Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cricut Expression >

Cricut Expression

Cricut Expression

Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 PM

I've been looking at the Cricut Expression for some time now, and was wondering if any of you out there had one.
I called and talked to them. I wanted to know if it could be used for cutting designs on material, like applique's, triangles, etc. They said, yes, but very limited, it was mostly for scrap booking and paper.
It would be nice if they would expand the product. Some of the cutouts would be great for borders on quilts. The designs are so intricate you would have a hard time cutting it any other way. Let me know, thanks
Syl
Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 PM

I've been looking at the Cricut Expression for some time now, and was wondering if any of you out there had one.
I called and talked to them. I wanted to know if it could be used for cutting designs on material, like applique's, triangles, etc. They said, yes, but very limited, it was mostly for scrap booking and paper.
It would be nice if they would expand the product. Some of the cutouts would be great for borders on quilts. The designs are so intricate you would have a hard time cutting it any other way. Let me know, thanks
Syl
Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 PM

Yes it is possible to cut fabric but... the design has to be simple. no intricate designs. and nothing to small. I finally after weeks of trying got it to cut fabric just the other night. I ironed on my fusible and I sprayed my mat with 505. I cut out letters that were 2 1/2 inches big. I turned my speed down to low and my pressure up, set my blade depth at 6 and wala. That was the first time I had any success at cutting fabric.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:17 PM

I have the cricut and seen that you can use it for cutting fabric. There are special directions for it before you cut it(I found that doing a search a while back). I have never tried it. I do use it for scrapbooking, but not all that often. I'd love to hear if others are using it though. :) Sorry that I'm not much help.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:30 PM

My sister is the Cricut Queen!! I swear, she really is.:D She tried fabric using different preparation methods with less than favorable results. It worked, but not that great and it was a lot of hassle. That is why I didn't get one. If she can't make it happen, its not worth it for me. IMHO.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:10 PM

Thanks girls for all the answers. You just confirmed that I should wait and see if anything else comes of it. I'm not into scrap booking at all.
After reading all the post and looking at the beautiful pictures of your quilts I have pulled out all of my UFO's to finish. I will go 4 to 6 months of quilting like crazy, then nothing for 2 or 3 months, just have to be in the mood.
I have 6 quilt tops ready to put together, so I went to JoAnn's and got some batting yesterday so that I can finish them. That should keep me busy for a long time. Thanks, Syl