Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crayola Ultra Washable markers test + results! >

Crayola Ultra Washable markers test + results!

Crayola Ultra Washable markers test + results!

Old 11-13-2016, 09:14 AM

Default Crayola Ultra Washable markers test + results!

I did a test to see if the Crayola Ultra Washable markers would wash out or set if ironed. I took my test a bit to the extreme, in the sense that I marked darker than I usually would (went over each mark an extra time, so double the ink) and ironed longer than I usually would (I set the iron for a good 10 to 15 seconds on the marks without moving), and washed afterwards with just water and no soap. My iron was at it's hottest setting. The fabric is 100% cotton. I hope this helps others.

on the steam setting, it ran the ink a bit, but nothing horrible. The red and pink left a ghost of a mark which I pointed out with arrows as I'm not sure it will show up on the monitor. They probably would have come out had I used soap. Nonetheless I would probably steer away from those colors, to be on the safe side.
Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
Old 11-13-2016, 09:18 AM

This is great to know. Thank you for doing this for us.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

thanks so much for taking the time to share your results with us
Old 11-13-2016, 10:01 AM

Thank you for taking the time to do such a thorough test. This is so helpful!
Old 11-13-2016, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the photos! Great info.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:38 AM

I've used all UC red marker to mark a real quilt, marking for appliqué & steam pressing multiple times. The red ink sat on the quilt for up to 4 months while I completed the entire quilt before washing it. I didn't add Color Catchers originally & fell asleep, waking up hours later to a pink quilt in my bathtub. I temporarily panicked that my niece's white-on-white background was ruined. All I did was drain & run clear, cool water, added 2 Color Catchers & a Tbsp of Tide Free. With a tiny bit of hand agitation & 20 minutes of soaking, every mark came right out.
I will say that I've found green, blue & purple markers seem to come out the easiest. Still, I use all the colors on a regular basis & every one of them has always come out. I soak for 20 minutes & then launder twice to get that nice crinkle.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

I have marked the last 3 to 4 quilts with these markers and have been pleased...thanks for sharing your results...Will think twice before using the red and pink..
Just thinking out loud here...even with the slight shadow, wouldn't it be even less noticeable with quilting stitches?
Old 11-13-2016, 01:21 PM

I've used the colors as well and they work great! I love the fact that we have a lot of different colors to choose from and the price is right--I don't feel like we are "gouged"as quilters! Probably the whole set of markers costs what a specialty quilting pen costs.

I haven't come across the problem of ironing over the markers, though. I usually use them at the end of the piecing process for the quilting part...once the ironing is done. Then, I wash. Not a problem yet, for which I am thankful!

And oh, I just used pink a few days ago...no problems at all with it washing out. I use soap, and I don't iron over the color usually.

Last edited by justflyingin; 11-13-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:30 PM

Thanks for your time to test these markers. very helpful
Old 11-13-2016, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

I buy the Ultra Clean Crayola markers and I know for sure the blue one washes out of everything. I haven't used the other colors that much. I have a surplus of those.