Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crooked stitches with Janome MC8200 >

Crooked stitches with Janome MC8200

Crooked stitches with Janome MC8200

Old 09-22-2021, 07:36 AM

I have a HD9 V2 straight stitch only machine, sews through leather, 16 plus layers of fabric, not that I would, has a large Bobbin with a quarter more thread. Most sewists a re buying this machine for purses, totes, jeans, upholstery, boat covers and quilting. You do have to oil it alot. But only takes 4 tiny drops in 4 places. The Bobbins are metal, and cost a little more, but this machine is worth it. REMEBER ALL JANOMES, along with other brands made over seas, are going up on price now. And the dealers have put out warning notices that machines will be scarce due to shipping issues. Check the dealers. The HD9 runs at 1600 stitches per minute. Fast Machine, good straight stitch, no zig zag. You can do FMQ and ruler work in this Machine. You can get extra feet for industrial machines for very low prices. Lots to offer. Check out the HD9 facebook group
Old 09-22-2021, 08:22 AM

Microtex needles (generally for piecing, not quilting) and starched fabric (harder to pierce than unstarched??? Perhaps a trial run with a Schmetz chrome size 90 quilting needle may produce a more consistent stitch.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Onebat View Post
Hi there
Can anyone tell me if this is the best straight stitching I can expect from a Janome MC8200 or similarly priced machine?
I have no idea how much a Janome MC8200 goes for, so I can't tell you if all "similarly priced machines" are the same. But I will tell you that my Brother 1500 is an awesome machine with a perfect stitch. It's mechanical and straight-stitch only.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:31 PM

I agree that the only way to get a truly straight seam is with a straight stitch only machine. I have three vintage machines set up. My straightest stitcher is a Singer 15 clone made for Montgomery Wards - probably from the 50s. My 1949 Necchi is another. The slant needle Singers are very good, but not as perfect as the two mentioned.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:12 AM

I have Janome machines, I worked in a Janome shop and sold them. They are a good machine. I switched to Bernina machines for my own studio just because of the reason you stated. My complaint is more the jagged (herringbone) looking stitch that I think comes more with the drop in bobbin and the tension they produce. I think your pictures may be more related to the type of fabric used. I think the straight stitch only machines are a good option. I am happy with my stitch on my Berninas.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
FYI, the 2200 QVP Mini was discontinued fairly quickly and had been replaced with the 18QVP (which offers improved lighting and adds a micro lift adjustment for the presser foot, but is otherwise a 2010).

The 2020PE is a silver-finished 2010 with several additional feet (mostly hopping feet for the US market; garment making for the Japanese market).
Interesting. The lighting isnt' great on the 2200, but I have a lot of other lighting in my sewing room so it's not bad. I like the 2200 because it came with a nice package of feet that that 2010 didn't have. At least that's what I was told.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:03 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Interesting. The lighting isnt' great on the 2200, but I have a lot of other lighting in my sewing room so it's not bad. I like the 2200 because it came with a nice package of feet that that 2010 didn't have. At least that's what I was told.
I believe the 18QVP comes with the same feet the 2200 did. The 2020 adds a few more, but they are just more variations of hopping feet - open toe, 1/5", 1/4", echo foot, ruler foot since the hopping foot doesn't have an interchangeable toe. Both have the zipper, rolled hem, walking/even feed, and compensating feet.

The 18QVP and 2020 do have the new replaceable tool plate next to the throat plate (for attaching things like binding tools, seam guides, etc.. Instead of just threaded screw holes in the machine casting, there's a plate insert that can be replaced if the screw holes wear out. Did the 2200 have that?

I've been researching straight stitch machines since I've gotten into more home dec sewing (but not enough to justify an industrial machine).
Old 09-23-2021, 07:27 PM

I learned to straight stitch by using newspaper advertisement columns bars, just stitch up the length of the full page lines dividing ads, practice-practice -practice ....
Old 09-25-2021, 11:40 AM

No..you can get better stitches on that, (or any) machine. I suspect that your presser foot is riding too high and the fabric is shifting as you sew..look in your owners manual and see if there's an adjustment for the presser foot...also, check to see if your screw that attaches the foot is tight....also, make sure you're using the correct needle and that it's up into the needle bar all the way.

Last edited by donna13350; 09-25-2021 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added info on needle
Old 09-25-2021, 01:12 PM

You didn't say if you were using the accufeed foot or not. Your batting seems puffy, an accufeed foot may help, and also moving your needle. If your needle is.closer to feed dogs, I heard that helps too. But accufeed foot would help.