Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Creative Grids Pineapple Trim Tool

Creative Grids Pineapple Trim Tool

Hey folks.... I just have to ask... has anyone tried this specialty ruler and had success with it? It's the Creative Grids Pineapple Trim Tool (here it is at Missouri Star: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...pple-trim-tool).

I've always been fascinated by pineapple blocks. I saw this tool demonstrated at my LQS and had to buy it... looked sooooo easy when they demo'd! I worked with it yesterday (almost all day long) and it was driving me to distraction! I went through half a jelly roll trying to get the blocks to come out right. My problem is with the corners... it seems to cut off either too much or not enough, which screws up the next row. I'm 99% sure it's "operator error" (LOL) but I'd love to hear from anyone who has used it too.

I have already watched a couple of YouTube video demonstrations (one by the original designer of the ruler and another by someone from a quilt shop). They make it look easy too.

I refuse to give up!!!!

I have this tool but I haven't had an opportunity to try it out yet. Like you, I saw the demo and it looked super easy. Now I need to take it down off of my pegboard and give it a try.

I do have several other creative grids rulers and I love them.

I have this ruler but haven't used it yet. I think I'll find it and give it a try.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have this tool and absolutely love it! It definitely makes creating this pineapple block easy and perfect every time. I've made one pineapple quilt top and a bunch of pillows and square blocks for donations using this tool. I've had no problems with it.
    Yes it's supposed to cut off corners and extra fabric since that is what makes the blocks square up perfectly.
    If I were you, I would carefully go through the instructions step-by-step to make sure you're not doing something wrong.

Name:  20160229_171026.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  1.65 MB
    Sheep Farmer by day ~ Learning to Quilt by night

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    I made a pineapple quilt but have a different ruler.

This tool be will demoed at our quilt show in June - I've seen it before - they make it seem so easy!

Love it, love it, love it. I made my favorite quilt with it
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1733
Size:  237.4 KB

Both quilts are very pretty.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Those pineapple quilts give me HOPE! I will keep on trying.

I have read the directions many times, but maybe I did miss something. As I try it again, I'm going to come back here and post pictures of my corners... maybe somebody can look at them and determine if I am actually doing something wrong!

Blog Entries
    Both of the pictured pineapple quilts are beautiful. I tried the Creative Grids pineapple ruler, as well as a few others, at a class last year...they were pretty easy but I ended up buying a log cabin and snails trail as I had fun with those too.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
    I have this tool and absolutely love it! It definitely makes creating this pineapple block easy and perfect every time. I've made one pineapple quilt top and a bunch of pillows and square blocks for donations using this tool. I've had no problems with it.
    Yes it's supposed to cut off corners and extra fabric since that is what makes the blocks square up perfectly.
    If I were you, I would carefully go through the instructions step-by-step to make sure you're not doing something wrong.

Name:  20160229_171026.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  1.65 MB
    What a pretty quilt.

I would take it back to the quilt shop with some of my own scraps and ask for some one to watch you use the ruler to see what's going wrong for you. Call first to see when would be a good time to come in.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Both quilts shown above are just beautiful and yet so different from each other. That is the wonder of some of our traditional block patterns. I have made a pineapple quilt the traditional method. I don't know anything about these specialty rulers. I just like the quilts shown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I have this tool but I haven't had an opportunity to try it out yet. Like you, I saw the demo and it looked super easy. Now I need to take it down off of my pegboard and give it a try.

I do have several other creative grids rulers and I love them.
    Same here. Now I'm curious...hmmm!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I just won one at our guild brown bag night. Hopefully I can play with it a bit today. But I'll be watching this thread too.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Oooh, thank you for posting your beautiful quilts made with this tool Sheep Farmer and Mdegenhart. I have all my fabs set aside for my pineapple quilt and your projects make me want to start it soon.

I could be totally wrong, but I thought I made one quite a few years ago by cutting a large triangle then cutting it apart into strips, then turning strips upside down and sewing back together. It was using only one color per pineapple. Like I said, I may have done it wrong but it sure turned out pretty!

There is a tute on this board how to make it by cutting squares. It turns out pretty too.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I've made that quilt but also w/a different ruler. Is there a quilt shop close by? Maybe they can help you. The ruler I used had a center square & lines that you had to line up for the beginning square and then the "rounds" that give the pineapple look. Once you figure it out, you'll wonder why it took so long - I know I did. The lining up begins w/the center square & then the first "round." It gets easier after that. Keep on & you will love the finished product. Can't wait to see your quilt. Happy stitching! Kathy

I have the Pineapple Rule with the book, but haven't tried them yet. A Pineapple quilt is on my bucket list.

https://youtu.be/JVvHRq33s90
    This is on You Tube..She shows how to use it...I want one...
    Last edited by labtechkty; 05-16-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    Kitty

Kitty, I did watch her video (she's the designer of the tool), plus another one from someone who works for a quilt shop. The only problem is, I can't find a video of someone actually sewing the block together. They both demonstrate with step-outs (pre-sewn pieces) which is helpful, but I'd love to see somebody using it to cut and sew the blocks.

Maybe if I figure it out, I should make that video!

After watching a couple of the videos, I have to put this on my to-do list. Oh, and I loved the quilts that are shown on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by labtechkty View Post
    https://youtu.be/JVvHRq33s90
    This is on You Tube..She shows how to use it...I want one...
    She moves from step to step so fast that you don't get the opportunity to see the lines she is referring to. This make the tutorial less effective. I would need to watch it several times to be sure I understood which lines on the grid to follow. She knows her tool so well it looks simple but for a novice or newbbie....difficult to follow successfully. Maybe another tut would be more useful. Chin up Donna C. Bet you will figure it out and show us a beauty before you know it!

Both quilts shown here are stunning to say the least. I'd love to try a pineapple quilt some day, and I smile each time the tool is on sale somewhere..... but it's pretty far down my bucket list.

My LQS demo'd this ruler on tool day and it looked like so much fun I signed up for the class. They had a one sheet cardboard pattern for 3.95 that was a slightly different version so I bought that, too. It was very easy to do and I did watch a u tube the night before the class. The first time you cut off the points you really think you are messing up, but the pineapple isn't about points if you look at it. They are a lot of fun!! Just make sure it is the creative grid u tube videos when watching. Use some scraps for a practice run.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast