Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cricut for custom EPP shapes >

Cricut for custom EPP shapes

Cricut for custom EPP shapes

Old 12-14-2019, 09:28 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 843
Default Cricut for custom EPP shapes

I have been hemming and hawing about getting a Cricut Maker. Now my goto store for all things -- Costco -- has it on their web site. Of course, they're bundling it with a kit I may never use, but it's Costco, so the extra cost is worth it for the low risk of buying (can return it if it doesn't suit the need).

I'm wondering if people have used them for custom EPP shapes, things outside of the basic hexagon, diamond, etc. I want to do "kites and crowns" and things like that. Is it fairly easy to set shapes like that up (I have a fair amount of experience with graphic design software)? Does the Maker cut them accurately? I've heard the margin of error can be up to 5 cm! WOW, that's too much. Is that true?

Does anyone know of resources where people may have set up more intricate EPP shapes on Cricut?

While the Maker cuts fabric, I'll most likely use it entirely for card stock, but it would be nice to have the added functionality just in case.

Thoughts?
TeresaA is offline  
Old 12-14-2019, 10:56 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Posts: 799
Default

I have a Silhouette cutter, not a Cricut. I have used it for all kinds of custom cuts in both vinyl and fabric. I don’t do paper, but it certain cuts card stock. I have found absolutely no discernible error at all. I design in my embroidery software, export the appliqué cutting line, convert it in the silhouette software to a cutting file, then cut the fabric. I take the fabric back to the embroidery machine and finish the design. It has had perfect placement and sizing.
CanoePam is offline  
Old 12-14-2019, 12:16 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 843
Default

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I have a Silhouette cutter, not a Cricut. I have used it for all kinds of custom cuts in both vinyl and fabric. I don’t do paper, but it certain cuts card stock. I have found absolutely no discernible error at all. I design in my embroidery software, export the appliqué cutting line, convert it in the silhouette software to a cutting file, then cut the fabric. I take the fabric back to the embroidery machine and finish the design. It has had perfect placement and sizing.
I've heard people can do that with the Silhouette and also interface it with Bernina to automate sewing applique lines! (soon, we sewists won't be needed at all, LOL). I've been reading up on the Cameo 4 (which Costco is also carrying right now), and people have had problems with it. For instance some complained about it not cutting at all! meaning that they shipped some defective ones. So it's such a hard call. If Cameo 4 had been out longer, I think it would be a no-brainer to go with it, since people say the software is better in general. But Cricut seems more popular and thus easier to get accessories, etc. and maybe it would be better.

Hem. Haw ;-).
TeresaA is offline  
Old 12-14-2019, 12:41 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 831
Default

We have the Cricut at home. I have never used it for sewing projects, but use if for vinyl and iron on's all the time. It will cut cardstock, no problem. the actual program it uses seems to be fairly basic, but I haven't explored its intricacies too much. whatever I want to print, I have my hubby help me design in photoshop, save as a png and then import it into Cricut. works fine. Cricut does not properly import it to the same size as you had it in photshop, so once you bring it into the program, you still have to re size it to the size you want. but once you get it the right size, you can save it in the program and not have to worry about resizing it again for the next time you need it. I have printed multiple images hundreds of times and have seen no issues with that kind of margin of error. The only minor (insignificant) errors/inconsistencies have been on images with a very fine negative space that is to be cut out. (think of a face, that is total less than a square inch, and it is cutting out a freckle-hole that is only about 1mm.) So for EPP, you should be just fine!
LAF2019 is offline  
Old 12-14-2019, 12:53 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 843
Default

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
We have the Cricut at home. I have never used it for sewing projects, but use if for vinyl and iron on's all the time. It will cut cardstock, no problem. the actual program it uses seems to be fairly basic, but I haven't explored its intricacies too much. whatever I want to print, I have my hubby help me design in photoshop, save as a png and then import it into Cricut. works fine. Cricut does not properly import it to the same size as you had it in photshop, so once you bring it into the program, you still have to re size it to the size you want. but once you get it the right size, you can save it in the program and not have to worry about resizing it again for the next time you need it. I have printed multiple images hundreds of times and have seen no issues with that kind of margin of error. The only minor (insignificant) errors/inconsistencies have been on images with a very fine negative space that is to be cut out. (think of a face, that is total less than a square inch, and it is cutting out a freckle-hole that is only about 1mm.) So for EPP, you should be just fine!
This is good news! I went ahead and ordered the Cricut! Costco is also carrying the Silhouette, but I tried to install the Sillhouette software and it stalled out before it even got to the point of installation. I figured they were sending me a message and I should listen, ha-ha. So Cricut, it is.

How long do your blades and mats last in cutting card stock items?
TeresaA is offline  
Old 12-14-2019, 02:35 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 831
Default

I don't cut cardstock, only the sticky vinyl or iron on vinyl. I have not changed my blades at all, and I have had it for maybe 4 years. I imagine it is a different story with cardstock, though. I have an extra blade on hand for when I feel its needed, you may want to keep a few extra on hand, though.

I have found that my computer runs a little lag-gy after using the Cricut program. so I sign out of the program and restart the computer every time i am done. probably not necessary, but I do it anyway.

There is certainly a lot that the Cricut can do that I have not explored. hopefully others on here will offer more information for you. Enjoy your new toy!
LAF2019 is offline  
Old 12-14-2019, 03:31 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 843
Default

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post

There is certainly a lot that the Cricut can do that I have not explored. hopefully others on here will offer more information for you. Enjoy your new toy!
Thanks! I'm pretty excited about this purchase, and greatly excited about the unexplored possibilities, like intricate quilting design stencils, as well as super custom EPP designs. I really can hardly wait!
TeresaA is offline  
Old 12-15-2019, 11:57 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11
Default

I have a Cricut and I have cut material with it. I have also engraved bracelets, made an exploding box for a shower gift, used lots of iron-on vinyl designs for shirts. In Design Space with access, there are basic quilt patterns already made and ready to cut. I love it and was afraid to get going with it. Lots of u tubes out there on the Cricut and how to do things. But I am a u tube junky. That's how I started quilting as well. Enjoy your Cricut. Don't be afraid to jump right in. You also get a couple of little projects to get you started using your Cricut.
balagna5 is offline  
Old 12-15-2019, 12:10 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 843
Default

Originally Posted by balagna5 View Post
I have a Cricut and I have cut material with it. I have also engraved bracelets, made an exploding box for a shower gift, used lots of iron-on vinyl designs for shirts. In Design Space with access, there are basic quilt patterns already made and ready to cut. I love it and was afraid to get going with it. Lots of u tubes out there on the Cricut and how to do things. But I am a u tube junky. That's how I started quilting as well. Enjoy your Cricut. Don't be afraid to jump right in. You also get a couple of little projects to get you started using your Cricut.
I saw some of the quilt patterns, mostly pretty basic, and looked much harder to cut with the cutter than via old fashioned rotary cutting ;-).

I don't see any EPP designs for more complex designs (kites and crowns, etc) in Design Space. Am I just missing them?

I've been playing with creating shapes in Illustrator to bring in to the Design Space (don't have the cutter yet, but can register for the software). It works okay.

I am definitely not afraid to jump right in. However, if it doesn't serve the EPP shape need, I won't have a great use for it. No kids, no grandkids, no need for vinyl art that I can really see. We shall see.

Last edited by TeresaA; 12-15-2019 at 12:17 PM.
TeresaA is offline  
Old 12-15-2019, 01:12 PM
  #10  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 12,360
Default

The machine doesn't have to be perfect for you to have fun and enjoy using it. Isn't that the main goal? Try it out and as you say if you can't justify the value to price then return it. With most business having free no hassle returns it makes it easy to cull the lemons.
Onebyone is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DonnaPBradshaw
Main
8
11-12-2013 09:28 AM
Opal Jane
Main
8
03-21-2012 06:30 AM
GrammaO
Main
5
05-09-2011 02:02 AM
candlequilter
Main
15
10-08-2010 04:10 PM
craftybear
Recipes
0
01-19-2010 08:56 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.