Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crayola Washable Markers >

Crayola Washable Markers

Crayola Washable Markers

Old 06-17-2014, 07:10 AM

Just note that they must be washed out with soap and water, not just rinsed with water. I have used them a couple of times with no problems.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:18 AM

I have used them quite a lot and really like them and have never had a problem washing them out when I wash the quilt. I always wash my quilts in the washer and with HE detergent because I know that is how it will be laundered in the future. I like the fine tip because I can use it with a stencil. However, it is best to mark lightly so you don't ruin the tip. I personally do not care for frixion pens. They do mark well and iron off nicely. However, because they will reappear if put in a cold atmosphere I know there are chemicals left behind and we really do not know about how those chemicals will affect fibers of fabric and/or thread in the future. I am not willing to take the chance. A good example from the past is the use of salt mordants on silk fabrics.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:08 AM
ro
Banned

I made a quilt using regular normal Crayola crayons. do a search on the web and you'll get instructions. then I just heat set the design. washing was not a problem. some of the markers you need to take extra steps to set the colors. so make sure you read the directions. there was no problem w/good old 64 pack of crayolas.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:22 AM

This is great! I am so excited to try them out. The teacher in me is especially excited because I love school supples!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by dd View Post
I've used them for years. I use all the colors including black and red depending on the color of the fabric and what colors I have left. I have ironed over it and it still came out. I have left a quilt top marked for over a year and it still came out. Love them. I usually buy them when they have the back to school sales. I have used an off brand name and they worked just as well.

Thanks. Great to know. I bought these markers along time ago but have a been a bit timid about using them.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:11 AM

After all the horror stories I have read online about marks not coming out, or reappearing later, I think I will use the doodle on tissue paper, pin down, and stitch through it for quilting. I can tear paper away and wash out any remaining bits of tissue. No surprises that way.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
I've used the crayola markers with good results. A warning though, be sure to remember what color thread you used in the quilt. I used yellow marker on some white fabric. I washed the quilt three times, getting really upset that the yellow marker was not coming out, then realized that the marker had come out, I had used yellow thread on the quilt! Duh!
I love that story! It could have been one of the stunts I pull!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I've used them and they worked well for me. But the tip did wear down pretty quick. Last quilt I used a Frixion pen and loved it. I went over it with a hair dryer to remove the markings before adding the binding. The quilt will get a washing once the label is on.
Me, too. I love Frixion pens. froggyintexas
Old 06-17-2014, 05:15 PM

I took a white scrap of muslin and tested each color of the 50 pack of the Crayola SuperTips washable markers. Not all of the colors washed out. I did them one by one and set aside those that worked. Those that didn't wash out completely with cool water went into a school supply box for our church. I used cold because not all quilts will get washed in warm water. Then I tried Crayola Ultra Clean fine line washable markers. Every color washed out with cold water.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Banned

Nana....

I was *just* going to ask if there is a difference between the washables and the "ultra-clean" ones.

I just picked up my first package of these "ultra-clean" ones just a few days ago - and haven't had time to do my homework or test them. (I have some white washcloths I use for clients here... I was thinking of making one striped and see how it washes out!)

So all of the references in this thread, it seems, are for the "other" washables... nobody else is talking "ultra clean".

Are these new ultra clean ones supposed to be better? Or do the results still vary with these, too?