew. I can fix tension issues and I can clean and oil myself so there is no take to service man. If it don't sew, don't go. That happened to a FW I looked at once.

You always take a risk. I rarely have been bitten on Singers. I love the old stuff. I quilt, piece and machine quilt and fmq. Read more about it? Yahoo has a vintage singers group that is VERY extensive in its files, so read before you ???. Oh and try to pay $50 or less, these machines were mass produced. I have paid more but never more than $100 (FW excluded). The bit about straight stitch machines worth a mint is only in the eye of the beholder. CL sellers should keep their overpriced, stuck, filthy, beat up, abused singers. For the right price and the right machine, I will do spa treatment. Good luck....

I agree, I have my MIL's Touch and Sew. Stay away from them. The sewing machine repairman said he has never seen very many of these that last very long. He said he can repair one and they won't work til he gets back home sometimes.