Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creative Grids Pineapple Trim Tool/Template - My Report! >

Creative Grids Pineapple Trim Tool/Template - My Report!

Creative Grids Pineapple Trim Tool/Template - My Report!

Old 07-08-2017, 07:28 PM

Default Creative Grids Pineapple Trim Tool/Template - My Report!

I had promised a few weeks back that I would post some comments about my experiences using the Creative Grids Pineapple Trim Tool. So, here goes!

First of all, this is what I call a “leap of faith” tool. At many junctures, you’re going to think to yourself “This will never work!”. But it will. I made a complete mess out of my first try because I thought I knew more than the ruler (and its designer). But I didn’t.

Read the directions, and try to go SLOWLY. (Excessive patience is not my forte, but I learned pretty darn quick to slow it down.) Read all the steps through before you start, but once you start, take each step one at a time and do not rush it. There's a whole thought process involved... you'll get it, I promise.

I found it was extremely helpful to stop and press each piece as I added it – with an iron. Finger pressing simply didn’t work for me. I believe the ruler says you can add all the pieces to all four sides and then press, but doing that was not giving me the crisp look that I wanted. The little time it took to get up and press each individual piece was worth it to me.

At first I was trying to “fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants” with scraps, bits and bobs of fabric. Again, that didn’t work well for me. I needed to plan out exactly what fabric was going where, and in what order. That helped immensely with the overall look of the pineapple squares when they were done.

The first (correct) square truly was the hardest… then I was able to make the other two in probably half the time of the first. However, I never got to the point where I could toss aside the directions. I still read through the steps … maybe a little quicker than before, but I checked myself at each point where something was going to be cut off. Measure twice, cut once, as always. And with this ruler, make sure you are cutting from the correct line and have the ruler in the correct orientation. Check the directions because that is super important; you can get yourself turned around inadvertently if your attention wanders. Ask me how I know.

I love the overall effect of the pattern and look forward to making a whole quilt of these squares. I think you could do some assembly-line work with these if you had a specific number of squares in mind. In other words, if my quilt was 12 squares, I would do Row 1 of all 12, then Row 2 of all 12, etc.

I've added pictures below of my completed 36" bench pillow; the first shows it with the pillow form inside, the second is with the pillow cover lying flat on the floor so you can see more detail.

I hope this information is helpful to somebody else. These specialty rulers can be daunting, but this one is great and well worth figuring out! I’d be happy to answer any other questions.
Attached Thumbnails bench-pillow.jpg   pillow-floor.jpg  
Old 07-08-2017, 08:05 PM

Your work is gorgeous. Thanks for the review.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:07 PM

I bought the ruler years ago but have never used it. I thought I would never make a pineapple quilt without it. You have given me confidence to keep it and maybe move it up on my bucket list......
Old 07-09-2017, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

thanks for the helpful hints and i love the bench pillow
Old 07-09-2017, 03:50 AM

Your project turned out amazing! I haven't bought that ruler yet, but now am considering it. I have always admired the pineapple quilts. I bet your next one will be equally beautiful.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:16 AM

Nice project! Thanks for the review.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

Very nice. I received this ruler as a gift but it still has the wrapper on it. I have the Positively Pineapple ruler that is super simple to use. I don't know if that ruler is still available to buy.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:48 AM

Very pretty! Thank you for sharing the info....may be next on the to-do list!
Old 07-09-2017, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Great review! I bought one last year but have yet to use it. Your pillow turned out great and you selected some beautiful fabrics for it. I love the pineapple block and I hope to make a pineapple quilt soon.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty!