Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 120

Thread: Cross Stitched Pictures in a Quilt

  1. #26
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,423
    Blog Entries
    1
    DG, your wall hangings are beautiful!

    Frugalfabrics, they would make a beautiful quilt(s)

  2. #27
    Super Member stichinluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Western Kansas
    Posts
    2,082
    A lot of different stitchers made blocks when my daughter was pregnant. I then put the blocks together in a quilt. He's loving it to pieces! Here's a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #28
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    Quote Originally Posted by stichinluvr
    A lot of different stitchers made blocks when my daughter was pregnant. I then put the blocks together in a quilt. He's loving it to pieces! Here's a picture.
    Wow! That is beautiful...looks like it's holding up really well. Thanks for sharing.

  4. #29
    Super Member stichinluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Western Kansas
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    The ones that I have are all on the aida cloth...someone mentioned to put a fusible backing on them...which I hadn't thought about. that will definitely make a difference in using them. So yes, I think it's a go!
    I put fusible interfacing on the back of each block but hadn't thought about that until I read this post. The quilt is holding up great and Rhys is almost 4.

  5. #30
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    Quote Originally Posted by stichinluvr
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    The ones that I have are all on the aida cloth...someone mentioned to put a fusible backing on them...which I hadn't thought about. that will definitely make a difference in using them. So yes, I think it's a go!
    I put fusible interfacing on the back of each block but hadn't thought about that until I read this post. The quilt is holding up great and Rhys is almost 4.
    love your avatar...did you make it?

  6. #31
    Super Member stichinluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Western Kansas
    Posts
    2,082
    Thanks. Yes, I made the avatar for my sister's 50th birthday.

  7. #32
    Super Member quiltwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,930
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    I have a bunch of the precious moments pics - they are really big. Aren't they just adorable with your big eyes.
    I was enthralled with them! I still have several of the books. I made the wedding party to resemble my wedding--still have the blocks, never did anything with them. :oops:

  8. #33
    OlgaT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orinda, CA
    Posts
    13
    I have been cross-stitching images that I downloaded into a x-stitch software program. The attached wall-hanging includes a x-stitch of a Frida Kahlo painting. As you can imagine, it took me a really long time. I quilted a border, did some free motion handwriting, and attached Mexican milagros (a type of "charm").

    my Frida Kahlo cross-stitch
    Name:  Attachment-152856.jpe
Views: 97
Size:  91.1 KB

  9. #34
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    Wow! that's alot of x-stitch in that picture....amazing! Very nice work...it's great to see these pieces of art.

  10. #35
    OlgaT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orinda, CA
    Posts
    13
    Thanks! I have others that I will share. I always find that I start a new cross-stitch project when a crisis strikes! I find Frida Kahlo's paintings have an intense meaning for me. All that concentrated cross-stitching is a type of therapy for me. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing this photo.

  11. #36
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    I totally enjoyed x-stitching when I did it. I've had too many hand and arm surgeries and my hands can no longer grip the fabric/hoop to do it anymore...and my eyes took a dive on me.

    I took up quilting after I could no longer do x-stitch...so it actually turned out to be a blessing, because I really enjoy quilting.

  12. #37
    OlgaT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orinda, CA
    Posts
    13
    Barb, That's a big fear of mine. I have neck problems so I can only cross-stitch for a short time. You may or may not know that Frida Kahlo suffered many surgeries in her lifetime. I became familiar with her because my late sister felt an affinity with Frida. My sister started suffering from rheumatoid arthritis in her 20's. She had numerous surgeries, including a spinal fusion. The painting in my cross stitch shows a column in frida's body. I try to be careful with my hands and neck, but I admit that sometimes sewing is just too much of a temptation for me. It's what I love to do. I'm sorry to hear that you have had to deal with surgeries. Olga

  13. #38
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    Quote Originally Posted by OlgaT
    Barb, That's a big fear of mine. I have neck problems so I can only cross-stitch for a short time. You may or may not know that Frida Kahlo suffered many surgeries in her lifetime. I became familiar with her because my late sister felt an affinity with Frida. My sister started suffering from rheumatoid arthritis in her 20's. She had numerous surgeries, including a spinal fusion. The painting in my cross stitch shows a column in frida's body. I try to be careful with my hands and neck, but I admit that sometimes sewing is just too much of a temptation for me. It's what I love to do. I'm sorry to hear that you have had to deal with surgeries. Olga
    I'll have to look up Frida pics...they look very intrigueing (sp?). I too have a spinal fusion, in addition to my other ailments, but thankfully, that hurts less than the other ailments, so I still quilt and worry about the pain later. I usually wear a kozy kollar heated neck wrap while I quilt and sew, so I don't get deterred by the pain. When I'm at my machine, it is definitely therapy like no other...I can get lost in my sewing room for an entire day and never take the time to eat, drink, or go to the bathroom!...lol. It truly is a passion, that I'm glad I found.

  14. #39
    OlgaT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orinda, CA
    Posts
    13
    There are tons of websites on Frida Kahlo. A movie was also made of her life, with Selma Hayek. Frida was a fascinating woman. I'm sorry to hear you had to have a spinal fusion, I know that it is a traumatic surgery to experience. It sounds like you have a very optimistic attitude. I love the quotation you use in your signature!

  15. #40
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    She definitely endured quite the painful (physical and emotional) life....I can relate! especially the line about pain and passion.

    Thanks for the info...I posted a link in case anyone else wants to read it. It's very interesting.
    http://www.fridakahlo.com/

  16. #41
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    Quote Originally Posted by OlgaT
    There are tons of websites on Frida Kahlo. A movie was also made of her life, with Selma Hayek. Frida was a fascinating woman. I'm sorry to hear you had to have a spinal fusion, I know that it is a traumatic surgery to experience. It sounds like you have a very optimistic attitude. I love the quotation you use in your signature!
    Romans 12:21 is my quote...didn't put the scripture number because I wasn't sure if that was allowed on the board.

  17. #42
    Super Member Jennifer22206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    4,775
    Blog Entries
    4
    I have a few really small cross stitched pieces that I've done that I'm making into miniature quilts for Alzheimers Research! (http://www.alzquilts.org)

    I have done a few, I first stitched the piece onto muslin for stability, then added borders and made a mini wall hanging. That's another option!

    Do NOT throw them out! Never ever!! please!!

  18. #43
    OlgaT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orinda, CA
    Posts
    13
    I couldn't open up the URL you mentioned. Perhaps there's a typo in it?

  19. #44
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386

  20. #45
    Super Member Jennifer22206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    4,775
    Blog Entries
    4
    sorry!

    http://www.alzquilts.org/

    forgot the www. part.

  21. #46
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    great site...I'm watching some videos on it right now..thanks

  22. #47
    Jim
    Jim is offline
    Super Member Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bardstown, Kentucky
    Posts
    2,241
    We have quilted hundreds of cross stitched quilts for customers...and have never had problems with them

  23. #48
    Junior Member pippa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Posts
    176
    After Mum died I got a series of oriental flower pictures she had cross stitched. When I find the right fabric for sashing I am going to make them into a lap quilt for my sister. I have done lots of wall hangings for myelf and friends (amazing how many cross stitchers don't sew!)

    The pictures are not all the same size so this is going to take some planning. There was also a final one in the series which she didn't finish which I will put the last stitches in.

    The central part of my avatar is cross stitched.

  24. #49
    Senior Member puck116's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MA and FL
    Posts
    416
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have some cross stitch pictures that my mother made. She's passed and I was wondering the same thing about incorporating some into a quilt to hold her memory.

  25. #50
    Super Member teacherbailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tucker, GA
    Posts
    2,072
    Love the tree with the (I think) Fruits of the Spirit on it! Great combination of quilting and cross stitch>>>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.