Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
crimped edges >

crimped edges

crimped edges

Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 AM

Jean, in my opinion (and in my experience, as well) an 1/8" seam is too small to be a secure seam in quilting, yes. Other opinions may vary, of course, but it's too small for me to be comfortable with. Personally, I'd forget about using them as 4½" blocks and use them as 4¼" blocks to be safe.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ellifour View Post
I like to use another fabric with the pinked edge. If this is a charm pack, be careful, not all square are the same size within the package. Don't ask how I know.
Oh yeah! Been there! first time out using little precuts on a tablerunner-size pattern for charm squares. It was supposed to be a no-brainer project to do in my open quilting class for fun and learn how to make a hanging sleeve. No two of these Tonga 'treats' were the same size and some were too short to use.

On pinked, I go by the points, not the inner part and hope the little bits of thread don't fall off in the piecing process and leave me with a 1/8" seam.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 AM

Thanks to all of you for your comments.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:28 AM

Thank you everyone. I know I sent thanks on an earlier page but I have been away from the computer and didn't see the extra responses.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:41 AM

My mother does alot of heirloom sewing, she taught me to use a very thin paper stabilizer when using lace, to keep the feed dogs from eating the lace. I know this seems a little off topic, but the paper stabilizer was about 1/2in- 1in wide and was very much like a piece of tissue paper (little thicker) I tried googling it but cant really remember the name. I did however find this:
http://www.thecolorfulworldofsewing....tabilizer.html

You could easily take the 3in one and cut it into 1/2in strips, lay that down then put the pinked edges on it. Then use the edge of the paper as your guide through the foot, if you pin it so the peak of the pinked edges touches the edge of the paper, you wont have to worry about trying to eyeball it and should get a consistent 1/4in seam.

You would also be ready to join lace if ever the desire struck you
Old 08-11-2013, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
My mother does alot of heirloom sewing, she taught me to use a very thin paper stabilizer when using lace, to keep the feed dogs from eating the lace. I know this seems a little off topic, but the paper stabilizer was about 1/2in- 1in wide and was very much like a piece of tissue paper (little thicker) I tried googling it but cant really remember the name. I did however find this:
http://www.thecolorfulworldofsewing....tabilizer.html

You could easily take the 3in one and cut it into 1/2in strips, lay that down then put the pinked edges on it. Then use the edge of the paper as your guide through the foot, if you pin it so the peak of the pinked edges touches the edge of the paper, you wont have to worry about trying to eyeball it and should get a consistent 1/4in seam.

You would also be ready to join lace if ever the desire struck you
Thanks for the link. I did check this out but decided against purchasing it.
Have a great day.