Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it crucial? >

Is it crucial?

Is it crucial?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:34 AM

Default Is it crucial?

I'm new at quilting, and am making a quilt for my new grand-daughter to be...I've finished the top and it measures 38 1/4 X 44 1/4 exactly. Per instructions, my backing needs to be cut at least 3" larger than the quilt on all sides... My backing piece (what's left of it) only measures 41" x 51 1/4". Obviously, although the backing is bigger, it doesn't equate to 3" inches on the 2 sides of the quilt. I'm assuming that the 3" requirement has to do with the quilting - meaning maybe it draws up during the quilting process? I don't want to have to go buy more material for this small amount.....how crucial is it? Thanks for any advice...
Old 08-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I've made small quilts with backing only slightly bigger than the top, similar to your proportions, and they've turned out fine.

What basting method are you planning on doing, though? I think spray basting keeps everything lined up the best, with the least likelihood of running short on the backing after quilting. Be sure to read some of the tutorials on how to baste with basting spray. With a backing such as yours, you want to be sure to get the top centered accurately. One of the reasons extra fabric for the backing is recommended is so that, if you are off a bit on centering, you will still have all 3 layers in the quilting.

Do you plan to machine quilt? If so, I highly recommend heavily starching the backing and top before layering. For a small quilt, several layers of spray starch on each would be enough. (I usually use a very heavy starch solution on backing fabrics.) Starch stabilizes the top and backing so they are much less likely to stretch or distort while you are quilting.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:03 AM

The extra inches on all sides are for your long arm quilter. They need this to set it up on their frames. If you are quilting it yourself, you can do with less. A little extra is always good in case your fabric moves while quilting it. This is normal but often not too much. Welcome to quilting.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:07 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Since you have quite a bit extra on the other two sides, you can cut some of that and sew it on the side that is short, if you feel you need to.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 AM

You should be fine. Just make sure there is enough batting and backing on
all sides when you sandwich your quilt.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 AM

I have been told by a long arm quilter that she needs that much extra to hold everything while she quilts. When I quilt myself I hardly ever have the backing that much bigger than the quilt top. Often I have had them both be the same size and things worked out fine - - at least to my standards
Old 08-30-2013, 09:19 AM

Are you quilting it? Or sending it out, to LA (long arm) quilter?

38.25" + 6" = 44.25" & 44.25" + 6" = 50.25" In a perfect world you would want your backing 44.25 x 50.25. When it is quilted, yes it draws it in, some. With only 41" and needing 44.25" IMHO I would add more fabric. Do you have any left overs from your piecing. How about splitting the the 41" and use some left over fabric to make it, you would have a stripe piece down the middle, large enough ... no trip to the store.

If you are sending it to a LA they need the 'extra' to help mount it. I usually add 4" when sending my quilts out. It depends upon what the LA wants (3 or 4). But the sad part is that when we square up our quilt, all that extra that we needed, end up in our scrap drawer.

I made some twin quilts for my 2 DGD's and had purchased the fabric out of state and DID NOT have enough. Like you close, BUT not enough.... so I sewed on a small strip. Made sure I talked to the LA, that I really did not plan on the extra strip to be in the finished quilt. She mounted it accordingly, when I got them back & squared them up... poof no one knew but me.

Good luck
Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 AM

As others have said, if you're planning on doing the quilting then you don't need a lot of extra fabric on the sides. A lot of times I only have an inch or two and have always come out just fine.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:36 AM

Should be fine if not add an extra border and then finish or put a wider binding on to cover the problem or cut quilt down. Make none of these decisions until after the quilting.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 AM

I recently made a baby quilt, in which the backing was only wider, by the selvedges. I had neglected to actually measure the backing, before making the top. Didn't want to piece the backing, so left off the planned borders, centered the front, batting, and backing, and made it work. Since I use the Elmer's School Glue for basting and do the (simple) quilting myself, it was no problem. Needless to say, I do not recommend doing what I did . . . but you should be fine.