Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Crazy Quilt

Dear Ruth;
    There is a book called " Crazy Quilt Workbook". This will help you to make your squares. I am doing a Crazy quilt right now.I found material that has butterflies, teddy bears and japenese material. I will be planning to add pictures to my quilt. This has taken me 2 yrs. to finish. I can't stand doing it all the time.but you know that all of a sudden you want to get back to it. I am also thinking of doing a small purse too.

Well my name is Cheryl K. Lenz and I live in Wisconsin.

try to find things that you like to collect and save it for your crazy quilt. You can also add a handkerchief that maybe your Grandmother gave to you.
    Hope this helps you.
    Cheryl

Try this link, it shows actual video instruction with sound...

www.quiltersnewsnetwork.com

another good website is quilterstv.com....you have 14 videos to choose from, none on crazy quilts at this time, but they add more videos now and then

:roll: oops, I should have mentioned that different videos play all day and depending when you access the link you might not get the crazy quilt video, there are 3 parts playing throughout the day....so click on 'programing' or 'schedule' to find out what is playing/ when.... Sewing with Nancy is on Tuesdays, which is the programing for crazy quilts today.

hope this is helpful

Ruth, there has been lots of wonderful suggestions, some which I have seen, some which I need to check out. I am working on a crib sized crazy quilt right now for my nephew's baby due in April. A book that I have been looking at religiously is "The Magic of Crazy Quilting". It goes into the embellishments quite well. The baby blanket is all one big size, not a series of 12X12 (or whatever) squares. It is also cowboy themed. Hope to have it finished in the next week. Maybe I may share a picture when done. 8)

I've got an unfinished project using neckties for my dad who will be retiring in about 5 years. I'm using the necktie material in a cathedral window pattern with black cotton as the base material.

Neckties rule as material for quilts!

For those of us who feel that everthing should match even in a crazy guilt .I find the best way to get over the fear of not matching is to put a bunch of fabric scraps in a bag. Pull out a piece of fabric and sew. Don't try to make it match. I know its hard but It works well. The chances of getting the same piece of fabric is slim if you mix them well.

If you really have to match I find the stack and wack crazy quilt methed is the way to go

:cry: :roll: :?: Mae: Your quilt is beautiful. I took a class on crazy quilting where you just fold and lay odd sized pieces of fabric (with one 1/4" folded edge) along 1 side of a very thin preshaped piece of pellon (pinning the pieces together and inserting trims as you go). When you have enclosed the pellon with these pieces you then do your seams with embroidery stitches, adding buttons, etc as you go). I have a lovely table runner completed; however, we never got around to putting the batting/backing/binding on these quilted pieces. I am now at a standstill as to how to do this without ruining the top. I would appreciate any guidance in how to do this. HELP

Hi Marilyn,

I cut my backing large enough to wrap around and feather stitch to the edge of my crazy quilt top. As for the quilting, I hand tie it, knotting at the back and using small beads or buttons on the front where the string runs through. With the beads or buttons it just works as added embellishment to your top.

I've made several crazy quilt vests and they turned out better than I expected. I've made large crazy quilt blocks to contribute to a guild quilt.
    They say once you get started making crazy quilt blocks, it's addictive. Whatever else it is, it's challenging, especially toward the end of the block.

If you have any fancy stitches on your sewing machine, they cover many seams painlesslessly. I used baby rick rack to cover seams and "wrapped" it in the curves with embroidery thread. That's a quick technique and it looks spectacular even though it requires little effort.

A friend of mine adds beads, but that's for wall hangings. Just jump in an be happy with the results.

froggy in Texas

Hi Marilyn
    As of yet I still haven't figured out how I'm going to quilt it. Thought I might get together with my sister who has a fancy stitch machine and leave a few seams not hand embelished and stitch those seams into the backing although tying with buttons and embelishment seems like a perfect answer. Thanks for the compliment

Hi, You need 18" to 23" repeats and you need eight of them so the pattern takes 5 to 6 yds depending on the repeat ant the background tales 5 yds I believe. I have made several and they are fun to do.. E mail me back if you need the pattern, good luck with your project, Sheila S

Oh well time to confess, I only made one square,but like all your ideas. I think I like the plain one with all machine stitched pieces "scrapy" for a full quilt, Then I would like to make a wall hanging , with about 4 squares and load it with beads and other goodies. Right now it is in a UFO box. I'll get to it or suffer from guilt cause I bought a bunch of fancy pieces :roll: to put on it. Thanks all, I love all the help you get here

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GramMER
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
    This is part of my first 12 inch square I want to add a little more to it. I'm not happy with it. Next I will try one color.
    At 12 inches will make a nice crazy purse :roll:
    I am not really a "quilter" as most people describe them, but I have made a few and my mother made many in her lifetime. I remember one crazy quilt she made that seemed to follow the old fashioned method of stitching blocks to a piece of newspaper to be sure they were on the square. :? I watched, but never did one myself, but this seems to be something that would fit that.

The lady who did it folded a sheet of newspaper into a triangle (once) and measured both sides to be sure they were 12 and 1/2 inches each. The extra 1/2 inch was the seam allowance. and then she cut the piece on the other two sides to make her square. She said that newspaper was alwyas on the square and there was no fear of "warped" pieces that way.

The next step was to lay a piece of fabric on the corner and add another random piece to it. She called it strip piecing, but it was a far cry from what the books call strip piecing. Her pieces eventually made a few strips, but mostly they were like the ones you show in your photograph.

The advantage I saw to her method was that the piecing went faster and the seams were very secure. She put each new piece onto the next one by laying it upside down where she wanted them to join. She stitched across to make a seam and then flipped the new piece down over the seam and pressed it. Then she was ready for another new strip or piece. She did not do the hand embroidery, but she did lap quilt each square before she put the whole quilt together. It really did look nice.

BTW, this is my first time posting, so forgive my mistakes on what/how to do it. I am a grandmother (GramMER) to 15 and need to get the show on the road if I am to make each of them a quilt before my time comes. :roll:

GramMER
    I think that must have been the kind of crazy 'quilts' I grew up with. There was an old lady in our town would collect all the sewing scraps and make crazy quilts. They were just machine sewn - no fancy stitches. I don't think there were blocks though - the pieces just went on and on over lapping every what way. I wonder if she used a newspaper or what. I used to look and look at that quilt. There were all kinds of odd shapes. Those 'quilts' were tied by the lady's aid. She must have been cranking them out because they were always tying one of Cora Clark's 'quilts'. I was there playing under the frames... sometimes actually 'helping'. Those 'quilts' were thick more of a comforter when the lady's aid got done with them. I wish one would have survived.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3