Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crayola washable markers?? >

Crayola washable markers??

Crayola washable markers??

Old 02-02-2011, 06:05 AM

I am soooo glad I read this today. However, if I had read it three days ago, I would not have been using yellow chalk to mark a dark border.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by cindyjean
I do bridalalterations and have used baby wipes to get the markers out. I used to use them for marking my hems and such.
I work in an Alterations Shop and we use white vinegar to get the marks off from the fabric markers. Sometimes the marks they come back if you just use water to get them off a white or light fabric.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 AM

They have a purple marker that is air soluble.

Baby wipes also takes paint off and think we are using them on the bottoms of babies. Faces too.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:54 AM

The red crayola wash out marker did not wash out for me. So glad I did a test before using them.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I use the markers only not the crayons and I use all colors some are even scented. Sofar so good done multiple quilts but like some one else mentioned I just pop the whole quilt in the washer with regular detergent and wash it on warm. Take it out and check if it is all gone and in the dryer it then goes. The first quilts I did this with I washed with cold water only, no detergent, and there was some ghosting in the very light creme border. I then washed on warm again with detergent. The last of the marks then came out. I would think not to dry or iron any marks. I have a front loader washing machine.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:09 AM

I read on here a while back that Pilot makes a gel pen that's erasable with friction. I think it's called "frixion". Haven't yet had a chance to try it out. Anybody else?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 AM

Should have read all the posts...

I just bought some pens at the quilt show this weekend by Pilot. It is called a Frixion pen. It disappears with heat (120 degrees). You hand wouldn't be hot enough to make it disappear like some of the products I've used and it's a pen so would have good clean lines. I can't wait to try it on my next quilt since I want to learn to do something besides meandering!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 AM

Crayola says their markers are washable. If you have problems with them check their web site or contact them, maybe they have some help for you.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
I read on here a while back that Pilot makes a gel pen that's erasable with friction. I think it's called "frixion". Haven't yet had a chance to try it out. Anybody else?
I tried them and the marks ironed out beautifully but reappeared when I got the test fabric cold. I ironed again, washed in hot water, dried on medium heat and then subjected it to cold and they reappeared.

I was so hopeful that they would have been the utopia of marking. I could imagine myself doing some very complicated lines with them.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 AM

Hi! I love this site, and have learned so much from all you quilters. Thank you.
I just read the question about washable markers. I have used the CRAYOLA washable markers (thin line, not wide) for several years. LOVE THEM!!!
The directions on the back state that you MUST use HOT WATER ONLY when removing the marks. I have never had a problem, just wash in machine using hot water (no soap or detergent) I add the quilt and use the gentle cycle and check to see all marks are gone, then rinse, and a quick regular wash then into the dryer.