Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a curbside find.....w/questions >

a curbside find.....w/questions

a curbside find.....w/questions

Old 08-23-2011, 05:52 AM

Your Dressmaker is a badged machine, most likely made by White Sewing Machine Company. Got pictures? :)
Old 08-23-2011, 06:02 AM

Someone probably didn't know what to do with it so set it out for the trashman. Machines used to be made of metal so it would be heavy, which can be an advantage when it comes to sewing for long periods of time and on thicker fabrics.
Give it a cleaning yourself and oil it and then use it. You will figure out how to get the bobbin out, tip it to the back so you can see the underside and then go at it. It has to come out and you will find the solution to the bobbin case. Maybe someone will come up with a manual you can copy.

Carol J.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM

Is the bobbin in vertically or does it drop in horizonally. If it's vertical, there is a little flip release across the middle. Flip it out and it becomes a little handle for removing the bobbin. A drop in should just lift out. The vertical is great for FWQ.

Take the machine apart as far as you can - top off - bobbin race out and clean everything with sewing machine oil. You'll be amazed at how well the old metal machines sew, but you'll do it no favors sewing with it dirty.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by merry
Thanks, merry...gonna check it out.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Is the bobbin in vertically or does it drop in horizonally. If it's vertical, there is a little flip release across the middle. Flip it out and it becomes a little handle for removing the bobbin. A drop in should just lift out. The vertical is great for FWQ.

Take the machine apart as far as you can - top off - bobbin race out and clean everything with sewing machine oil. You'll be amazed at how well the old metal machines sew, but you'll do it no favors sewing with it dirty.
It is a vertical bobbin. I am going to follow your directions and really appreciate your input. Thanks so much. This will be my first step to restoring it.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 AM

I have one that my sister gave me. VERY heavy. Love the way it sews and handles. mine is model s-3000
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

MIL has a dressmaker. She is persnickety (MIL and machine). But they get along well. I couldn't maker the machine work for me.