Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: crimped edges

crimped edges

I bought some squares and they have those crimped edges.....first time I've used that type of edge. I have brain freeze and I just can't remember what the crimped cut is called.
    Anyway.....how do I judge the seam allowance with these? Do I sew quarter of an inch from the end of the little pointy areas or from the all-fabric edge? I am guessing it's the latter.
    Hope you understand what I mean.
    Thanks.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Do you mean pinked? I don't like them either. If possible I combine a pinked piece with a straight piece and figure the seam allowance from the outer edge.

Yes, I too assume you mean pinked. I agree with Madquilter. Hopefully, they are a little oversized with what you need so they can be trimmed down a bit. Good Luck.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I am with the others, not a fan of pinked edges. They just throw me off my edge.

Yes that's it!.... pinked!....I was trying to remember what the scissors that cut the edges were called...it's pinking shears...could not remember that.
    I want to join edge pieces that are both pinked.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I hate those edges. I straighten them up by trimming them to a straighter edge. Pinking to me is for scrapbooking. Never did understand it. still frays if they're pinked.

What matters is the measurement between the seams, not the seams themselves. Sew whatever seam allowance gives you the finished size you desire. You only need to worry about it if it's not wide enough to be a secure seam, and that's not going to happen with a commercially cut square.

Assuming they're supposed to be 4" finished, take a ruler and measure that width in the center of the square. What's left over on each side will be the seam allowance with pinked edges. From that you'll get an idea of what you're aiming for. Make sense?
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    Do you mean pinked? I don't like them either. If possible I combine a pinked piece with a straight piece and figure the seam allowance from the outer edge.
    hey, martina... great idea!!!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I don't.ike them as they make such a mess with all those little valleys.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I've used them. just place the edges toward your 1/4 inch foot just as you would do with straight cuts. don't push inward as you sew and all should be well.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I'm someone who loves pinked edges. Before I take a quilt top to the LAQ, I try to cut away all the threads that have unraveled on the wrong side of the quilt top. That takes me forever, and even though I listen to an audio book while I work, cutting away those threads is not my idea of fun. With the pinked edges, there are no loose threads to cut away. That's why I love pinked edges.

Blog Entries
    Pinked edges have never bothered me. I don't see the pinked at all, I just see the edge.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I haven't used them but it seems that they would confuse me a bit.
    May give them a try soon.
    Last edited by ranger; 07-05-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Okay, I think I have a handle on it.
    Thank you so much to those that replied. It is appreciated. Special thanks to ghostrider.

According to Jenny Doan on MSQC, the tops of the "pinked edges are where you measure from.
    BJ

I like pinked because when using two colors of fabric I can see the bottom and know that the edges are even.
    Indiana Diana

I like to use another fabric with the pinked edge. If this is a charm pack, be careful, not all square are the same size within the package. Don't ask how I know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Lea View Post
    I like pinked because when using two colors of fabric I can see the bottom and know that the edges are even.
    Great idea!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Jenny Doan says the 1/4"s measured from the peak of the pinked edge. They are really great with fabric that tends to ravel.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    What matters is the measurement between the seams, not the seams themselves. Sew whatever seam allowance gives you the finished size you desire. You only need to worry about it if it's not wide enough to be a secure seam, and that's not going to happen with a commercially cut square.

Assuming they're supposed to be 4" finished, take a ruler and measure that width in the center of the square. What's left over on each side will be the seam allowance with pinked edges. From that you'll get an idea of what you're aiming for. Make sense?
    I am trying to work with a pinked charm pack and in order to have a 4-1/2" finished block, I sometimes need to make almost a 1/8" seam. Is that too small? I'm concerned about raveling. Anyone can answer this. I used ghostrider's quote because she explained it. Thanks in advance for all opinions.
    jean

Jean, in my opinion (and in my experience, as well) an 1/8" seam is too small to be a secure seam in quilting, yes. Other opinions may vary, of course, but it's too small for me to be comfortable with. Personally, I'd forget about using them as 4" blocks and use them as 4" blocks to be safe.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by ellifour View Post
    I like to use another fabric with the pinked edge. If this is a charm pack, be careful, not all square are the same size within the package. Don't ask how I know.
    Oh yeah! Been there! first time out using little precuts on a tablerunner-size pattern for charm squares. It was supposed to be a no-brainer project to do in my open quilting class for fun and learn how to make a hanging sleeve. No two of these Tonga 'treats' were the same size and some were too short to use.

On pinked, I go by the points, not the inner part and hope the little bits of thread don't fall off in the piecing process and leave me with a 1/8" seam.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all of you for your comments.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Thank you everyone. I know I sent thanks on an earlier page but I have been away from the computer and didn't see the extra responses.

Blog Entries
    My mother does alot of heirloom sewing, she taught me to use a very thin paper stabilizer when using lace, to keep the feed dogs from eating the lace. I know this seems a little off topic, but the paper stabilizer was about 1/2in- 1in wide and was very much like a piece of tissue paper (little thicker) I tried googling it but cant really remember the name. I did however find this:
    http://www.thecolorfulworldofsewing....tabilizer.html

You could easily take the 3in one and cut it into 1/2in strips, lay that down then put the pinked edges on it. Then use the edge of the paper as your guide through the foot, if you pin it so the peak of the pinked edges touches the edge of the paper, you wont have to worry about trying to eyeball it and should get a consistent 1/4in seam.

You would also be ready to join lace if ever the desire struck you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast